Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - FoxyJukebox

What is the best kind of second hand car to buy from a dealership? The 8 types of vehicle (below) often come up as topics for discussion-but which is the best to go for and which is the worst.

1) A two year old vehicle obviously part exchanged to the dealership by a private selling customer.

2) A vehicle with high mileage tarted up to appear brand new.

3) An over used or abused rental or motability car that has not been doubtfully cared for.

4) A car out of PCP contract.

5) A "demonstrator"

6) A vehicle over three years old with a new MOT and a detailed maintenance history plus dealer's guarantee

7) An approved used car with one previous owner that has done 18000 miles and has not YET had a service.

8) An immaculate vehicle , clearly from an auction house with only limited past history

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - SLO76
By far the best stock we ever got in came in the form of customers 2-5yr old part exchanges against new or nearly cars. These were people who had the funds to maintain their cars properly and were upgrading because they fancied a change and not because their motor was knackered.

Best of the lot were cars traded in for another of the same brand, means they were happy with the car and wanted another.

Funnily enough though it was often the kind of owner/keeper you'd expect to maintain a car well that does the opposite. As a Mitsubishi franchise we did a lot of business with local farmers and the bulk of cars they traded in were mechanically well maintained but bodily very poor thanks to baked on mud that was never washed off and I'm not just talking about 4wd's and pickups here, they usually ran a second family car.

Motability cars also are sold to punters as if it's a good thing but you'd be horrified if you seen the state most of them are returned in. Yes they'll have been serviced correctly but they're all too often abused by keepers and their families, seen as a freebie car they don't care about.
Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - peter moss

Or as my dad used to say ,secondhand car son load of greif !

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - daveyK_UK
By far the best stock we ever got in came in the form of customers 2-5yr old part exchanges against new or nearly cars. These were people who had the funds to maintain their cars properly and were upgrading because they fancied a change and not because their motor was knackered. Best of the lot were cars traded in for another of the same brand, means they were happy with the car and wanted another. Funnily enough though it was often the kind of owner/keeper you'd expect to maintain a car well that does the opposite. As a Mitsubishi franchise we did a lot of business with local farmers and the bulk of cars they traded in were mechanically well maintained but bodily very poor thanks to baked on mud that was never washed off and I'm not just talking about 4wd's and pickups here, they usually ran a second family car. Motability cars also are sold to punters as if it's a good thing but you'd be horrified if you seen the state most of them are returned in. Yes they'll have been serviced correctly but they're all too often abused by keepers and their families, seen as a freebie car they don't care about.

Agree 100%

My brief time working with hyundai and som3e of their dealers, the best trade in vehicles where exaclty as described 2.5 years to 5 year old ex-customer part ex cars.

Have heard many a horror story with motability cars that despite having full service history where in seriously poor condition or had parts missing or replaced shortly before it was sent back to the motability fleet group.

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - Cyd

I'd say number 1, but with the age range expanded to between 2 and 5 years. Both mine and my wife's current and previous cars fall into this category. My Saab was 3yr 3mth old with 42k when I bought it a little over 5 years ago. It's on 107k now and is a superb motor. My wife's C1 was 2 1/2 yrs old with 6500 miles on the forecourt of local Fiat dealer, where the lady had px'd it for a 500. My car spent it's early life in Glasgow and the wife's was local.

These are exactly the sort of cars I've always tried to buy. I prefer to buy privately but I don't mind buying from a dealer if the car ticks all the other boxes. I wouldn't touch ex Motability with a barge pole, nor anything that hasn't had at least one oil change per year, nor anything with trim damage or that has been smoked in.

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - Engineer Andy

Which you could probably class them as an 'ex-demo', many pre-registered cars never even make it into the showroom, many I've seen site outside in all weathers for ages, just having their engines started a few time a week and revved for a few minutes. Not sure if that isn't any good for them, including the brakes that might seriously rust up/bind if not used and sat outside for ages.

My Mazda3 suffered quite a bit over the last 2 years from a lack of use (only 1900 miles in 2015 - I going to work by train) and has now paid the price by the brakes needing work/replacement to the tune of £400+. They probably would've been ok (not much wear in previous years) if I'd used the car more than the once a week (coldest winter weeks)/fortnight (rest of the year) for a 25 mile round trip to a nearby town for shopping (just to keep the battery topped up).

Some cars that are essentially 'new' but have sat around for months outside and not gone anywhere (OK if just a few days/weeks) would worry me if the dealer did not include a 'refresh' service to put it in roadworth condition, especially components like brakes that (like mine did) stick if they sit around not been used for ages.

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - skidpan

In the family we have had pre-reg cars and 6 month old ex hire cars. Not had an issue with any to be honest but have to say pre-reg were the best buys. Got a Mondeo back in 2002, 6 days old when we bought it, 11 miles on the clock, registered to a lease company but never left the supplying dealer. Saved £4000 off list, which was £17000 at the time, about 25% discount. Most delaers were selling 6 month old ones for more.

Getting a good 2 or 3 year old one owner car is another good way of saving money but there is always a risk the car is a lemon and they are desperate to get out of it. Plus there is no way of knowing how the previous owner drove, not all drivers have a degree of mechanical sympathy (not talking about wrapping it in cotton wool - nothing wrong with driving enthusiastically) and a lot of damage can be done in a very short period.

Buyer beware as always. And never believe a salesman.

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - SLO76
"Buyer beware as always. And never believe a salesman."

True. Most dont know one end of a motor from the other and will tell you anything to sell you a car whether it's right for your needs or not. I'm frequently asked to look at cars for friends and family and it never ceases to shock me how little product knowledge the bulk of them have.

Of the dozen or so sales staff that worked in our two branches there were only two of us who actually had an interest in cars, myself and an old fella who had a Corvette C3 in his garage.

The rest just bluffed their way through or had to run back and forward to the two of us to answer any customer queries or to have trade ins assessed. Most larger dealers now don't allow sales staff to asses and value cars and instead the manager has to do it but was a vital part of learning.

I used to check everything that came into stock, looking for service books, extras and checking for faults etc so I knew what I was selling but no one else did - did pay off with regular treasure finds down the back seats. Though this did also land me the job of doing the local press adverts. Always amazed me they sold as many motors as some of them did.
Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - John F

It depends on your mileage. If more than 15,000 p.a. I suggest nearly new with a known reliable powertrain with less than 10,000m. We once got an ex-rental plush Passat which gave another 200,000+ miles

If only around 5000m p.a., the best buys are around 4yrs old with up to 80,000m, especially larger good quality models as these might have been treated better. They are usually cheap because the accountants write them down by 25% a year and don't care what they get for them. My 77,000m 4yr old A6 gave another 55,000m and was still going strong when sold at 15yrs old.

Best kind of second hand car to buy ? - Andrew-T

What is the best kind of second hand car to buy from a dealership? The 8 types of vehicle (below) often come up as topics for discussion-but which is the best to go for and which is the worst.

Several people on here, such as SLO76, will put your classifications in order of preference based on long experience of trading. However you are only buying ONE car, which is a statistically insignificant sample, so you can always be lucky or unlucky. An important factor may be whether the previous owners bought the car intending to 'own' it or just 'borrow' it.

So far I have managed to stay lucky nearly all the time, often buying private, sometimes from non-franchised dealers, occasionally from franchised. My most recent sample of one was an ex-rental from a Peugeot dealer, 8 months old with 13K miles. Since then it has done 50K and needed only regular servicing, two sets of tyres and a set of brake pads. Ex-rentals can be a turn-off, but not in this case.