New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - Steveieb
Chosen by a friend as the cheapest at £39 she was amazed at the service they received when a spring broke last night.
Local recovered and even provided a taxi at a cost of £80 when one of the party was unable to climb on the recovery vehicle.
Now I understand why they have been voted no 1 in Which
New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - RT

Is this a troll advert?

New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - Wackyracer

He is a fairly regular poster RT so I doubt it's anything more than a friend of a pleased customer.

New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - Steveieb

the incident happened to my partners daughter last night.

i have no connection with start or any other commercial organisation.

the incident happened to my partners daughter last night.

i have no connection with start or any other commercial organisation.

Apologies for casting aspersions.

I did look at their website and the various choices look good value - although I wonder about their claim that 80% of breakdowns can be fixed at the roadside - I've had a few over many decades and the last one fixed at the roadside was 30 years ago - cars have become more complex and dependent on electronics since then.

New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - gordonbennet

I'll have to take a look at this too.

With Autoaid at the moment, which has changed hands in the last year and i haven't checked recent feedback to see if they are still as good at honouring claims, i've never needed their service but sods law dictates when i do it will be a mssive failure that needs the car and us transporting hundreds of miles home, so don't want to find out too late that a service doesn't do what i want it to any more.

Start Breakdown Recovery uses Call Assist who are also used by many insurers as well as some other branded recovery services - the recovery/breakdown service is contracted-out to local providers (as do the big name brands in remote areas).

Call Assist have had issues with providers refusing unprofitable jobs but that presumably affects all the brands involved.

New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - Doc

Autoaid works out cheaper , because Cover applies to you and your legal spouse or civil partner as shown in the schedule.

New kid on the block - Start Breakdown Recovery - skidpan

Aviva Rescue cannot be beaten IMHO. We have joint cover which covers me and wife to drive any car and also provides cover for any car we are passenger in. One named vehicle is covered for any driver, irrelevant for us but useful if an offspring uses a car.

All for £58 a year.

The RAC provide the man and a van. Only used them once, Friday teatime rush hour, were with me within the hour. I had explained to them on the phone that the car was immobile and needed a flatbed which they sent, they took me strait to a local garage of my choice who had stayed open late for me.

My previous experience in a similar case many years ago with another provider was they sent a man and a van who then told control he could do nothing and needed a flat bed. They arrived 14 hours later.

Some years ago a friends daughter and boyfriend were off to Cornwall in their oldish car. Friend insisted they get rescue/recovery and they bought the cheaped they could find, "Trotters international Rescue". Fortunately they were not needed, I had visions of a plastic pig turning up.

Edited by skidpan on 16/12/2016 at 17:47

Over the years, I had both AA and RAC providing the service under the car maker's warranty cover - both were found severely wanting when needed due to delay of 3-4 hours before first contact. As a result I keep my Green Flag cover going now and ignore car makers' warranty cover (I've no idea who provides VW warranty cover).

On the 3 occasions I've needed them, Green Flag have had a contractor there within the hour and with the right recovery vehicle - a flatbed as 4wd automatics can't be towed but when that happens with AA/RAC you have to wait for the patrol to arrive and then arrange the flatbed with another long wait.

Green Flag isn't the cheapest but it does provide the needed service - a cheap service that doesn't deliver is useless so don't buy on price, buy on cover/service.