Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - hiswife

I have just bought the above car with 117k the problem is that on tick over the engine/exhaust note alternates between sounding as it has an exhaust leak and having a blocked exhaust also when driving it seems the turbo works then it doesn't work, any thoughts please? thanks Ed.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - elekie&a/c doctor

Did you do any research before purchase?Take a good look here;www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/focus-2004/?sec...d

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - SLO76
This engine is notorious for turbocharger failure and often the blades disintegrate and are ingested by the engine which effectively destroys it. Quick search online for PSA 1.6 HDi engine failure/faults or similar will flag up no end of woe. It's a terrible engine. I'm no mechanic but as a trader I avoid anything with this engine fitted and best advice I'd give would be to have a mechanic check to make sure it's not something simple like an air leak or a gummed up EGR valve and if it's not then I wouldn't bother spending the money to fix it, it's likely the previous owner has already spent a fortune on it. Punt it to auction and accept it as a lesson in motoring... never never buy a cheap old turbo diesel, it's a complete false economy. Best option on a tight budget is a simple petrol engine.
Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - hiswife

I am no expert but if it works one minute and not the next it aint the turbo.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - SLO76
Does it have a DPF? A blocked diesel particulate filter would cause power loss and a strangled exhaust note possibly. Pretty sure they started in 05 in the 1600 so worth checking. EGR valve is another likely candidate. Have you checked to see if there's any fault codes logged? if not I'd ask your garage to check. Just too much to go wrong on a modern diesel to make a cheap one viable sadly. Hopefully it's not the turbo but here's a thread worth reading on the subject. Best of luck. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=91541

Edited by SLO76 on 07/12/2016 at 22:31

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - skidpan
Does it have a DPF?

A 2005 on an 05 plate will not have a DPF. The 1.6 TDCi was not fitted with a DPF for Euro 3 cars. The 110 PS Euro 4 version was fitted with a DPF but they did not start shipping into the UK until September/October 2005 i.e. they will all be on a 55 plate or later. I believe the 90 PS never had a DPF even for Euro 4.

We had a 2005 1.6 TDCi 110 PS on a 55 plate which was a registered December 2005. It was one of the last Euro 3 cars that Ford were desperate to sell before they had to pre-register the remaining Euro 3 stock before 01 January 2006. It did not have a DPF. The chap we sold it to 6 years ago is still running it, done about 82,000 miles now so not a high mileage, annual oil changes and still no problems.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - 05 Focus 1.6 Tdci turbo - S40 Man

My wife had this model and year focus. I thought it was a good car. A little slow taking off but ok after that. She did eventually get a blocked get valve which I cleaned up ok. she changed routine and only did 2.5 mile trips which didn't suit the car.

It did (blocked egr) cause hesitation but no odd sounds. On longer trips egr was fine as engine warm. Can you take yours for an Italian tune up {razz it round a bit). Some super diesel might also help?

See how that works?