Vauxhall cavalier 2.0 Auto 1994 - Vauxhall Cavalier gets very hot in traffic - KCSRenault

Hello,

I have recently started using my grandfathers vauxhall cavailer, after he has given up driving. THe car has recently had £600 worth of work done, including water pump, belts etc.

My problem is when stuck in traffic the temperature guage gets hotter and hotter, and it seems to be a very high temp before the radiator fan kicks in.

The car does not overheat any over time and does not lose coolant, no signs of head gasket problems.

Could the radiator be clogged due to lack of use for many years, or likely a thermostat problem.

Many thanks

Vauxhall cavalier 2.0 Auto 1994 - Vauxhall Cavalier gets very hot in traffic - elekie&a/c doctor

If the rad fan does cut in and the engine does not overheat would tend to suggest there is not much wrong with the cooling system.However,it is possible that the gauge reading is not too accurate.Also,some of these old cavaliers had 2 speed cooling fan system.so it is possible it is not working on the first slow speed.

Vauxhall cavalier 2.0 Auto 1994 - Vauxhall Cavalier gets very hot in traffic - Railroad.

This is quite normal. The temperature gauge on all Vauxhalls back then used to read very high before the fan cut in. In some cases almost up to the red. As previously said, as long as the fan does cut in, and the engine does not overheat I wouldn't be worried about it.

Vauxhall cavalier 2.0 Auto 1994 - Vauxhall Cavalier gets very hot in traffic - slowdown avenue

do you have air con. might have two speed fan . yours is only coming on at the higher temp .

Vauxhall cavalier 2.0 Auto 1994 - Vauxhall Cavalier gets very hot in traffic - S40 Man

If you are really worried try using the cabin heater on full.

The heater takes heat from the engine cooling system.

That's why you can't get warm air first thing in the morning.

The extra heat directed to the cabin could really help when such in traffic.

It's an old trick but then so is a 90's cavalier these days.