Pug 307 2.0l 110bhp "01 - Hdi 2.0l not starting air in fuel lines - WherEmEweeD

So my old car 110k the other day she just lost power and died. wouldn't start up again. its been gradually getting worse at starting in the morning.

It now will only start if i pump the fuel 'grenade' pump untill its hard and even then it will only run for a few seconds. there is a lot of air in the fuel lines to the fuel filter from the 'grenade' and also to the fuel pump from the fuel filter there is air. iv tried loosing the injectors and bleeding some fuel through and tightening them but no luck.

It has been very cold recently and i have been running the car low on fuel. also a side note for the past week i have been driving to school with no alt just swapping batteries. I have now put a new alt in but due to this problem i cant drive her anywhere unfortunately.

I cant spot anywhere under bonnet where theres any leaks tomorrow i will be spraying fairy liquid water on hoses to see. i havent checked hoses under car yet. when i pump the 'grenade' hand pump it will go hard and then slowly lose pressure and air bubbles will appear.

Any help much appreciated im having to get the bus to school which isn't fun so cheers guys in advance

Pug 307 2.0l 110bhp "01 - Hdi 2.0l not starting air in fuel lines - hardway

Stop screwing around with the injectors,

That trick only wors on older diesels,

Not HDI's.

Now normally I'd use a "Mityvac" vac tester but as you don't have one you can use the grenade.

Way to do it is remove and blank off the lines and use the primer to generate vacuum and see if it holds/goes hard.

Systematically do this every where you can,

If the primer goes soft or wont go hard then the vac leak is in the area your testing.

So start by blanking of the fuel filter housing,

lines in and out as the fiter housings are known to go porus and seal leak failures.

Or you can buy a vac tester and do it properly,

look in Ebay for vacuum bleeder tester,

Cheapest on is £13 or so.

Pug 307 2.0l 110bhp "01 - Hdi 2.0l not starting air in fuel lines - Railroad.

There is nothing to be gained by slackening the injector pipes on a common rail diesel, and will achieve nothing except to cause damage to components and could be dangerous, so don't do it. It's possible now you could have injector pipes or injectors leaking which will have to be renewed. The fuel pressure gets up to around 30,000psi (1,800bar) which is why you do not touch them.

The secondary fuel side does not need bleeding. If your problem is with the fuel supply then it will only be on the primary side.

Edited by Railroad. on 14/11/2016 at 09:40

Pug 307 2.0l 110bhp "01 - Hdi 2.0l not starting air in fuel lines - Peter.N.

I would concur with the above. The fuel filter housing is a favourit point for air to enter the system, has the filter been changed lately? It could be that you have a blockage in the tank, I believe there is a filter at the end of the intake pipe.

If you can find the pipe that comes from the tank try disconnecting it and blowing down it, if you can hear bubbles in the tank it should be clear.

Pug 307 2.0l 110bhp "01 - Hdi 2.0l not starting air in fuel lines - bathtub tom

i will be spraying fairy liquid water on hoses to see.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. It's drawing air in, not pushing it out, so you won't see any bubbles. If you spray Fairy Liquid around the affected area it'll draw that in also and possibly make the problem worse. I can't imagine what a mixture of Fairy Liquid and diesel fuel will do to injectors, or if it would even combust.

Edited by bathtub tom on 14/11/2016 at 12:53