Cooking smell - roadrunner
Sorry for my ignorance, but whenever I switch on the heater fan I get all sorts of smell. This happens even if I have cool air blowing.

Smell range from egg to curry.

My car is a Carlton Diplomat , with 122,000 on the clock. Runs extremely well.

Can anybody enlighten me ?

Roadrunner

Cooking smell - Andy P
Does it happen all the time, or only shortly after the engine has been started? Does the car have a catalyst? If so, you can often get a smell of rotten eggs as the catalyst starts working. Once it's hot, the smell disappears.

Andy
It does not happen all the time, only occasionally. I am not sure if it only happens after the engine has been started. I have to observe it over the next few days.

No idea if the car has a catalyst. I will have a look at the hayes manual.

Thanks

Roadrunner
Cooking smell - Dynamic Dave
Does the car have air-con? If so, it might need deodourising.
Yes there is air-con but I don't think that is is working. I only get hot air or normal temperature air (not the cool , icy air that you normally get with air-con)

Roadrunner
Cooking smell - Railroad
Check the heater matrix for leaks. Does the winscreen mist up when you switch the blower on?
The windscreen does not mist up when the blower is switched on. Any other way of checking for leaks?

Roadrunner
Cooking smell - Yoby
Sounds very much like heater matrix to me. I had exactly the same a few years back on a Renault. Slightly fish&chippy smell, but not as nice. Check for dampness on or under carpets. Will slowly get worse, until rusty colours start coming through the carpet!