A6 vs E class - NAthan smith
Hi need advice on whether to go A6 or E class? Looking at a saloon on a 63 /14 plate diesel 2.0 tdi or E220. Anyone suggest the better car or things to look out for? Are the merc belt or chain driven?
A6 vs E class - Avant

First of all read the road tests on this site under 'reviews'. Then get a good long test drive in each which will help you see which you prefer to drive. The Audi is FWD or 4WD and the Mercedes is RWD - this may influence you.

Most of the available cars are diesels, although I wouldn't advise you to buy a diesel if your mileage is mainly short journeys.

A6 vs E class - Bladerrw

I've had a 2013 2.0 A6 Avant Auto from new (done 36k miles) and it's been great. Cheap to run, comfortable and nothing's gone wrong.

When I bought it, I considered an E Class but the Audi was so much cheaper and had a better base spec.

If you go for an A6 of this vintage be aware that from April 2013 they had a spec change which included DAB and electric tailgate which are nice to have.

The one extra I would look for is the bigger fuel tank. Standard is 65L, good for 600+ miles. The option is a 75L.

Autos need an oil change at 40k miles.

The CVT gearbox is very smooth, quiet and relaxing but some may not like it. I've heard the manuals quickly develop a judder as they move off which is hard to fix.

This engine has the VW cheat software on it although all reports from Audi owners seem to say the fix is undectable by the driver. I haven't had it done yet.

If I was buying again, I would do better man maths and get the 3.0 Quattro as the 2.0 is sluggish off the mark.

A6 vs E class - concrete

Avants point is well made regarding RWD or FWD/4WD. My brother was a Merc man until a few years ago when we had a few harsh winters and he couldn't get the RWD Merc off his drive. Switcjed to an Audi quattro and has been with them ever since. Really likes them and they are also cheaper in most respects then a Merc. The diesel option should really only be considered if you are travelling well over 15k miles per annum, otherwise petrol is the way to go. Good luck with your choice. Concrete

A6 vs E class - Happy Blue!

SWMBO and I went executive car shopping a couple of years back. The Audi A6 was near the top of the list but ended up at the bottom. Only because the interior didn't suit us. We simply couldn't get comfortable. The E-class was far superior in that regard - hence I have an E350.

Both are decent cars, but take a long test drive in each first. I had the advantage of driving an E220 belonging to a colleague so I knew fairly quickly that the Audi didn't suit me, but for my wife it was interesting how she also decided fairly quickly that the arrangment of seats, steering column and dashboard didn't fit her body shape (and she's not exactly fat).

A6 vs E class - Bladerrw

Any basis for the 15k miles a year comment Concrete?

A6 vs E class - RT

Concrete may have more specific information - but generally petrol is better for anything less than 15,000 miles/year - there are exceptions though, when turbo-torque is vital, eg towing.

A6 vs E class - Fernando P

Also, if a diesel is mainly used for long/longer runs and you like driving one as I do.

A6 vs E class - concrete

Hello Bladerrw. I have driven diesels for the past 20 years. At first reluctantly when the company switched the fleet from petrol to diesel. Then I became quite a fan, especially as the manufacturers put more technology into them. It was when I withdrew from the company car scheme and provided my own car that it became interesting. I was covering between 25/30k miles per annum and claiming the HMRC mileage rates. I always had an annual surplus after finance, fuel, service, insurance, VED etc. I carefully worked out the financial position and came to the conclusion that about 15k per annum was hovering around the break even point, barring any major disaster. Anything above that started to provide a fund for repairs or replacement, which gradually builds up to a tidy sum. There are of course disadvantages as well as advantages. Also some common sense rules to follow. Always buy a good reliable car and maintain it well. Buy with the head not the heart. Colleagues came unstuck with big BMW, Merc, Jag syndrome. You can drive what you like but be circumspect. You can be unlucky and buy a car that does not turn out to be good, that's life. The other major factor for me and many others is this; you get to keep all of your Personal Income Tax Allowance instead of losing a major chunk of it from BIK tax. This in turn leaves more to put into the pension pot for later, a fact that will be much appreciated in later life. hallelujah!!

Sorry for the long explanation but I thought I would give you the benefit of my thought process at the time and still so now.

Cheers Concrete

A6 vs E class - NAthan smith
I know the Audi are cam belt and change is recommended every 5 yrs or 80,000 miles but have no idea on the E220 Cdi?
A6 vs E class - RaineMan
I know the Audi are cam belt and change is recommended every 5 yrs or 80,000 miles but have no idea on the E220 Cdi?

My understanding is that the E220 uses a duplex timing chain which with regular oil changes will last over 200k...

The 220 Cdi engine is chain driven and requires an oil change @15000mls or annually if less.

A6 vs E class - Cluedo
I am going to do something here I would normally tell people not to so please excuse my hypocrisy by suggesting an alternative to the 2 you are looking at.
Have you considered the Skoda Superb ?
Basically they are the same car as the A6 with a different badge and based on the reviews I have read is probably a better car with better customer service from the dealer network.
Also you will be able to get a newer version.

But - the Skoda Superb has, according to HJ, a "DSG automatic (that) can sometimes lack quick response and be hesitant".

Edited by Fernando P on 01/11/2016 at 09:24

A6 vs E class - Avant

Isn't the S-tronic transmission on Audis other than the 3-litres the same thing as DSG?

A6 vs E class - Bladerrw

Superb and the A6 of the 2013/14 era seem to share very little.

Edited by Bladerrw on 01/11/2016 at 23:30