Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - Cluedo
Hi folks, my MOT time is approaching and at the last MOT I had an advisory stating that the brake imbalance ? was just within limits and would need repair or adjustment. I have no idea what form of repair or adjustment would be required.
Can any of you guys advise what a garage would do to fix this on 2003 Toyota Corolla.
Cheers.
Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - RobJP

So you had an advisory that your brake imbalance was wrong - but within limits - and then proceeded to ignore the problem for 11 months. You'd no idea if the problem was getting worse, if the brakes were still working to a safe standard, you just presumed they would last another year.

Words fail me. They really do.

Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - madf

Brake imbalance can be front to rear or side to side..

I assume it is side to side so worn disks or pads.. I assume fronts..

I think it is drums on rear so maybe handbrake needs adjusting as well.

As you appear to have no maintenance done from year to year and are happy to wait till the last minute you are likely to be screwed on cost.

I would have thought - depending on work - £250- £500 or more.

(It is depressing when you obviously don't care about your own safety and those of others)

Edited by madf on 25/10/2016 at 16:43

Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - Wackyracer

Impossible to say unless you can provide information such as the brake test figures or which axle and if the service brake or parking brake.

If the front axle, most likely a partially seized caliper. If the rear axle on service brake, maybe a seized/leaking cylinder if drums or caliper partially seized if disks.

If the fault is the parking brake maybe handbrake cables need adjustment or replacement but, it could well be worn/contaminated friction material in all cases.

Edit: just beaten to it by Madf

Edited by Wackyracer on 25/10/2016 at 16:43

So just to clear a few things up. The car has been serviced every year - the first 10 years by the main dealer and the last 2 by a local independent. It is discs all round and since having the advisory I have checked monthly for signs of too much or too little wear pad to pad and disc to disc. So I have not ignored the problem as the car does not pull/dive under heavy braking and the ABS works ok as I have tried that deliberately when safe to do so.
I suspect as above it may be a sticky calliper or a leak but the brake fluid that has been changed very 2 years is still full and there is no wetness around the wheels. Also the MOT is due in the middle of December so I was trying to plan ahead somewhat.
It is disappointing that some people just jump to the wrong conclusion - words fail me as the saying goes !
Thank you for the sensible helpful replies though.

Edited by Cluedo on 25/10/2016 at 17:10

Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - gordonbennet

If there's a brake imbalance measurable then it makes sense that under extreme point of locking braking, especially on slippery surfaces, that whether you can feel it through the steering or not, that imbalance could possibly lead to instability, think how little grip there is on compacted snow for example and how little effort is required to lock a wheel, ABS being little short of useless in such circumstances.

If it had been my car it would have been dismantled on my drive immediately coming home from the MOT test, whatever the cause hasn't mended itself during the year, that slightly sticking caliper slider (if thats the problem) might have seized fully by now and you might not be braking at all on one pad, which isn't the end of the world in itself but if a sliding caliper isn't sliding then something is bending instead, how many braking operations before metal fatigue becomes a problem?

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/10/2016 at 17:58

Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - Cyd
So I have not ignored the problem as the car does not pull/dive under heavy braking and the ABS works ok as I have tried that deliberately when safe to do so.

An MoT station uses very expensive and calibrated equipment to test the brakes. However, despite their equipment, the testers knowledge and their advice that attention was required, you did nothing except for a bit of hard braking somewhere.

Did you know it is a requirement of your insurance that you maintain your car in a safe and roadworthy condition and that failure to do so can render your insurance invalid? And that anyone can look at your MoT history? If you had been involved in an accident a third party could have used your lack of maintenance as proof of culpability.

"with power comes responsibility"

An MoT station uses very expensive and calibrated equipment to test the brakes. However, despite their equipment, the testers knowledge and their advice that attention was required.

I have to disagree with this! I've had my car fail on rear brakes efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) . According to the 'Testers Knowledge' he expects the brakes to work better than they are designed to work. The rear wheel cylinders have inbuilt pressure regulators which prevent the rear wheels from locking.

According to Vosa, they know about this 'issue' with cars being unfairly failed for working as they were designed to.

Many thanks for your constructive comments. My reason for leaving and monitoring it is that the Car does 3k a year and was in limits after the MOT. I agree that maybe it should have been looked at and I will get it sorted (what I objected to in my last post was the assumptions that were made assuming I do not service the car etc. - why would people just assume negative intent)

I really wouldn't worry too much about it Cluedo. Despite some people thinking NT's are god themself, they do get it wrong more often than some people might think.

My car that failed it's MOT on rear brakes below requirements has been confirmed by Vosa this morning as actually being almost 3 times the requirement. According to Vosa as long as there is a minimum of 20kg effort per rear wheel and the minimum overall braking requirements are met then it's not a reason for refusal, so at 57kg on each rear wheel it should have passed with flying colours.

Toyota Corolla - Brake imbalance - yokel38

Its probably a sticking caliper or two. Your mechanic may be able to free the sliders up, but in all honesty will probably require them replacing. Its a fairly common issue on the late model corollas as they're all knocking on a bit now.