Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - stephen22

Can anybody give me some expert battery advice?

My 2010 Fiesta auto is used for short journeys, almost never needing road lights. Unused for a week recently because of broken spring. Today it wouldn't start because battery was flat.

On testing, voltage 11.5V dropping to 6v on using starter motor.

Charged it up to 14.4v, falling to 12.5 volts when charger disconnected. Car now starts ok, voltage drops only to 10V during use of starter motor.

Voltage increases to 13.3V when engine running and revved up.

Does the battery's performance under load suggest that it's not the cause of the problem? The car seems to be charging it all right.

Expert advice would be very welcome! best wishes to all

Stephen

Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - Peter D

The battery voltage should rise to 14 to 14.25 volts when it is fully charged and engine running. Regards Peter

Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Very likely to be the original battery.now needs replacing
Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - FP

Most likely to be the battery on its way out. You might be able to keep it going by using the charger from time to time, but with colder weather approaching I would replace it; cold weather is very demanding on a car battery.

If you have any doubt, lots of places will test it for free for you.

Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - Cyd

Voltage increases to 13.3V when engine running and revved up.

To charge your battery effectively an alternator needs to be able to maintain a voltage of 13.8 to 14.2, maximium 14.5. Below 13.8V the battery is not being charged properly so if it's only maintaining 13.3 even with a few revs then I would suspect the alternator.

Repeat the test with the engine running at about 1500rpm and load it up with lights, hrw, etc etc. Does the voltage fall even further?

You don't say how many miles your car has done, but it could just be that the brushes are worn. These can be replaced. However most DIYers are not equiped to test other aspects of the alternator so the most cost effective solution is probably to get an exchange reconditioned unit. I know an excellent place in Coventry if it's within striking distance.

Check the unloaded voltage and starting voltage again today and see how results compare. Also until you've fixed the alternator keep the charge topped up every few days.

Short journeys are also a battery killer so find an auto electrician and have the battery properly load tested. The lack of proper charging over a period of time may have done it in and winter may yet see it off. As a DIY alternative disconnect your injector loom and crank the engine for 30s. Tell us the voltage at the start and end of this test.

Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - Cyd

Do you have access to another car and a set of decent jump leads?

Connect them together with yours running. Is the charging voltage still low? Now connect them together with the other car running, does the charging voltage improve to the 14V region? If yes, then it's not your battery pulling the voltage down and more evidence your alternator needs replaced.

Ford Fiesta - Flat battery - stephen22

Thanks so much for your help guys. Just what I needed. Today the voltage went up to 14.3 with the engine ticking over, so from what you say the battery should be charging ok. (I was just surprised that if the battery is duff, the voltage didn't drop more on load.)

Guess I just need a new battery.

best wishes to all