Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Handbrake cable adjustment - argybargy

Further to comments on the Motoring discussion forum, I've had the handbrake cable replaced on my Focus 1.6Ti, 2007 plate.

I've little or no confidence in the garage where I had the job done following an issue with broken trim, so having read somewhere that a new cable will stretch after a while and will need adjustment, I'm going to do it myself.

Haynes says (and I paraphrase) do it when the brakes are cool, tighten cable adjustment nut finger tight, raise handbrake 12 notches, fully release handbrake, slacken adjustment nut to end of threads, then raise back wheels and remove drums. Ensure handbrake still fully released, insert 2.0mm feeler gauge between handbrake lever end stop and rear shoe on each side then tighten adjustment nut till the handbrake lever starts to move. Remove feeler gauge and refit drums.

Sound fairly simple, but are there any potential pitfalls to watch out for?

Cheers.

Probably asked the wrong question there.

Maybe I should have said, "is there an easier way to do it?"

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Handbrake cable adjustment - gordonbennet

Well now you mention it, the method sounds a complete faff, but then i haven't had much to do with Fords since the 80's, seems they've gone backwards.

Generally for almost all cars (assuming you have drum rear and/or parking brakes, even if the drum is inside a main disc brake) you make sure rear shoes are fully bedded in, and that the handbrake cables are loose, then if there's any manual adjustment in the drum adjust it up, if auto adjusters that they are working correctly, and the very last thing you adjust up is the cable itself.

But as i said i'm not into Fords so maybe faffing about with feeler gauges is really necessary, at this point i'll shut up..:-)

Cheers for the response.

I live on a very steep hill, and although I leave the car in gear to be on the safe side, until I had the cable replaced I was yanking the handbrake up to its ultimate notching. Which presumably has resulted in the old cable eventually stretching beyond the point of any further automatic adjustment.

The alarm bells went, firstly when I noticed that there was a couple of inches of looseness in the handbrake before it started to bite, and finally when the offside drum locked on during a short journey and treated me to the whiff of burning brake linings.

I only ask about adjusting the cable because I read somewhere that after a while a new cable will stretch, and will need manual adjustment.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Handbrake cable adjustment - hardway

Hand brake faults are usually down to a complete lack of servicing!

Last Focus I did was so bad the drums/hub needed a slide hammer to remove them.

And even finding "that" tool took a looong time,

hadn't use it for years.

Anyhoo rear shoes wear and rear selfadjusters well stop and don't.

Usuall incompetance means some monkey tightening up the cable to achieve h/brake.

Works for this years MOT but dumb in the long run.

Eventually it does what yours did.

Remove the drums and check for shoe liner thickness or better yet replace the shoes and self adjusters.

If the drums are up to it grind the lip of the inner diameter.

If not renew the drums.

Cable do not "really" strech in normal use.

they're there to pull the mechanisim on.

not as a strength test for monkey's.

Cables DO snap all the time.

Had a Merc sprinter in years ago where this bear had acually tore the H/brake mechanisim out the floor.

Cables were fine but not the spot welds.

Anyway my idiot test is if the rear H/brake is servicable when puuled on say 5 clicks you should not be able to pull away in first.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Handbrake cable adjustment - Wackyracer

I have to agree with Hardway, most poor handbrakes are just unserviced rear brakes.

Like GB said, that adjusting proceedure does sound a bit long winded.

As said above, I attribute recent problems to parking on this steep hill and perhaps giving the handbrake a bit too much oomph.

In normal driving the brakes feel pretty good, and I have replaced the discs and pads recently. However to me at least, shoe replacement looks a bit more challenging, what with all those springs and things.

I've only once tried to change shoes on a car, a VW Golf, and in the end had to call a pal to finish the job for me, what with bits ejecting themselves all over the tarmac.

Nowadays mobile phone cameras make it easy to take pics for easy reference as you go along, and they are often clearer than the photos in the manuals. And of course you can use the undisassembled (is that a word?) side for reference if unsure. So maybe I should do a shoe change just so that I know how all that drum/spring/shoe malarkey comes apart and then goes together.

See you back on here when it all goes wrong.

tum tee tum, bet he won't be typing so fast with the skinned knuckles and broken nails he's currently collecting...wonder if Argybargy's neighbours are going to learn as many new words as they did when i did the parking brake shoes on the Merc without the right horshoe spring removal tool, shan't make that mistake again

:-)

seriously though, hope it works out, well done for having a go, you can always get your mate to pop down and drink your beers whilst he watches over you.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/09/2016 at 18:07

Cheers for the encouraging words, GB. (Well, I think they were meant to be "encouraging" anyhow. )

My neighbours are JWs, so with luck they'll invoke the forgiveness clause when they hear me screaming blue murder as my springs go bouncing into the nearby undergrowth.

But hey: life is meant to be one long learning curve, innit?

Here's a bit of encouragement for you. It's a focus I did a few years ago.

www.dropbox.com/s/qmn5iy95cg98h61/SAM_0745.JPG?dl=0

Useful solid trolley jack there WR, not one of those soppy toy things with a cup you'd struggle to fit a large free range boiled egg in.

Machine mart GB, its very stable, goes much higher (and lower) than cheap DIY ones.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Handbrake cable adjustment - liammcl

just wondering, Argybargy
how much extra is a pre-assemled unit,
which would be ready to put straight in?

when I did mine.. they had a deal on with the wheel cylinders
(which needed replacing)
both sides for £60

fitting the brake unit was dead easy,
no messing about with springs...

just an idea...
s103.photobucket.com/user/liammcl_2006/library/MOT...1

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 02/10/2016 at 05:04

eg,
(and I'm not related, in any way, to eurocarparts etc)

Fully assembled kit for £50 (30% discount till midnight Mon, applied)

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/liammcl_2006/12v%...g

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/liammcl_2006/12v%...g

Cheers
Liam
ps this may not be the actual product code for your car... I guessed

Edited by liammcl on 02/10/2016 at 05:27

Where did you get the driveshaft from Liam?

Thanks again, all. I had no idea it was possible to purchase a pre assembled unit and just swap them over. Well, I don't mean "just" as in "its a piece of p*** ", but presumably much better than searching in the bushes for lost springs and rummaging desperately in the drawer for plasters to staunch the flow of precious sanguinity from knuckle rash.

I'm warming to the idea of having a go, anyhow, but it depends what other expenses come by this month till I get paid again. I'm a poor ex public service pensioner, you see, and my indulgences have to be rationed accordingly. But it would certainly lay a particular ghost, slay a specific dragon, if I were able to successfully change a set of shoes, and I guess a Ford Focus is as good a place to start again as any.

There's a flat bit at the top of our precipitious road, so with my neighbours' indulgence I could stick the car up there, prop it up on the level with a half decent trolley jack that probably needs a small top up of oil to make it absolutely safe, and my still glistening and hardly used axle stands. Weather's still OK for outside work, too.

Edited by argybargy on 02/10/2016 at 11:42

Sounds like a plan ArgyBargy

I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination
but I found it pretty / quite easy to do.. when it's pre assembled.

No dramas or cuss words were encountered that day :)

took about an hour or two , if I remember correctly.
but there's no rush, ..doesn't matter if it takes all day.
(next time, it'll take about 20 mins)

Enjoy slaying those dragons ... & give them a kick up the butt from me too :)

Cheers
Liam

Hi WackyRacer,
£27 from ebay.

Next day delivery, delivered by van....
you can track the van, to see exatly where it is, and the eta.

Very impressive, tbh.

The driveshaft's been on for 2 years , and about 30,000 miles
no problems.

(well the driveshaft seal on the car went after a year, but it was an old one.
new one was about £5 to replace. I would've replaced that too...in hindsight)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-106-3-STUD-WHEEL-DRIVES...Y

best thing is they have a telephone number, for numpties, newbies like me :)

(ie if unsure call our helpline 0121 770 5636 )

cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 03/10/2016 at 01:07

ps, and I have nothing to do with this company, etc
and it's not my testimonial

"Testimonial:

I don’t normally write testimonials, but I have to make an exception for J&R driveshafts! I race in the MSA British Rallycross Championship in a turbo charged Peugeot 206. Due to the power and the type of track surface I race on, I have suffered many driveshaft failures, normally in the points scoring final, which is extremely frustrating. I had been using genuine shafts, thinking that that was the best way to go, until I tried a pair of J&R driveshafts, as I needed a pair in a hurry. After using the shafts for a few events, my failure rate had dropped to zero!! After speaking with Lee Jones, he told me that their driveshafts are made from forged steel…. as standard! So, for the price, in my opinion, there is not a better shaft available!! Thanks to J&R driveshafts, I will be challenging for the title this year!! ."

Many thanks Liam, I had suspected it might be one of theirs. I have fitted a couple of their CV joints and stretchy boots in the past and not had any complaints but, I've seen good and bad reports on their driveshafts. So it's nice to be able to get a report from someone thats fitted one themself.

Thanks from me too Liam.

Have bookmarked that company for when the need arises, large range too, 7 pages for Subaru alone plus CV joints and boot kits for the Landcruiser front axle (rear axle live) all at very good prices.

It just so happens that a little while ago, I needed a replacement driveshaft for my Focus, and a man at the local breakers' yard pointed me in the direction of J&R. However, he told me that this was a personal recommendation because his employer tended to use another company for their replacement parts.

I actually ordered the right hand, driver's side shaft from J&R at a cost of 28 quid and it arrived nicely boxed, and obviously brand new a few days later. Then the fun began, because I retrospectively trawled the internet looking for reviews and found some bad ones. Not many, but enough to make me think I might have made an error (albeit not an expensive one). I ignored the obvious point that people who are happy with such purchases tend not to go to the bother of posting about them on internet forums.

With hindsight these shafts just seemed too cheap, so I went back to the breakers and bought a recon one from their normal source for 90 quid. Its on the car and seems fine, but the J&R shaft continues to languish under a sofa bed in our spare room because the cost of returning it to the company made it unviable to do so.

So if anyone wants a right hand driveshaft for a 2007 Focus....