Minor car scratch incident. Advice? - Rory Lee

Hey everyone.

Last Wednesday 21st me and my wife dropped our 2 little boys off to school. My wife was driving down the road, loads of cars was parked on our right hand side and there was double yellows on our left.

There was 1 park car on our left on double yellow, as we was passing the car a car in front came speeding around the corner aiming straight at us. Head on collision! My wife swerved to her left causing her left wing mirror to scratch the back end off this illegally parked car. Our car also took a bit off a battering above our back wheel. The car speeding didn't slow down nor stop, he hit a few park cars but scratched our right side and continued to speed off.

My wife pulled up, really busy with people and cars "outside a school at 9am" so she parked further down the road where it was less busy. When the lady came out from dropping her kids off to school I approached her about the scratch. All she responded was "Are you serious" how annoying! Anyways her and my wife exchanged mobile numbers that's all. No pictures was taken nor reported.

Today 26th 5 days later this lady has phoned my wife demanding we transfer her £150 to cover the scratch, The scratch was about 6 inches long, light scratch that Tcut should easily remove. She's demanding £150 or she's phoning the police. She said she'll tell them we left the scene off a crash and she had to chase us down lol.

I'm posting here for advice because the other half is pretty emotional, she's not sure what to do. Noway I'm transferring this lady £150, I've got to pay for my wife's car to be fixed and Christmas is coming lol

Edited by Rory Lee on 26/09/2016 at 16:44

Minor car scratch incident. Advice? - focussed

It sounds like she's flying a kite - call her bluff and tell her to phone the police and you'll tell them what really happened. You've got her mobile phone number-remember? So you did stop and exchange details.

Minor car scratch incident. Advice? - Bromptonaut

Were there witnesses and was the loon who caused all this traced?

Minor car scratch incident. Advice? - TheBroker

The woman concerned needs to calm down and stop watching Jeremy Kyle or Loose Women or whatever tripe she watches.

She is attempting to extort money which in itself is illegal. Advise her that if she wishes to call the police that is her choice but you are not being blackmailed and if she does so you will in turn report her for that. Additionally she is lying saying your wife left the scene (assuming what you have said on here is true). Clearly she did not, rather park safely and exhange details so the woman is now clearly stating she is willing to lie to the police if you do not meet her blackmail demands.

I suggest you offer (depending on honestly how serious the damage is) what you consider to be a fair sum (in writing and headed "Without Prejudice", but stating it is full and final) unless you would prefer to go through insurers and try and claim your damage from MIB for the hit-and-run driver who caused this, or try and track them down.

Good Luck and don't let this other woman bully you or your wife for fear of prosectuion (you are not in the wrong legally in any way so it would go nowhere) worst case is you have to cough up for actual cost of repairs at which point you have an independent assessor quote for the damage and engage them directly and pay them directly.

Best,

TheBroker