Ford Fiesta Saloon - Clutch gone after 2 years and 4k from new - barney100

Lady I know in her seventies bought a new Ford Fiesta 2 years ago. The clutch went and had to be recovered from Wales to Hampshire to the dealers who fitted a new clutch for over £500. The car is out of warranty apparently so she had to pay the lot. Do you think she should complain to Ford UK or is it a no chance of recompense job? she is a decent driver and dosen't 'ride' the clutch.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Clutch gone after 2 years and 4k from new - drd63

So 2 years old and 4000 miles, that's either a mechanical fault or riding the clutch. I suspect the dealer has been able to see friction material is worn therefore it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sorry, but it sounds as if your friend has been riding the clutch.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Clutch gone after 2 years and 4k from new - SLO76
She should've had the car checked over by an independent garage or a mechanically minded friend or relative. It's not unheard of for a modern clutch to fail early. I had to fight with our local Honda dealer to have a badly juddering clutch replaced on our Honda CRV which started doing so at 6mths and got gradually worse.

Silly wee lass behind the service desk just explained that it was a "characteristic of the vehicle" then later suggested thet it was down to "my driving style". I gave up, walked away and contacted Honda customer services direct and they couldn't have been any more helpful. Car was rechecked, fault was clear and a new clutch was fitted free of charge at 26,000 miles. They found a slightly bent clutch fork, down to a minor manufacturing fault. Service receptionist had a much improved attitude on my next visit.

I'd tell her to contact Ford customer services direct and if the dealer still has the original clutch tell them to keep hold of it for inspection.

How did it fail? If it was slipping then it is very likely that she had been riding it possibly without thinking but if it was noisy or juddering then there probably was a fault.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/09/2016 at 22:47

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Clutch gone after 2 years and 4k from new - Falkirk Bairn

Fiesta/Focus - HJ has highlighted lots of clutch problems in low mileage cars - faulty clutch slave cylinders over a period of over a year (or2) caused the problems.

New designed part & clutches are now OK.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/70338/clutch