airport pickups - concrete

Good day to one and all. Just returned from another caravan sojurn and catching up with events on the forum. I need some of your collective advice.

My youngest son and his wife are flying into Stansted on a late evening flight within the next few weeks. I have never picked up from Stansted previously so I am a novice and don't want to be either ripped off for parking or fined via a camera for transgressing some spurious marked zone.

Does anyone on the forum have the lowdown on how to pick up safely and sensibly from Stansted?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Concrete

airport pickups - RT

Good day to one and all. Just returned from another caravan sojurn and catching up with events on the forum. I need some of your collective advice.

My youngest son and his wife are flying into Stansted on a late evening flight within the next few weeks. I have never picked up from Stansted previously so I am a novice and don't want to be either ripped off for parking or fined via a camera for transgressing some spurious marked zone.

Does anyone on the forum have the lowdown on how to pick up safely and sensibly from Stansted?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Concrete

If you use a smartphone, wait outside the airport until x minutes until after their flight is shown as landed on the online arrivals board and then park in the short stay car park and meet them at a pre-arranged point. A google of the interweb should give clues on how long x is, depending on where they're coming from (passport controls or not) and whether they have hand baggage or cases.

Different airport, but when I picked my son's family up from Manchester I allowed 30 minutes after it landed then went in.

Stansted airport website should have more detail.

airport pickups - oldroverboy.

DO not go into the pickup drop off point until they are there.

If they get the free bus out to the medium term car parks there is a place you can wait free for 1 hour. £1 for up to 2 hours. daily rates after.

www.stanstedairport.com/parking/pick-up-and-drop-o.../

have used it very good!

ORB

Edited by oldroverboy. on 06/09/2016 at 19:26

airport pickups - veryoldbear

Late ebening flights have a tendency to be late and it can be ages before people appear. Go and park up at one of the local hotels and have a quiet coffee (or whatever) until they ring ... then toddle round.

airport pickups - elekie&a/c doctor

Just done this,but you are going to get ripped for at least £3.60 for an in/pick up and out in short stay.www.stanstedairport.com/parking/turn-up-and-park/

You can't pick up from terminal concourse.

There is a max 1 hour wait period in the local Mcdonalds,just off the main approach road.This is where you will find all the cab drivers waiting to pounce before pick -up.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 06/09/2016 at 19:26

airport pickups - Fernando P

The drop off (and the very quick pick up) point beside the terminal concourse is £3 and you must be in and out within 10 mins to avoid extra charges. A return within 30 mins incurs a £20 penalty charge. The next best option is to turn right at the last roundabout and drive up the RH side of the airport to the orange car park at the end which charges £4.50 for 30 mins. As you drive in there, you go to the end then turn right and if you go over to the airport side where passengers come to the car park from the terminal, there are pick up only points, which you can use if your people are waiting there with their luggage. otherwise you can park in a nearby bay and connect up there with them. As has been mentioned, you need to plan your approach to picking up/parking. Also, at the last roundabout, if you take the second right, then left which leads to Molehill Green, (see the map) there are some fly parking laybys, which you might/could use should you have a longer wait. You could also park a few mins away either at Molehill Green or Takeley, which can also be easily accessed from the last roundabout until you get an arrival phone call. Have a look on the map to check out my directions.

airport pickups - RT

The drop off (and the very quick pick up) point beside the terminal concourse is £3 and you must be in and out within 10 mins to avoid extra charges. A return within 30 mins incurs a £20 penalty charge. The next best option is to turn right at the last roundabout and drive up the RH side of the airport to the orange car park at the end which charges £4.50 for 30 mins. As you drive in there, you go to the end then turn right and if you go over to the airport side where passengers come to the car park from the terminal, there are pick up only points, which you can use if your people are waiting there with their luggage. otherwise you can park in a nearby bay and connect up there with them. As has been mentioned, you need to plan your approach to picking up/parking. Also, at the last roundabout, if you take the second right, then left which leads to Molehill Green, (see the map) there are some fly parking laybys, which you might/could use should you have a longer wait. You could also park a few mins away either at Molehill Green or Takeley, which can also be easily accessed from the last roundabout until you get an arrival phone call. Have a look on the map to check out my directions.

??? They charge to drop off? At least Manchester and East Midlands give a free drop-off option

airport pickups - FoxyJukebox

All good tips--but it's odd that some of these obvious( legal) options are not visible on the website.

I do wish planners would give more time thought and money to airport access by road or public transport. ...and why don't Stansted Express trains run through the night( 05.30 check ins are very common-so 1000s of people are starting journeys from central London in the middle of the night). How else are pasengers meant to get there and back--by foot?

Our local airport-Luton is an utter disgrace for pick up, drop off, short stay, taxi access and railbus link. Even when you arrive at the "terminals" there is at least a 3 minute uncovered haul to the actual airport buildings. A grim experience which even transported cattle are not exposed

As for Luton Airport Parkway rail station-you arrive there after a fast 25 mile trip from central London-to be confronted by a one mile bus ride which passengers are advised can take an HOUR to get up the hill?

Forget HS2 I say- -just plan these simple obvious things much much better.

"it's odd that some of these obvious( legal) options are not visible on the website."

Not so - as parking off airport is likely to result in less revenue for the airport operator.

airport pickups - barney100

If you park outside get them to phone you on the mobile when they are through baggage and customs etc and pick up at a prearranged spot in the airport.

"it's odd that some of these obvious( legal) options are not visible on the website."

But they are..

SO where did i get this from? in fact you can leave the car and get thr free courtesy bus in and out.. just remember the 2 hour limit.

DO not go into the pickup drop off point until they are there.

If they get the free bus out to the medium term car parks there is a place you can wait free for 1 hour. £1 for up to 2 hours. daily rates after.

www.stanstedairport.com/parking/pick-up-and-drop-o.../

Edited by oldroverboy. on 07/09/2016 at 11:21

Thank you all. There are some good tips for me to follow up. I only wish that each airport followed a similar pattern to drop-off and pick-up. I know Gatwick, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Manchester airports quite well enough now to make a drop off and pick up, but they are all different. Would it be so difficult to get them to harmonise their operations, or would that be too much to actually help and assist the passengers who pay their wages!!!! Why do airports have to be such a nightmare. One of the real reasons we bought a caravan was to visit Europe without the need for going through an airport.

Thank again one and all, great assistance as usual.

Cheers Concrete

airport pickups - Smileyman

Motorway service area is off the same junction as the airport. So why not drive through the airport to familiarise yourself with area, then wait at services with a cup of coffee until your family calls you to say they are ready for pickup.

Note in the past Stansted has been notorious for overcrowding in the passport arrivals hall, unless it's changed recently don't expect them to get through quickly.

Motorway service area is off the same junction as the airport. So why not drive through the airport to familiarise yourself with area, then wait at services with a cup of coffee until your family calls you to say they are ready for pickup.

Note in the past Stansted has been notorious for overcrowding in the passport arrivals hall, unless it's changed recently don't expect them to get through quickly.

Good idea Smiley, I have done that previously at other airports too. Only got caught out once when they changed the system so that even a drive through was clocked and had to pay! b***** cheeck.

Cheers Concrete

airport pickups - Happy Blue!

You can also track their plane using www.flightradar24.com

You can see the flight all the way from take off (in fact all planes in the sky at that minute - just filter the airline) to landing. In Manchester, I do not leave for the airport until the flight is about 20 minutes from landing. That way I arrive about the time hand luggage only passengers are coming out of customs.

airport pickups - Smileyman

You can also track their plane using www.flightradar24.com

You can see the flight all the way from take off (in fact all planes in the sky at that minute - just filter the airline) to landing. In Manchester, I do not leave for the airport until the flight is about 20 minutes from landing. That way I arrive about the time hand luggage only passengers are coming out of customs.

Useful tool, I did this when my parents returned from TA last year. The only problem with this is when there is a problem such as when there is no stand free or the busses / luggage guys take forever to deal with flight.

airport pickups - TR7
Stick two pencils up your nose and your underpants on your head. They'll think your mad and let you off any fine. It will only work once mind.
airport pickups - Energyman
What works for me, wait in the motorway services, get them to catch the mid stay car park bus to the pick up point, get them to ring you as soon as the bus comes to the terminal and timing will be good for you to drive to the mid stay pick up.
BTW there are new passport scanners, more than there used to be, they work well, but are a subtly different to the previous ones so some people struggle and get rejected, but they are fine.
airport pickups - Avant

If I were being picked up at an airport, I would offer - indeed expect - to pay the cost of parking.

But I'd be very appreciative if they were there to meet me in Arrivals and their car was within walking distance in the short-stay car park, rather than having to catch a bus from one of 27 stops outside the terminal, or wait for ages while they arrive from somewhere off site and then fail to find me in the drop-off area.

If I were being picked up at an airport, I would offer - indeed expect - to pay the cost of parking.

But I'd be very appreciative if they were there to meet me in Arrivals and their car was within walking distance in the short-stay car park, rather than having to catch a bus from one of 27 stops outside the terminal, or wait for ages while they arrive from somewhere off site and then fail to find me in the drop-off area.

Except for the occasion ( I posted it a couple of years ago) where our friend (no longer) was unfit to drive, having had a few while waiting for us!

we used to mutually drive each other to the airports.

I shall be shortly taking youngrovergirl to Heathrow and with baggage it will be into the short term parking at T3. Expect her to take her baggage in herself?

Collecting 2 weeks later will wait on Sipson Road till the flight lands and luggage in arrivals hall then go in. No pick up any more at T3 Heathrow only allows dropoffs in T2 and 3 now. collections must use short term parking.

I concur with Avant who has summed it all up nicely here! My directions were given along these lines, to allow quick and easy assess for a pick up, without getting penalised for overstaying.

Edited by Fernando P on 10/09/2016 at 11:04

I agree with this too!--I don't go that often to do pickups-but when I do-once or twice a year, usually to collect family etc,, it is something to keep stress free, if not enjoyable...just go with the flow and pay the car park

I agree with this too!--I don't go that often to do pickups-but when I do-once or twice a year, usually to collect family etc,, it is something to keep stress free, if not enjoyable...just go with the flow and pay the car park

I agree too. For youngrovergirl, I go in and pay for the short term parking, having checked that the plane has landed. For a niece arriving from Canada at T2 heathrow, her first visit to the uk, we met her in arrivals, and each time we seem to get away wth the first hour charge, which is reasonable.

The suggestions for Stansted were for keeping cost to a minimum. Guessing that Concrete does not wish to be stressed, There are choices, each to his own...

But as others have pointed out, if we have 4 major airports around Londonium, why do we still have a system which means we cannot get to them in time for early morning flights, or home from them from late evening flights.

Fares from Cochester

www.colchesterairportcars.com/?gclid=CJyB0_S-h88CF...s

For our own covenience we just park the car in long term (wherever), using whatever voucher codes are available, which can knock a good bit off.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 11/09/2016 at 16:14

airport pickups - RickyBoy

...flew into Luton yesterday lunchtime.

I normally tell Mrs RB to wait up at Stockwood Park until we're outside with luggage.

She was still trapped on M1 s/bound when I put the call in expecting her to be parked there! Took her 55-mins to get to the terminal pick-up from somewhere near J11.

Just as well it wasn't raining – noted by the earlier poster – as there is absolutely no cover whatsoever from the elements. It's a truly awful experience up there, even if you stay in the mid-term parking for your free 30-mins or whatever it is, as you still have to make the final drive up the hill on Airport Way/Airport Approach Road, and of course you have to pay £3.00 for the briefest of privileges.

Yes, they've vastly improved the interchange after J10 but that final bit is still (always going to be?) single-carriageway and almost always grid-locked whether approaching by own vehicle, taxi, shuttle-bus.

Have spent the past 2-weeks driving abroad and the longest we were stuck in traffic was 15-secs at r/bouts! As there was grief on the M1 I had to seek out the A6 n/bound upon which I found the whole of Luton town centre to be at a standstill. Eventually made it back to MK via country lanes using local(ish) knowledge!

Won't be departing from there again – completement merde...

airport pickups - John Boy

Smileyman said "Motorway service area is off the same junction as the airport. So why not drive through the airport to familiarise yourself with area, then wait at services with a cup of coffee until your family calls you to say they are ready for pickup."

Are you referring to Birchanger Green Services, Smileyman? If so, it can be a nightmare to get in and out of, due to its proximity to the junction. I'm usually very calm on the road, but this place really tested my patience. It would appear that I'm not alone:

www.motorwayservices.info/birchanger_green_service...s

""".....that final bit is still (always going to be?) single-carriageway and almost always grid-locked whether approaching by own vehicle, taxi, shuttle-bus...."""

That M1 junction ( which worked pretty well before all the improvements anyway!) took years to finish--as for the single cariageway road- even amateur planners would have avoided that one. But then--it was those same bunch of planning experts that extended the number of check in desks from 10 to 60-but sustained only 3 luggage belts in arrivals-hence delays of up to an hour here plus the obligatory wait for passport clearance, means exit from the airport often takes longer than the flight!

The trouble is -Management know that on average- most holiday passengers only use the airport once or twice a year--and are NOT likely to complain....and when they do--all they get is hogwash about how it will be better next year.....

Completed the pick up, fairly hassle free. I went to the Mid Stay Orange Zone, ticket barrier then to the concourse to pick up my guests. Ticket into prepay machine, £4.50 and I was in there 6 minutes. On reflection, next time I would ask guests to walk to the ticket barrier area, wait by the roadside and simply jump in, which should take seconds. From the number of people and vehicles doing the same as me this parking lark is a real money spinner. Still sticks in the craw though. It's not the principle it's the money of the thing!!!!!

Cheers Concrete

That's what I would have done Concrete--well done....and by the way...how do you know that there was no CCTV at work on those "just picking up"?

At Luton even if you jump out on the last quarter of a mile after the IBIS roundabout and just before the runway bridge-CCTV take a nice little picture of your car and will send you a penalty for £80.

airport pickups - Bromptonaut

Beware of 'unnoficial' pick up/set down arrangements. I was there Monday and yesterday and I'm pretty sure there were signs warning of penalties for setting down etc outwith the designated areas.

Drop off on Monday was easy and having conducted The Lad and his G/f to departures and taken a leak cost me £4.50 on Orange car park. Less lucky yesterday as their flight (which I'd monitored on FR24 until the outbound leg landed ar Carcasonne) picked up a slight delay. Still 'on approach' when I got to arrivals gate. Although hand baggage only other pax had stuffed the overhead racks so they were 'free hold baggage at gate' and had to wait at the carousel. Plenty of passport machines but poor queue management and what lad described as incompetence by any user over 40 meant they were held up. Ended up paying £15 as on Orange over an hour.

For those who want to watch plane arrive there is quite a bit of informal parking on lane running along NW perimeter of airfield - Belmer Road. Used mainly by spotters as you can get through hedge and up to perimeter security fence. Security and Essex Police tolerate this and even seem to have some informal 'planewatch' arrangement where enthusiasts can report abnormal activity.

airport pickups - RT

For those who want to watch plane arrive there is quite a bit of informal parking on lane running along NW perimeter of airfield - Belmer Road. Used mainly by spotters as you can get through hedge and up to perimeter security fence. Security and Essex Police tolerate this and even seem to have some informal 'planewatch' arrangement where enthusiasts can report abnormal activity.

Many airports and RAF bases have official "viewing areas" easier to control if everyone in the same place and still allows secret operations elsewhere on the base