Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - chris32

Having 3 teenagers (almost - youngest is 12) in the family, I've pretty much settled on a 2006-2015 (the previous model) S-MAX Titanium X. Would like to get as new as possible, buget allowing.

Question is, should I go for the 2.0 Diesel or the 2.0 petrol?

Have done the math with my average 9.5-10k anual mileage + road tax and the petrol is coming in at around £600 more per year to run over the diesel. However this doesn't take into account the cost of a replacing the DPF should I go for the diesel.

Looking on eurocarparts, a "React DPF" (Product Code: 723590101) for S-MAX retails for £285, usual price £300. Of course I would need to get it fitted somewhere too....

So question is, do I go for the diesel and save the £600 per year in a "DPF replacement fund" or should I just go for the petrol and leave the DPF woes behind me?

Having read the HJ good & bad review, one thing is for sure it'll be a manual transmission :o)

Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - oldroverboy.

with your mileage it is a no brainer.

Petrol!

consider also a Kia carens, left of field perhaps, but many less problems than the Fords. also available in 1.6 gdi.

What is your budget?

Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - elekie&a/c doctor

I think a petrol engine is now a better bet than a diesel at any mileage.Fuel economy may be slightly worse,but engine running costs should be lower with less to go wrong on a petrol model.Diesel engines are far more complicated with not just the dpf ,but all the sensors and electronics that are associated with the diesel emission system.As for a euro car dpf,you may be better with a tin of beans.they do not perform to original makers spec.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - Ian D
You can get 2006 to 2008 2.0 TDCi diesels without a DPF, from 2009 on they all had DPFs...
Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - Avant

True, but other things can go expensively wrong with diesels as they get older.

You may well find that a newish petrol S-Max is still cheaper than a diesel of the same age and mileage. I'd agree that petrol is the way to go, particularly if you intend to keep it for a long time. There may be fewer to choose from, though.

Edit - correction, you WILL find fewer petrol ones to choose from. If you look at card for sale on this site, there are 819 diesels and just 76 petrols. If your mileage is more long trips than around town, you should avoid DPF problems.

Edited by Avant on 31/08/2016 at 23:34

Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - Happy Blue!

I owned a 2010 S-Max Titanium TDCi with torque converter gearbox for five years. One repair only (had to replace a weeping rear shock absorber), otherwise totally reliable, comfortable and perhaps one of two cars of the many I have owned I would buy again.

I only drove 10,000 miles per annum a mix of stop start communiting and some suburban motorway driving, but never ever had a problem with the diesel installation.

Ignore to doomsayers! Make sure you buy thew diesel with the TC gearbox for automatic (not Powershift) otherwise you will be fine.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max 2.0 Diesel or Petrol? - brum

I think you'll find mpvs, due to their weight, drink petrol like fish, diesels much more economical, take official figures with a barrel of salt.