Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Jamie Street
Hi All,

So.... Took our 57 plate, 2.0 diesel Qashqai on it's second trip to southern Spain. All was going well until day 2. I was on the motorway doing 75mph on cruise control when the road started up a steep section of motorway. All of a sudden the car started to speed up on its own. I turned off the cruise control but it kept speeding up. The revs hit maximum for a few seconds, then the engine cut out. Looked in the mirror and couldn't see for the smoke. I got over to the hard shoulder and that was it, engine no go go. At least no fire, family ok.

So my breakdown cover got the car taken to a Nissan dealership in Spain, who quoted £6000 for a new engine and turbo. Now I'm getting the car repatriated to the UK, to be assessed and repaired.

Which brings me to my question: The used engine replacing / re-manufacturing industry seems particularly dodgy and a total minefield. Can anyone recommend a garage or firm who can be trusted to look at my car without bumping the price up every few days? Hope that doesn't go against any rules of the forum. Any more general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jamie
Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - focussed

Where to get an engine from:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvxNcjdIumc

Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - bathtub tom

I'd suggest somewhere local to you. If you've any problems, then it's easy to take it back.

Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Wackyracer

If it was going to cost £6000 to repair, I'd scrap it and go buy another one for £4000.

I'd personally buy an engine from a written off car and get that fitted.

Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Jamie Street

I'd suggest somewhere local to you. If you've any problems, then it's easy to take it back.

My issue is that I live on the Isle of Wight and I don't rate any one here. I'm wanting somewhere on the mainland, preferably in the south. I can get the car delivered anywhere, I just have to pick it up again myself after.
Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Galaxy

Yes, Ivor Searle, the company featured in the YouTube video certainly have an excellent reputation for the remanufacturing of engines. Not cheap but then, like most things in life, with remanufactured engines, you get what you pay for (if you're lucky!)

You could also try looking at the Federation of Engine Remanufacturers:

www.fer.co.uk/

Ivor Searle are also a member of the FER.

Good places to avoid are one in the Heathrow area and one in the Rainham, Essex area. A suitable Google will tell you who they are.

Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Avant

I agree with Wackyracer - I don't think you should spend £6,000 on a nine-year-old car. You'll need to do the sums: assuming you can get a cheaper reconditioned engine, how much would that cost, and what would you get for the Qashqai if you then sold it?

As you live on the IoW, I'd suggest a petrol car next time.

Nissan Qashqai - Engine revved itself to death - Robin the Technician

Hi Jamie,

I think before you rush out and buy a new engine, it might be worth establishing what is wrong with yours first. get the engine checked over - it may cost significantly less to repair than a replacement.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am