Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - MetManMark

All

We now need to replace our car as it has now died :(. The three cars that we are considering are:

Toyota uris estate (comes with spare tyre)

Honda Civic (can buy a spare tyre)

Mazda 6 (don't think there is even a space for a spare tyre)

We go to remote places in Devon and I really don't like the idea of only being left with a can of gunk if we get a punture. We have only experienced this once in the last 10 years but it does happen!

What do people with a Mazda 6 do? I have never been a member of the AA / RAC etc so is this something that I should consider? Would they tow you to a garage that could fix / replace the tyre?

It is a bit of an oversight by Mazda not having at least a space for a spare tyre as this is something that is actually putting us off buying Mazda 6.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mark

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - madf

Peopele in a mazda 6 pay through the nose for tyre repairs as they are stuck at a garage after breakdown service drove them - and no real choice.

Think bills of £200..

Edited by madf on 30/08/2016 at 18:28

That is such a shame as I Was looking forward to test driving a car a little bigger than the civic / auris estates :(. Would have been happy to have bought a spare but from what I gather there is not even a space for one...

Ho hum.

Mark

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Auristocrat

Toyota Avensis Tourer ???

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Theophilus

We go to remote places in Devon and I really don't like the idea of only being left with a can of gunk if we get a punture. We have only experienced this once in the last 10 years but it does happen!

Hi Mark - some of us dont think of places in Devon as being remote :-)

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - gordonbennet

Handy thread, thats Mazda 6 off the list of potential used cars too, mind you Mazda Diesels have been on the not on your nelly list for some years now.

No spare wheel?, you won't be selling me that car, new used or banger.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - nailit

Hope you were not considering a diesel?

The 'no spare' problem put me off too but in the end I purchased one, couldn't resist. What I did avoid was a diesel version, and it turns out to have been a very good decision. (see forums [mazda6oc.co.uk] of all the problems being encountered) the petrol is very fuel efficient and pulls like a diesel IMHO.

The saloon is longer than an estate by 60/65mm with a vast boot, you lose some space as the 'spare wheel well' is too small for even a space-saver (the kit option from Mazda comes with battens to lift the boot floor cover/mat).

I managed to get a similar style alloy wheel off fleabay for £40 and a cheap new tyre for £50 and stuck that in my boot, but the boot is vast. Yes it encroaches a bit but I'm happy as the kids fled the nest ages ago, and there is plenty of space for 4 in my opinion. Ripped out carefully the gunge kit/polystyrene bit and got a nice wheel cover. I gain some depth this way as compared to Mazda expensive solution. The wheel requires an 8mm? bolt and clamp plate to secure though, but had that in my garage LOL.

Still a b***** pain that car manufactures/EU put us through this cr@p!

Loving the car tho' each time I drive it :-)

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Avant

"Hi Mark - some of us dont think of places in Devon as being remote :-)"

Remote or not, what matters is whether your mobile will work: there are apparently still 30,000 miles of UK roads where there is no mobile reception.

As I've said many times before, I'd like the little men in suits who design cars with no space even for a space-saver to get a gash from a pothole on a road like that, too big a gash for their favoured can of gunk to repair..

Mark - add the Skoda Octavia to your list., either as a hatchback or estate. Lots of room, and a spare wheel is an inexpensive option.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not keen on vw group card or those with a timing belt.

Car needs to have a chain and a spare tyre.

M

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Ian_SW

Have a look at a Hyundai I40. I've had both that and a Mazda 6 as hire cars and they both felt of similar quality and driveability/comfort.

I was pleasantly surprised to lift the boot floor of the i40 and see a full size spare wheel. This was the saloon, but I presume it will be the same with the estate.

However I've owned my current car, which came with the can of gunk instead if a spare, for over 4 years and 65000 miles now and not had a puncture. I keep meaning to buy a spare wheel kit but still haven't got round to it. Will probably get a puncture this afternoon now I've said that.....

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - concrete

"Hi Mark - some of us dont think of places in Devon as being remote :-)"

Remote or not, what matters is whether your mobile will work: there are apparently still 30,000 miles of UK roads where there is no mobile reception.

As I've said many times before, I'd like the little men in suits who design cars with no space even for a space-saver to get a gash from a pothole on a road like that, too big a gash for their favoured can of gunk to repair..

Mark - add the Skoda Octavia to your list., either as a hatchback or estate. Lots of room, and a spare wheel is an inexpensive option.

Great point Avant. This applies to lots of things like light fittings, self assembly furniture, plumbing fittings etc etc, the list is long. I would make the actual designer assemble one every hour on the hour for a week and see what he thinks of his design then. Half the time you need 9 inch fingers with magnetic tips and the strenght of Superman.

As for spare wheels I quite agree. However if Joe Public buys these vehicles then they get what they deserve. Vote with your feet and walk out of a garage that tries to sell you a car that cannot accommodate a spare wheel. I think that may have some affect on them.

Cheers Concrete

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - colinh

The Auris saloon owner's manual shows three different configurations - puncture kit, space-saver, and full-size; but Europe seems to get the first as standard. Negotiated for a spacesaver at purchase time, as do frequent across-Spain overnight journeys

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - skidpan

I am not keen on vw group card or those with a timing belt.

Nothing wrong with VW group cars, don't believe everything you read on here. Had 5 now and never had any expenses other than the expected ones.

Nothing wrong with timing belts. Since 1976 we have had 11 cars fitted with belts and never had a breakage. Only had to replace 2 as per the manufacturers scehedule and it was not a shock since I had budgeted for the costs when I bought the cars.

Had several cars with rattly chains and leaky covers. Never bothered fixing them, just turned up the radio and cleaned the drive regularly.

Know which I prefer given the choice.

Hi Skidpan

Each to their own. I totally appreciate that fora such as this are a place for people to complain about the various niggles. We have just got rid of our trusty SAAB9-3. There really haven't been any major problems with it over the 18 years that it has been in our family - just lots of small things that have made it uneconomical to keep going. And the fact that we have a young family and take road trips to France to visit my in-laws etc.

I flag this as I don't recall the 9-3 being very well received when it was first launched, but it has done us fine.

I have friends that have had good experiences with VW and others that have had bad experiences. My view is that Japanese cars are probably better engineered and their electrics are less likely to go wrong over time. And we intend to keep our next car for 10 years plus.

PArt of my thinking regarding teh timing belt / chain thing is that I'd really rather not have (1) a catastrophic failure which has happened to a collegue (2) a routine expense and (3) something that I might forget to do.

I like the idea of the hyundai i40 but don't do the miles to make the deisel worthwhile.

Looking forward to trying the honda and then plumping for one...

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Mark

Went to look at the Mazda 6 yesterday. Its on our short list to replace the Leon but as many have said above I will not buy a car where there is no provision for carrying a spare.

In the showroom I lifted the boot floor and was confronted by a polystyrene tray carrying the pump and glue etc. Lifted the tray out which revealed a spare wheel shaped hollow with a welded nut thingy at the bottom for securing the spare. Asked salesman about a spare and he said that the spacesaver was approx £400 but suggested I could get one cheaper elsewhere. Don't thing a full size wheel would fit without seriously raising the boot floor.

So based on that its still on our short list but some other issues probably mean its now off.

I flag this as I don't recall the 9-3 being very well received when it was first launched, but it has done us fine

The 9-3 was a Vauhall Vectra (or was it Cavalier) with a different body. Considering the Vauxhall was underwealming the Saab was unlikely to be a class leader regardless of what Saab did to it. But I think its fair to say that the Saab was probably better assembled than a Vauxhall so they have stood the test of time pretty well. My boss had a new one about 10 years ago. At 2 weeks old it lost power on the M4, made awful noises and he had trouble getting it across 3 lanes of a busy motorway. The bolt securing one of the cam pulleys had come loose and the engine was destroyed, hardly blame Saab when the engines came from GM. After a new engine it ran well for another 5 years and 150,000 miles.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Mike H

The 9-3 was a Vauhall Vectra (or was it Cavalier) with a different body.

You're thinking of the Saab 9-5, not the 9-3. The 9-5 was based on the Vectra B, saving me a long drive for suspension parts when we had our Saab!

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - RT

The 9-3 was a Vauhall Vectra (or was it Cavalier) with a different body.

You're thinking of the Saab 9-5, not the 9-3. The 9-5 was based on the Vectra B, saving me a long drive for suspension parts when we had our Saab!

Both the New 900, renamed as 9-3 mk1, and the 9-5 mk1 used the GM2900 platform which Vauxhall had used for the Cavalier mk3 (Vectra-A) and Vectra mk1 (Vectra-B).

The 9-3 mk2 used the Epsilon platform (Vectra-C) and the 9-5 mk2 used Epsilon II (Insignia).

The boy-racers used to get spares for their Cavaliers from Saab as they were cheaper!

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Engineer Andy

I've received an email response from Mazda, and they confirm that all new UK-spec Mazda cars, with the exception of the MX-5, do have the space below the main boot floor and ability to store a space-saver space tyre, including the Mazda5, 2 and CX-3, which many people have said do not. The ~£400 extra for buying one with one fitted (via the dealership, not factory-fitted apparently) is still in my view, extortionate, given Volvo only charge a 1/4 of that.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - gordonbennet

Thanks Engeineer Andy, thats put the question of room for a space saver to bed.

However, the cost quoted is outrageous and under no circs would i pay that, more to the point that blatant profiteering when they have a semi captive audience of new car type buyer speccing their new vehicle, i find distasteful at best.

I've received an email response from Mazda, and they confirm that all new UK-spec Mazda cars, with the exception of the MX-5, do have the space below the main boot floor and ability to store a space-saver space tyre, including the Mazda5, 2 and CX-3, which many people have said do not. The ~£400 extra for buying one with one fitted (via the dealership, not factory-fitted apparently) is still in my view, extortionate, given Volvo only charge a 1/4 of that.

Unless Mazda have redesigned the boot on a 6 since September 2015 then I feel certain that the "battens" I mentioned in an earlier post, are required.

These lift the carpet/floor of the boot because the space saver is deeper in width than the wheel well.

A chap in the mazda 6 forum did his own and describes how he used wood and a second hand wheel to save paying money-maker-mazda.

I strongly suspect Mazda are playing on words here, yes their cars may have "space below the main boot floor and ability to store a space-saver" BUT it's at the expense of losing boot space.

Edited by nailit on 02/09/2016 at 13:13

Unless Mazda have redesigned the boot on a 6 since September 2015 then I feel certain that the "battens" I mentioned in an earlier post, are required.

It was clear when I looked on Wednesday that once the polystyrene box that contains the gunge etc was removed there is space for a space saver with no raising of the boot floor. The salesman confirmed that the boot floor remains flat and level with a spacesaver in position.

Have you actually been and looked in a showroom at a current car? I have.

But the one unasked question is what do you do with your full size wheel after you have fitted the spacesaver, cannot see granny liking it sitting on her lap. That is just one of the reasons I still don't like spacesavers.

I agree that Volvo list the spacesaver at a very reasonable £160 ish but you actually need some additional parts that raise the boot floor. Here is a link to a supplier. www.volvopartshop.com/storage-under-the-boot-floor...Q This company lists the wheel on the same page at £96 so £243.64 including postage.

I hope you are correct, I will be able to sell my car a bit easier in the future.

Life is too short as it is, however I may trot down to the dealers with my tape measure sometime. So you believed the salesman then.

So you believed the salesman then.

Not entirely but I do belive my own eyes. That is why I spent time going to a showroom and looking. Salesmen do lie and brochures are incorrect sometimes, thus I need to satisfy myself before deciding.

When I asked the salesman if there was an option to fit a full size spare he said no since it would raise the back part of the boot floor leaving a step and making the boot floor unstable. He seemed pretty clued up on the products.

But I do think that with a few bits of wood and a little carpentry it would enable a full size wheel to fit and the boot floor remain stable. However, there would still be a step. For us the boot would still be large enough with this modification but if I am spending this kind of money I don't want to be finishing the car off myself.

So you believed the salesman then.

Not entirely but I do belive my own eyes. That is why I spent time going to a showroom and looking. Salesmen do lie and brochures are incorrect sometimes, thus I need to satisfy myself before deciding.

When I asked the salesman if there was an option to fit a full size spare he said no since it would raise the back part of the boot floor leaving a step and making the boot floor unstable. He seemed pretty clued up on the products.

But I do think that with a few bits of wood and a little carpentry it would enable a full size wheel to fit and the boot floor remain stable. However, there would still be a step. For us the boot would still be large enough with this modification but if I am spending this kind of money I don't want to be finishing the car off myself.

Agreed. I'm fairly certain that the chap who did his own 'carpentry' fitted a space saver wheel, thus leading to me believing the well is insufficient. This including the fact I measured the well before I purchased a full size wheel, but I am getting old ;-( Just hope I'm not losing it as they say :o

Seem to remember the space saver kit comes with parts to lift the floor.

This typing is hard on the mobile especially after a couple of glasses of wine. :-)

Odd how (it appears) so many manufacturers include the 'false floor' area as part of the official 'boot storage space. I had recently had a look at several cars (I've started the ball rolling to look for a replacement for my aged Mazda3), and SO many of them that 'claim' to have 350 ltrs+ of boot space have in practice far, far less than that if you don't include the false floor.

Even if you remove it (as you can on the Golf), many have a notch by the seats which makes putting large suitcases and golf bags in there very difficult. Many new cars have a boot about 100 - 150mm more shallow than my Mazda3 mk1 saloon - all the below failed my 'holiday stuff' (medium sized suitacase, box of provisions [I go self catering], golf bag and trolley [in its box] without the back seats down):

VW Golf

SEAT Leon

Volvo V40

Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30

Kia Venga (surprised at the last given it quotes a bigger boot than my car's)

Ford Focus (not really a surpise as it states its only 316 lts)

Even with the latest Mazda3 it would be a struggle (especially in the hatch as its boot isn't as long and the 'cut-out' area in front of the wheel arch is smaller). The saloon might be fine, though the boot aperture was smaller than my car's!

Im amazed that car boots seem to be getting smaller, not bigger, and yet the cars themselves often get bigger from one version to the next. Still think its a REALLY stupid idea to give up even a space-saver spare tyre/wheel for a tube of glue, just to save 1mpg or a couple of CO2 pts. Thumbs up for makes that still have the space for a tyre (especially a full-size one, as skidpan pointed out) and DON'T include it in the official boot space figure. Thumbs down for all the others.

I would actually have to make more compromises on buying a replacement for my car than I did with mine (even my 1996 Nissan Micra had a full-size spare under the boot!) - I'd rather buy a smaller, cheaper-to-buy and run car and put up having to put the back seats down when hauling lots of stuff (I don't need/want anything bigger like the Mazda6, nice as it looks).

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Smileyman

have you looked at the Peugeot 308?

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Smileyman

Three things to remember

Firstly, puncture in the middle of the night without a spare means you are stranded - even if AA/RAC etc do come out to you they cannot get the garage to open up until morning - even the (stupid in my view) spacesaver will enable you to keep going, albeit slowly and not as far as you'd wanted to go

Secondly - any distress purchase of tyres is a costly event, they cost enough when planned, but to pay the local garages's rack rate for a tyre is adding insult to injury - and remember you'll get what they have in stock, whcih may not be the same brand / quality as you had on the car before thus reducing fuel efficiency / road performance or whatever quality that made you select that tyre in the first place

Thirdly - assuming you do change the tyre roadside, think where you will be putting it when moble again. No full size tyre will fit into a spacesaver bay, very likely the tyre will be wet / dirty so not the ideal back seat passenger, if you vehicle is full of luggage ...

So that's three good reasons for having a full size good quality spare wheel & tyre under the boot!

Frankly, if space is tight points 2 & 3 are good reasons for carrying a spare tyre without the wheel in a bag in the car. (can be rotated as tyres changed or sold on if not used).

have you looked at the Peugeot 308?

We have, the estate.

Looked last year when the wife swapped hers. The 1.2 130 PS model looked great on paper and had good reviews. Huge boot but absolutely pitiful rear seat space. I am 5'9" and witn the drivers seat in a normal position I could not sit behind myself. The Kia Ceed SW she had at the time had a much better compromise between passenger and boot space as does the Nissan Note she eventually bought.

Its a non starter if you expect to carry adults in the rear. And the estate supposedly has mmore rear space than the hatch, how bad would that be.

What were Peugeot thinking about.

Three things to remember

Secondly - any distress purchase of tyres is a costly event, they cost enough when planned, but to pay the local garages's rack rate for a tyre is adding insult to injury - and remember you'll get what they have in stock, whcih may not be the same brand / quality as you had on the car before thus reducing fuel efficiency / road performance or whatever quality that made you select that tyre in the first place

Thirdly - assuming you do change the tyre roadside, think where you will be putting it when moble again. No full size tyre will fit into a spacesaver bay, very likely the tyre will be wet / dirty so not the ideal back seat passenger, if you vehicle is full of luggage ...

So that's three good reasons for having a full size good quality spare wheel & tyre under the boot!

Frankly, if space is tight points 2 & 3 are good reasons for carrying a spare tyre without the wheel in a bag in the car. (can be rotated as tyres changed or sold on if not used).

Good point but the weight of a tyre is quite surprising and you don't gain much by not having it attached to a wheel since quite often these days chances are it's an alloy wheel.

Ref. Volvo spacesavers - it depends on which model of Volvo. I ordered the spacesaver for my V60, and this takes up all the space under the boot floor but doesn't raise it. It's flush with the seatbacks when they're lowered. Sure, a full-size spare would be ideal, but to insist on that would restrict the choice of car to a very few.

Engineer Andy - you sound like a prime candidate for a Skoda Octavia! Have a look at one (the estate is the same overall length as the hatch), but if you're buying secondhand avoid the DSG.

Ref. Volvo spacesavers - it depends on which model of Volvo.

Its a V60 T4 we are considering and none of the dealers we have visited have been able to show us a car fitted with a space saver, in truth none have had (or even seen) a T4 so no test drive yet, nearly given up on te car to be honest despite the great deals available. But the info from the Volvo brochure, the dealers and the site I linked to above all confirm that there is a loss of boot space with the space saver fitted but no source have been able to provide a figure, that is why I want to see one. It might well be that the lost space is the under floor storage but the boot is on the limit for our needs and we need to measure one with a space saver fitted.

With both the Mazda 6 and Volvo T4 being unavailable to drive in Petrol form having other issues we are currently planning to look at an Audi A4 Avant. On paper the boot is big enough and it has the cracking 1.4 TSi engine. It also has a space saver as standard. But its £4000 to £5000 more expensive.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - thecloser

My Mazda 6 (08 reg, bought when 2 years old) has a full size alloy spare wheel which is comfortably housed in the spare wheel bay below the boot floor. Probably specified (as an extra) by the original owner. First class car by the way (2.0 petrol ts).

Skidpan; (and OP)

good news, for the Mazda 6 could now be back on your list (and Mazda currently pushing offers as they have a glut to get rid, new model next year - coupe??) you were correct (I believe - read on), just found the thread by the chap fitting his own secondhand spacesaver. He used an overall wider fit, and on a tourer. He fitted a 16" wheel and 185 tyre (as spec in handbook) BUT the kit offered by Mazda uses 17" with a "skinnier" tyre, so narrower overall.

His "wheel over 7" across" and says the mazda wheel "is a couple or so inches narrower".

His mod raised his boot space by 2 inches and he says the mazda 17" SpaceSaver may fit without raising the floor. It will come with a kit and new polystyrene bit, hence the expense.

Saves me a trip with my tape measure :-) link below but you need to register;

www.mazda6oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=...1

Edited by nailit on 03/09/2016 at 13:03

Skidpan; (and OP)

good news, for the Mazda 6 could now be back on your list

Its not just the spare that would put the Mazda 6 off my list.

When I drove the 3 with the 2 litre petrol I found it very slow and unresponsive compared to the 1.4 TSi Leon. The 6 has more power and probably more torques but it a much bigger car so will probably be little better. But I need to drive one to make my own mind up about it and since no dealer contacted so far has a petrol (most say they have never sold one) or are even willing to try and obtain one its proving difficult to find out.

Added to that the rear seat access that looks no better than the Leon (the one thing that stops me buying a Leon Estate) and I think my time is better spent looking elsewhere.

Problem is the only petrols that dealers appear to stock are VAG ones and I know what they drive like, they are great. But finding a car they are fitted to that meets our needs is more difficult. That is why we want to look at the A4 Avant which on paper looks good (except for the price).

Its such a shame since the Mazda 6 is such great value. At Carfile the SE-L Nav Estate is just under £18500 after Mazda's deposit contribution with 0% over 3 years. The car has everything we want as standard and white paint is free. No other car on our list comes close for kit or price.

If only Kia did a Ceed Estate with a turbo petrol bigger than the 1 litre triple, we would be down the showroom in a flash.

Ref. Volvo spacesavers - it depends on which model of Volvo. I ordered the spacesaver for my V60, and this takes up all the space under the boot floor but doesn't raise it. It's flush with the seatbacks when they're lowered. Sure, a full-size spare would be ideal, but to insist on that would restrict the choice of car to a very few.

Engineer Andy - you sound like a prime candidate for a Skoda Octavia! Have a look at one (the estate is the same overall length as the hatch), but if you're buying secondhand avoid the DSG.

I did like the 'minimalist' styling of the Octavia (I also prefer the Mazda6 over the 3), but truth be told I'm ideally looking to downsize on my next purchase, or at least the car shouldn't be any bigger. If the Golf or Leon 3dr had been as reliable as their Japanese counterparts and actually had their 380 ltr boot space (and all in th one compartment), then I would've gone for one of them in 1.4 petrol (150bhp) form.

Smileyman - I didn't really like the styling of the 308 and again, French cars' reliability and dealerships aren't in my view on a par with the Japanese.

I'd actually go fo the next car size down if the boot space of the c sector cars wasn't good enough. I still think this idea of reducing weight (or whatever the reason) by changing first from full size spares to space-savers to nothing aside the glue is just plain daft, especially when boot sizes (usable space) appear to be going down as new models appear on the market.

"But the info from the Volvo brochure, the dealers and the site I linked to above all confirm that there is a loss of boot space with the space saver fitted but no source have been able to provide a figure, that is why I want to see one."

There's no reason why the T4 that you're looking at (or rather, looking for) should be any different from my D4 V60. In terms of litres (such a stupid way to measure boot space), yes, you lose some from the quoted capacity, as this always includes underfloor space.

With mine, this space is filled by the space-saver. But there's no intrusion into the main boot space. The floor is flush with both the bottom of the tailgate opening and the backrests of the rear seats when folded down - which is as it should be.

I believe Volvo dealers get very few enquiries, let alone orders, for petrol engines. After my much-loved petrol Octavia, I hadn't really wanted to go back to diesel, but a good long run in a D4 persuaded me.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - RT
I believe Volvo dealers get very few enquiries, let alone orders, for petrol engines. After my much-loved petrol Octavia, I hadn't really wanted to go back to diesel, but a good long run in a D4 persuaded me.

On a point of order - I'm aware of a number of lower mileage potential customers for a petrol Volvo being fobbed off by dealers who are only interested in selling diesels - chicken and egg comes to mind.

I wonder why they would do that - there must be a risk of customers definitely wanting a petrol car going elsewhere.

Edited by Avant on 05/09/2016 at 01:09

I wonder why they would do that - there must be a risk of customers definitely wanting a petrol car going elsewhere.

When we were swapping the wifes car last year it had got to be 100% petrol. The Volvo V40 was arguably one of the better lookers in the class and the wife liked it, with the 150PS petrol engine it looked like a contender. Local Volvo dealer simply said "we don't sell petrols since no one wants them". Wife does not suffer fools easilly when she is spending her hard earned cash so we were out of the showroom faster than it would have taken to call him an ass hole.

Tried the Mazda 3, another looker but considering it had a 2 litre petrol motor it was a slug, that is why I need to actually drive a 6 petrol rather than driving a diesel 6 and ordering a petrol if I like it which is what the salesman suggested I did.

Ford, VW and Nissan had petrol demonstrators, actually the Nissan we drove was brand new on trade plates taken out of stock. Loads of bling bits on it, wrong colour etc, presume they hoped we would buy it. At least they tried and it payed off, the Note we bought had the same engine and our choice of spec and colour.

For the record the Note did not have spare but has a huge well under the floor that a full size easilly fits into. The quoted Nissan boot space does not include this under floor space thus by fitting a spare you still get what you pay for. This also applies to the Qashqai which is on the perifery of my short list.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - TR7
I have a space saver spare wheel and scissor jack for sale. I have just sold my Mazda 6 2014 saloon and it fits in the boot when you remove the polystyrene insert.
Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - john.

Hi,i dont suppose you still have the wheel and kit for the Mazda 6 do you,if not what size was it,16,or 17 inch,many thanks,John.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - The Gingerous One

Hi,

You could consider an older Jaguar XF.....

Well, it's a saloon, like a Mazda 6, and older ones have space for a full spare wheel.

So I have a petrol XF (3L V6 petrol is cam chain) and there's loads of space for a full-size spare.

I bought a spare 17" wheel, put a tyre on it and then bought a 1.5T scissor jack from Halfords. threw in a wheel brace and a set fo disposable gloves.

then...Nothing...happened

For 3 & 1/2 years...nothing....

Then I went up to the lake district for the day last month, came back to the car to find a flat front tyre, so sent the wife and kids back to the forest visitor centre for 15 mins or so whilst I changed the wheel.

As it was a full-sized spare, I could still drive back on the motorway at 70mph without issue.

Turns out I'd run over a rivet and it was close to the sidewall.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I'd only got the goo, oh look it hasn't sealed the leak, onto a recovery truck to nearest tyre depot (Keswick no doubt) and no doubt I'd be told that it was a size they hadn't got in stock....

So in fact I was quite happy with the outcome. I can't remember the last time I got a puncture like that, must be 20 years ago. But my £200 odd quid initial expenditure was worth it for that.

cheers

Stu

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - SteVee

What happens to cars with a haldex type clutch ?
The manual sometimes stipulates a maximum difference in tread - so what happens when you put an unused spare on ? - does it have to go on the rear wheels to ensure that axle will turn more slowly than front (as haldex cannot run the rear faster than front).
If you have a flat on your new tyres, and a used spare - then do you have to put the spare on the front ?
I really can't see owners swapping tyres around on their posh softroaders - but then again, I guess they've not read the handbook or even checked for the existence of a spare.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - daveyjp
I've just witnessed the consequence of not having a spare.

Went out earlier this evening and came across a driver of a new Suzuki Vitara pulled over. Hazards on. I don't know what he had done, but the front offside tyre was no longer on the rim and the car had been running on the rim for some time. It was at the bottom of a hill, so he may have suffered a catastrophic puncture which meant rim running was unavoidable for a period until he stopped.

I came past about an hour ago and the car is still there on a jack with no front wheel. This is a car where a can of gunk is deemed acceptable to fix a puncture! This was in an urban area, so no problem. Imagine if he'd been miles from civilisation.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Bilboman
Bristol cars of old (not sure about the forthcoming Bullet) had the near perfect solution to spare wheel storage by engineering in a special storage space in one of the front wings. Wonder why that never caught on...
It seems that all other wheel storage solutions for cars are flawed. 4x4s and pseudo 4x4s with boot-mounted spares can't/shouldn't go in the car wash. Under-bonnet (Ford Zephyr/Zodiac/Executive; Citroën DS and 2CV) is disliked for some reason (no idea what!); the under-the-boot storage cage beloved of French cars until recently was criticised for vulnerability to theft and damage; Upright, inside the boot robs space; under the boot floor is awkward to access with a full boot; and finally no car in history except the Rover P6 looked 'right' with a boot-mounted spare but it killed rearward visibility.
Time to 'make a feature of it' and mould the darn thing into the roof?

Edited by Bilboman on 07/09/2016 at 23:29

My first ever car, a much-loved Austin A50, had the ideal solution. A full-size spare was located under the boot floor, high enough up so as not to be visible unless you got under the car, and the cradle was wound down by attaching thw starting-handle-cum-wheelbrace to a nut reached via a hole on the body of the car next to the boot lid catch.

I think that covered all Bilboman's possibilities!

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - Warning

>Toyota uris estate (comes with spare tyre)

>Honda Civic (can buy a spare tyre)

> Mazda 6 (don't think there is even a space for a spare tyre)

Some manufacturers are n't putting spare tyres, to save weight and to get better fuel economy.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - davecooper

The Peugeot 405 had its spare slung underneath the boot. Not sure of any other cars that had the same arrangement but as long as you gave it a clean and checked the pressure regularly, it was fine.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - davecooper

Sorry. Somehow posted a duplicate of above.

Edited by davecooper on 14/09/2016 at 13:55

> Mazda 6 (don't think there is even a space for a spare tyre)

Read earlier in the thread. Plenty of space for a space saver in the Mazda 6 which is a Mazda accessory, at circa £400 not cheap for the kit

As regards the daft place Peugeot fitted the spares ask an owner who got a puncture and went to fit it only to find it had been nicked.

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - hillman

Skodalan

"However I've owned my current car, which came with the can of gunk instead if a spare, for over 4 years and 65000 miles now and not had a puncture. I keep meaning to buy a spare wheel kit but still haven't got round to it. Will probably get a puncture this afternoon now I've said that....."

I went for years without punctures but I've had several in the last few years, each time requiring replacement of the affected tyre, top of the line make, £200 a time. Once I visited the Screwfix store to buy something for my son and picked up a screw in the outside of the tread, which proves the old saw, "No good deed goes unpunished"

Mazda 6 - Cars without spare tyre - joegrundy

Son has a 1yo Dacia Sandero Ambience, came with standard compressor and can of gunk. Space saver spare was £100+.

Sandero has full size spare well in boot*, so bought a full size steel wheel with tyre fitted and balanced from 'mytyre', £85 delivered.

*Not surprising when you consider the markets where most of these are sold.