Metric car reviews? - Metropolis.

This applies to HJ as well as other reviewers. Why are you guys telling us the boot space in litres, the car length in mm the power in PS, and torque in NM ?

HJ even referred to feet as 'medieval' "well over six feet in medieval measurements."

We're leaving the EU shortly, no need to use the French system anymore.

The review in question: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-optima-sw-.../

At least you still talk in mpg and mph but the rest is just irritating and unfathomable.

Metric car reviews? - elekie&a/c doctor
...must try to find my whitworth spanners and socket set!
Metric car reviews? - Falkirk Bairn

The metric system will take over the world of measurement...................

after the Americans agree that it is a good idea.

Metric car reviews? - NARU

Welll I'm in my 50s and think in metres, litres and celsius. I'd happily convert to Kilometres too.

You're welcome to stick with bushels, chains and fathoms if you like, but the rest of the country has moved on.

Yes, very funny. But our road signs are in miles, yards and feet. Our speedometers still read in miles. Houses are still described in sq. feet. Land still sold by the acre. Cars still measured in BHP. Torque still generally measured in ft-lb. I don't see why they're going the extra 'mile' pardon the pun, to use metric. Good luck asking for half a litre of beer in a pub.

Edited by PCharlton on 29/08/2016 at 20:57

Metric car reviews? - focussed

I've been working, thinking and calculating in both systems all my life - why do you want to go back exclusively to an obsolete system that is based on bizarre units like inches - feet - yards - furlongs - rods - poles - perches - acres - pints- quarts -gallons- british thermal units- calories etc when the metric system is decimal based? - ie tens of everything?

Like I said - I have no problem with both systems - I carry the conversions for most of the common stuff either way in my head - always have.

Metric car reviews? - galileo

I've been working, thinking and calculating in both systems all my life - why do you want to go back exclusively to an obsolete system that is based on bizarre units like inches - feet - yards - furlongs - rods - poles - perches - acres - pints- quarts -gallons- british thermal units- calories etc when the metric system is decimal based? - ie tens of everything?

Like I said - I have no problem with both systems - I carry the conversions for most of the common stuff either way in my head - always have.

I too can use either system but the traditional system has useful units for everyday purposes, based on things like the length of an average human foot and other features.

The biggest problem with the metric system is that many people (including those in local and national media) often report things incorrectly by a factor of ten. This week our local paper said that a factory which had had a fire had a building 100 metres high, when in fact it is only 10 metres high. Reporting in feet this wouldn't happen, as people still have a concept of feet, yards etc. Ask members of the public how tall they are and see how many tell you in metric units rather than feet and inches.

Most preferred metric units are too large or too small to be convenient.

Railway locomotive lengths are now quoted in millimetres, how sensible is that? Metres and decimals would be better but is 'non-preferred'.

Yes, very funny. But our road signs are in miles, yards and feet. Our speedometers still read in miles. Houses are still described in sq. feet. Land still sold by the acre. Cars still measured in BHP. Torque still generally measured in ft-lb. I don't see why they're going the extra 'mile' pardon the pun, to use metric. Good luck asking for half a litre of beer in a pub.

When I worked for a major housebuilder nearly 20 years ago, we mostly worked in square metres - we only converted it to square feet for the buyers.

I always think of torque in Nm.

I mostly drink my beer at home, from 0.5 litre bottles.

We should be completing the adoption of the metric system, not running away from it.

The International System of Units has been adopted by most developed countries; however, the adoption has not been universal in all English-speaking countries. If we're going to be a modern, international country again, why would we use units that make it harder to trade with countries we wish to trade with?

Edited by Marlot on 30/08/2016 at 09:12

Metric car reviews? - craig-pd130

We're leaving the EU shortly, no need to use the French system anymore.

Don't hold your breath waiting ....

Waited most of my life, only a short while longer hopefully.

Metric car reviews? - brum

It annoys me intensely when journalists report weather events in Fahrenheit.

When I started grammar school back in 65, we were taught in si units. Decimalisation in 71 was necessary and easy to adopt.

What's the fuss? Its nothing to do with the EU, its an international system.

That'll be 55 pounds 2shillings threepence ha'penny for your 10 gallons Mr Charlton. Would you like green stamps with that sir?

Edited by brum on 29/08/2016 at 22:56

It has everything to do with the EU and its forbears. Its laws govern the use of metric measurements through directives that we have had to implement.

Metric car reviews? - Bilboman
Although the French were prime movers in the spread of the SI (I.e. Metric) system, there are 175 or so countries in the world which are NOT in the EU! Metrication is more to do with standardisation and I have always argued - usually to stubborn if not deaf ears - that if the whole world is using the English language the least English speakers could do in return is get to grips with Metric. As nearly all ex-colonies have done!
BTU and threads per inch and 000 ft of altitude and so on are nice units in their way, but why can't we have ONE universal unit for each category of weights and measures and ditch the rest?
It's the half-baked, half way there approach in Britain that I find maddening. Celsius if it's cold/Fahrenheit for hot; metric for small measures; imperial for longer or larger things. Miles per (no longer served) gallons. Bridge clearance signs imperial only or in both but never metric-only.
Why this lunacy? It must cost money and cause confusion and accidents and even injury. And imagine how many lives could have been saved and injuries avoided if the whole world had chosen one side of the road to drive on, way back in the 1920s!

It annoys me intensely when journalists report weather events in Fahrenheit.

When I started grammar school back in 65, we were taught in si units. Decimalisation in 71 was necessary and easy to adopt.

What's the fuss? Its nothing to do with the EU, its an international system.

That'll be 55 pounds 2shillings threepence ha'penny for your 10 gallons Mr Charlton. Would you like green stamps with that sir?

I agree - I have absolutely no feel for the figures. Can I wear shorts in weather that is 50? 60? 70? 90? I've no idea. The only figure I'm aware of is 32F, as freezing.

Metric car reviews? - Avant

The confusion is nothing new: even when I was a child in the 1950s, the cubic capacity of an engine was measured in cc (except in the USA). And tyre measurements defy logic, with part in Imperial, part in metric.

I don't think most Americans understand the metric system, so the muddle will no doubt continue.

Metric car reviews? - madf

I do not want any Luddite trying to go back to imperial measurements. They are impossible to use in the real world without a calculator.

Despite being an OAP I happily use metric and make beehives in metric - far simpler than imperial...

And anyone who says Brexit will make a change onvuiously thinks the rest of the world will change...

Rant over :-)

Metric car reviews? - Wackyracer

I can work in both metric or imperial (and do) but, I'm finding when doing DIY around the house that I work mainly in metric now due to everything being specified in metric.

All I want now is a tape measure that is metric only.

I have to admit being a luddite when it comes to MPG, I just cannot get used to the X litres/100km

Edited by Wackyracer on 30/08/2016 at 12:11

Metric car reviews? - SteVee

As an oldie, I much prefer metric.
At least it's consistent. Ask for a litre (of anything) and you'll get a litre (possibly a liter) - and it'll be exactly the volume you expect it to be.
Ask for a pint and you will get 20 fl.oz in UK and 16 fl.oz in USA, and a multiple of 8 for gallons. So MPG is inconsistent also. (yes, I do know that an Irish bar in the USA may give you a 20oz pint of beer :-) ).

Th UK went to metric paper sizes before France, I really don't want to start using the old imperial paper sizes.

Metric car reviews? - RT

I'm an old Luddite - taught both Imperial and Metric at Grammar School - I've never found it difficult to convert commonly used measures from one to the other, without recourse to a calculator.

What really annoys me is the use of DIN instead of Metric - DIN is just a German domestic standard, like BS was in the UK, and should only be used in that single country - but the global motor industry thinks it's fine to quote engine power outputs in PS which is PferdeSterke, ie Horsepower in German.

Why it's considered acceptably to use internationally an Imperial unit b******ised into German I'll never know.

I know my car is just under 4.8m long, and 1.7m high. I tow a caravan which weighs 1500Kg loaded, which is 2.6m tall using a noseweight of 90-100Kg. It works well because the engine produces 200bhp, and 440Nm. I can travel a reasonable distance because it has a 70 litre fuel tank.

I've no idea what any of these measurements is in an archaic pre-SI system.

I'm in my 50s, and most people my age and younger use metric measurements by default. The exceptions are the use of miles and pints. But I'd prefer to use metric for those too.

Metric car reviews? - oldroverboy.

The exceptions are the use of miles and pints. But I'd prefer to use metric for those too.

Do you think the pub will charge you less for your 500ml of your favourite beer after they have paid the costs of changing the glasses etc..

:>)

You guys must be in a different part of the country to me then. Where I am people mostly talk in imperial, hence being perplexed at a metric car review. Quite why people think the whole world has to be the same is beyond me. They dont speak English for our benefit, we gave that to them via colonialism.

I agree about not being half-way in/out. But where we clearly differ is i'd opt for a total return to imperial measurements. The only benefit to metric is conversions. Maths basically. Whereas Imperial is on the whole much easier to visualise as it has its roots in real life objects.

Metric car reviews? - davecooper

Becomes interesting when you have to design platforms in metric to accommodate American equipment designed in Imperial.

Metric car reviews? - ExA35Owner

The USA is the only industrialised country where the Systeme Internationale is not the official system of measurement. Apparently the only other two countries not using it are Liberia and Myanmar. Metric units have been permitted in the USA by law since 1866.

A Select Committee recommended the adoption of metric units for all purposes as far back as 1862; legalised for all purposes in 1896.

Metric car reviews? - RT

The USA is the only industrialised country where the Systeme Internationale is not the official system of measurement. Apparently the only other two countries not using it are Liberia and Myanmar. Metric units have been permitted in the USA by law since 1866.

A Select Committee recommended the adoption of metric units for all purposes as far back as 1862; legalised for all purposes in 1896.

Systeme Internationale didn't come into being until 1960, the Metric System (on which SI is based) is much older going back to 1799.

The USA doesn't use "Imperial" measure - it uses the "United States Customary System" (USCS) which uses many of the names in Imperial but in different sizes!

Systeme Internationale didn't come into being until 1960, the Metric System (on which SI is based) is much older going back to 1799.

The USA doesn't use "Imperial" measure - it uses the "United States Customary System" (USCS) which uses many of the names in Imperial but in different sizes!

And the US engine company our firm supplied dimensioned their parts in metric units.

Out of sheer awkwardness I prefer Imperial, rather than the system dreamed up during the French Revolution and imposed by Napoleon.

The Industrial Revolution that changed the world worked with Imperial Units, what did the Metric system ever achieve?

"what did the Metric system ever achieve?"

A degree of simplicity - that 's what it achieved.

I had to work on the motor of our dumper truck yesterday - It's a Briggs and Stratton 9000 Series 6.5 hp- fuel starvation. All the fasteners were metric.

Metric car reviews? - RT

Even metrication did nothing to reduce the number of spanners/sockets needed for modern cars - internal hex, external hex, internal star, external star and others I don't know the names of - I don't recall BSF and BSW being as complex!

I had to work on the motor of our dumper truck yesterday - It's a Briggs and Stratton 9000 Series 6.5 hp- fuel starvation. All the fasteners were metric.

Surely you mean 4.849 kilowatts?

hahaha!

If I wanted to express 6.5 hp in kilowatts it would be 4.784 because I use metric hp - haha!

Metric car reviews? - RT

If I wanted to express 6.5 hp in kilowatts it would be 4.784 because I use metric hp - haha!

According to Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Metric_horsepower...9 the "metric horsepower" is used to describe a number of differently rated measures from various countries - the German DIN PS was made obsolete in 1972 by the EEC.

Imperial horses clearly stronger than metric ones, so would win a tug of war.

Metric car reviews? - Smileyman

totally confused .... think & drive in miles and use mpg - even overseas (excpet for speed which I think in both metric and imperial measurements), however, I measure car sizes in metric units (mainly because this is how the sizes are given), milk I buy in pints, but water and all else in litres - except that for petrol I convert back to gallons (imperial gallons, not US gallons, a real strange hybrid of a measurement)

I was taught both at school, never really got to proper grips with imperial measurements then got confused by the swtich to metric measurements

BUT, at least I'm ok with money, be it metric or imperial (£ s d) I can cope with both and never get mixed up - just as well as I'm now an accountant!!

Metric car reviews? - dadbif
The biggest con, and most inflationary change, was to change to selling petrol by the litre instead of gallons.
Metric car reviews? - RT
The biggest con, and most inflationary change, was to change to selling petrol by the litre instead of gallons.

Why? Inflation was galloping along whether we changed to litres or not.

Metric car reviews? - Smileyman

I'm sure people said the same when decimisation took place (1971) and at the introduction of the Euro in Europe - at least we were spared that one!

Metric car reviews? - RT

I'm sure people said the same when decimisation took place (1971) and at the introduction of the Euro in Europe - at least we were spared that one!

They also said the same when the 1/4d, 1/2d coins and 10/- and £1 notes got withdrawn.