Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - fredthefifth

Anyone else had a letter from their VW dealership - "You have been selected by Volkswagen UK for a manufacturer upgrade on your car"?

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - RobJP

sounds like a sales pitch to me, a 'special, invitation-only' offer ... which in reality is no better than any other deal you can get through a broker, or by bargaining hard, or by playing dealers off against each other.

That, or it's the new way of getting the recall work carried out on the emissions problems, because it seems take-up isn't brilliant.

I have refused the upgrade having bought the car from that VW dealership 2 years ago. I was wondering if its a sort of backhanded way of getting me out of the car.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - skidpan

If its a free upgrade do it.

If they expect you to pay its not really an upgrade is it. All they are doing is conning you into spending on a new car you did not plan on buying.

The local(ish) Seat delaers have been trying to get me to upgrade for months. When I refused their kind offer was was even stupid enough to offer me a used car the same age as my own at a "very special price". When I asked why I would want to swap my car for another identical used one he stuggled to come up with any words.

Make a new word containing the words "ar5e" and "hole" and you have a perfect description of the salesman.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - Bianconeri
I read it slightly differently. Is the 'upgrade' the removal of cheat software?

Ha, thanks for the replies, liked your answer to the salesman Skidpan.

I see the confusion in relation to my post, my fault.

I have refused the upgrade in relation to the cheat software and will continue to do so based on the many reports I have read on how its shafts the engine. HJ's advice to take the update IMHO is out of date and in other quesions to him he doesnt really address the main issue.

The other upgrade which was the reason for this post is about my VW dealer from whom I purchased the car, offering me special treatment if I buy a new car or demonstrator. I'm sceptical that its just a sales ploy that everyone is getting or am I really getting special treament?

Haven't seen any replies to this post saying they've had the letter I refer to in my opening post.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - brum

Yes exactly. Its a sneaky, underhanded and cowardly way of saying there is a recall to cover their backsides and hopefully you wont twig whats going on and claim compensation which you are entitled to do by law.

Selected means you have one of the the affected diesels (they are all affected just the uk/eu legal action identified yours).

Maufacturer upgrade is marketing speak for installing new firmware and new emission control stuff.

You may be upgraded to having an adblue injection system added. DO NOT ACCEPT THIS WITHOUT COMPENSATION IN THE FORM OF FREE ADBLUE TOP UP FOR LIFE (INCLUDING LABOUR AND INCONVENIENCE COSTS) A LIFETIME WARRANTY (TRANSFERABLE) PLUS MONETARY COMPENSATION TO COVER YOU HAVING TO GO TO A DEALER TO HAVE THIS DONE 2 TO 4 TIMES A YEAR PLUS A LUMPSUM TO COVER THE DROP IN VALUE OF YOUR CAR.

If they wont agree, then demand they take the car back and give you a full refund, what you paid for the car. Talk to VAG direct.

Do be aware that, if you refuse to have the recall work carried out (and a lot of people seem to be doing so), then it is entirely feasible that the DVLA/VOSA will move to refuse the granting of an MOT to such vehicles, or invalidate vehicles where such work has not been carried out.

If that happened, and time where the vehicle was off the road was YOUR fault due to your refusal to get the work done, then you could well be left with no vehicle, and a wait of several days / weeks until the work could be done. During which VAG would bear no liability to keeping you on the road.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-tran...l

Read the article, wonder how much of it is a scare story. Anyway passed its first mot on Friday so a year to sort things out.

Fact remains that many are reporting that the fix shafts the engine.

My letter is more a vehicle upgrade, not the sofrware, here's the letter:-

Dear Mr xxx
Volkswagen UK have recently contacted us to state that you have been selected to receive a manufacturer upgrade on your current Volkswagen model.
Your selection means that you have been chosen along with only a handful of other Volkswagen drivers in the UK to receive support in upgrading to a brand new '66' plate model.
How does this work?
Volkswagen have allocated a substantial sum of money to you, their selected upgrade customers, which enables them to support you in the purchase of a new Volkswagen.
It also means you will benefit from all of the following:-
• Significant savings from the list price
• Enhanced support to finance your deposit and monthly payments
• Additional support on ex-demonstrator models
To find out more and to confirm you would like to receive this support please call 01935 513182 and quote your upgrade code shown below. Alternatively, book your appointment online at: www.xxx

Signed by [the Brand Manager at the local VW Dealership]

Ahh. It's a sales pitch then.

The 'amazing deal' will be no better, and quite probably worse, then you could obtain through DTD, C2C, or other brokers. But dressed up to make it feel special and exclusive.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - Avant

Nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary - as Rob says, just a sales pitch. I had something similar from Skoda a few days ago. The usual reason for the effort on the part of the dealers is to shift stock.

This is also the aim of the 'exclusive weekends' that have been very common this year. If you're on a dealer's mailing list you get these. I went to one with a BMW dealer when I was car-hunting earlier this year: the salesman got less interested when it became clear that I would need a factory order, and there was nothing special about the deals if you didn't want the cars they were trying to shift.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - skidpan

Sofware upgrades can be dangerous to refuse. When we had a Kia we received upgrades several times some of which were to protect the life of certain components, others were to improve the running of the car. After one upgrade the car was so much improved it was unbelievable. Before the upgrade at 50 mph in M1 roadworks the car would not run easilly in 6th gear, after the upgrade it would. MPG improved as a result as well.

With regards with the upgrade to protect componets there were several instances where owners who had refused the upgrade found themselves well out of pocket when the componet failed prematurely and Kia refused warranty cover.

Thanks folks for the replies. It is a fact however that the emmision "fix" upgrades has shafted some engines. I spoke to the dealership and their stance is that its up to th the owners. However I think they know that matters might be taken out of the owners hands and it becomes a legal requirement. Anyway for now the car is running brilliantly without the fix and I intend to keep it that way!

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - alan1302

It is a fact however that the emmision "fix" upgrades has shafted some engines.

Has it?

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - daveyjp
I've had a "special invitation" from MB today. New reg is out, end of summer holidays, stock to shift so they need to sell.

Pity that last time we went there we were dealt with by a truly miserable individual who simply told us the cars advertised on their web page had the wrong info and they didn't have them. I wouldn't have bought off her with a 50% discount, no idea how she gets any sales.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - oldroverboy.

I have had the identical invitation from Kia yesterday, totally ignoring that I bought a car a few months back.

I asked if they would PX it at what i paid and if so i would buy another but am still waiting for the return call.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - brum

I have had the identical invitation from Kia yesterday, totally ignoring that I bought a car a few months back.

I asked if they would PX it at what i paid and if so i would buy another but am still waiting for the return call.

Bit of a daft question, as they would probably even give you more than you paid as PX dont you know. They will adjust the selling price (reduce the discount) of the vehicle you are buying accordingly. Always ask/look at price to change, not PX value.

It is a fact however that the emmision "fix" upgrades has shafted some engines.

Has it?

It appears so. HJ has recorded several instances - in the Tiguan particularly, I think - of the 'fix' introducing lack of power/torque.

Latest one only today : www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/70006/issue-post...n

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - Avant

It's worth noting HJ's final comment - if performance is down, try it on higher-grade diesel and see if that works. HJ hasn't had the opportunity to try this himself, but it's worth giving it a go.

If it doesn't, it's probably time to flog it.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - VW Letter - mickeybay

VW and UK and European transport ministries have said from the start that the software 'cheat' only kicked in during the USA test and did not affect normal running or the European test.

If the car passes the UK test without the software kicking in, then surely it is legal in the UK and doesn't need the fix.

If the software was only applied during the USA test, then the 'fix' should have no effect at all on normal running. Indeed VW have maintained that the fix will have no noticeable effect on the engine in use.

If that is so, then why is any 'fix' needed in Europe?

If it is a 'simple software fix' as claimed for most models, then why is it taking so long? I have an affected 2.0 TDI model and so far have not had a 'fix' letter.

The latest 'it may not be legal if you refuse' seems to me an attempt to push through a dodgy 'fix' that really IS needed and therefore there is something we are not being told, either:

a) Because they would then need to pay compensation in Europe which would possibly bankrupt VW (and Germany with it)

and/or

b) If they are able to fudge the issue for long enough, the models affected will all be older that 3 years, the time many are changed and crucially the older they are, the greater the proportion that would then not be sold by VW dealers. If the original owners have 'upgraded', I would presume a claim for losses would be much harder to prove.