Speed cameras - Skysinger
Got caught - Sunday morning - semi rural road - 30 limit - got pinged at 37mph. Notice of Intended Prosecution itemised 'CHRISTCHURCH ROAD, EPSOM. Failed to find it on Google Maps! But there is a 'CHRIST CHURCH ROAD'. Is this technicality enough to negate the summons?
Speed cameras - RT

No!

Man up and pay up.

Speed cameras - FP
Where the intention and meaning are clear, the law will not take much, if any, notice of irregularities like this.

In any case, you may well find that the spelling CHRISTCHURCH ROAD is in fact used on street signs or in some local documents relating to the area. I would not take Google Maps (or indeed anything found on the internet) as definitive proof of anything.

Sorry, but the subtext of the post (as RT assumed) suggests someone is trying to wriggle out of responsibility. In this case it won't work.

Edited by FP on 27/07/2016 at 18:50

Speed cameras - TedCrilly
Google "slip rule"
Speed cameras - Peter D

You should be offered a speed awareness course and no points. Regards Peter

Speed cameras - RT

You should be offered a speed awareness course and no points. Regards Peter

Doesn't that depend on area?

Speed cameras - RobJP
Depends on area, depends on whether you've done a similar course in the last few years ... depends on a lot of factors.

As to a slight mis-spelling of the road name ... feel free to try it on. Don't be surprised if the court takes a VERY dim view and increases your penalty though !
Speed cameras - Skysinger
Many thanks chaps and chapesses... My question was prompted by reading about wheedling lawyers for megarich slebs (usually footballers) engineering acquittals for serious offences on the flimsiest technicalities. I intended to swallow the pill but I thought it was worth a punt.
Speed cameras - Palcouk
I know of one individual who got a ticket for a traffic violation filmed on camera, this was canceled because the wrong location was given - this was unequivocal, not a simple spelling mistake
Speed cameras - concrete
Nice try Skysinger. I firmly believe that if we are required to observe the law then so are 'they'. That means if the law requires the essential details to be accurate and correct, then they should be. If not, then you have a 'get out of jail card'. One law for all. Get it right and there would not be any technicalities to use as an escape route. QED.
Cheers Concrete
Speed cameras - Avant
For much of my childhood we lived in Pineridge Drive.... or Pine Ridge Drive. Both were used, and at some point an old sign showing the latter was replaced by a new one with the former.

Something similar may be the case here. Were you actually in that road on the day in question, Skysinger? If so, I'm afraid it's a fair cop.
Speed cameras - Dwight Van Driver
I am with Rob JP.

So you wish to contest the FPN and advise them accordingly.

Their next step is to take the matter to Court where the defect may or may not
be rectified on the summons.

If not the Court will not consider a major defect and convict and as said may add a bit more through fine and Court costs.

PapaAlphaYankee

dvd