Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - Fred Johnson
The car has had no problems in 5 years. Travelling at 70MPH on the motorway, I noticed the car was slowing. The car lost all power and came to a halt on the hard shoulder. There had been no warning of any issues and I had just accelerated to motorway speed from a junction. If I have low tyre pressure,the dash goes red to warn me, but when the engine dies, nothing.
The ignition lights were bright but turning the key did nothing. No dimming of the lights to indicate low battery and no cranking of the engine. I had to have the car recovered and taken to my local MB garage. After 3 days they still can't identify a fault. The said the starter motor was not able to spin fast enough, but I was sceptical and sure enough replacing it didn't resolve anything.
Has anyone suffered any similar issues with a bluemotion diesel?

Fred

Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - craig-pd130
Is the MB garage a proper main dealer with the MB Star computer for reading fault codes? If yes, then they should be able to find any fault codes quickly.

I would suspect a problem with the injection system - either the pump, or one or more failing injectors. But I would assume low injection pressure or a faulty injector would create a fault code.

There's also this possibility: does the ignition key move when the engine cuts out? www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/43027/why-does-o...n-
Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - hardway
Diesels HAVE to crank over at 180 -220 rpm,
What speed does your engine crank over at?
Low crank speed can be caused by battery,
Starter,
or high resistance power or ground leads or connections.
But the last Merc I had a no crank on was caused by a failure of the ECU.
The ECU triggers the relay to solenoid to starter.
If yours is the same I don't know.
Start with testing the above.
Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - elekie&a/c doctor
"slow to turn".Could this be an engine fault?Loss of oil/pressure?
Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - Fred Johnson

Here is the full analysis and what to beware of.

The turbo is positioned at the top rear of the V6, and there is a oil seal which thanks to a brilliant design, hangs perfectly over a crucial unit known as the inlet port cutout motor, buried deep in the V. The MB garage knows that this can lead to problems should it leak, and they check it during the service. However, during those 8 months since the last service, a leak started from the turbo oil seal. This loss is undetectable by doing a dipstick check and I vaguely remember picking up a whiff of burning oil on just a couple of occasions, but so minor I couldn't even tell if it was my car.

On this fatefull Saturday the said inlet port cutout motor, now full of oil, catastrophically failed at motorway speed, did its job and shut down the engine. I can't associate the failure with the starter motor being burnt out, hence the inability to crank, but it had to replaced. To add insult to injury, to get to the oil filled cutout motor, the turbo had to be removed and of course one of the bolts was completely siezed and had to be carefully drilled out. The total bill for a failed £4 oil seal came to £1300, so should you have a V6 MB and detect just the tiniest whiff of burnt oil, don't ignore it.

Fred

Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - craig-pd130

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the update. What a daft piece of design.

For what it's worth, a quick Google shows that it's quite a common problem with the V6 diesels, and a pig of a job to do (even if you don't have seized bolts)

Edited by craig-pd130 on 02/08/2016 at 17:06

Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - sandy56

What wonderful German engineering! They do seem to have the plot.

Mercedes C350 Cdi Sport Auto - C350 Diesel cuts out at 70mph and engine will not - Ashnaylor
Had exactly the same thing with my 2010 cdi 350. Fortunately was driving along at 30mph and was able to pull over safely. Guy managed to fix it without removing the turbo but it is a pig of a job, £200 for parts + £230 for fitting. As Fred says, slightest sign of an oil leak from the front seal on the turbo, get it seen to. Really bad design.