Refund for car - iclegg

I have baught a car payed £5000 cash and my car.i had the car for 2 days did 150 miles and took it back because it had faults such as gear box, no passenger working seat belt (which passed the mot some how) cracked tyre squeeking breaks. They agreed to fix it its going to have taken them 1 week 5 days but there saying there not fixing the gear box till it breaks down. Can I get a full refund what do I do if they say no.

Refund for car - Palcouk
Purchased from a dealer? if the vehicle has major faults you can reject for a refund, but if they wont refund you then have to go through the small claims process which will have some cost and could take 6 months or more. You could try your local trading standards
Refund for car - RobJP
Initially you say the gearbox is faulty, then you are saying that the garage will only replace it when it breaks down.
What exactly is the 'fault' with the gearbox ?
Refund for car - iclegg

1st gear pops out by its self

Refund for car - FP
I would say that was serious enough to need some kind of intervention - repair/replacement of the gearbox.

If the dealer won't play ball on that, reject the car.
Refund for car - RobJP
I would say that was serious enough to need some kind of intervention - repair/replacement of the gearbox. If the dealer won't play ball on that, reject the car.

Agreed. Consumer Rights Act gives you the right to reject it.
Refund for car - TheBroker
Suggest they rectify immediately otherwise you will report them to Trading Standards as well as VOSA for passing a car for MoT which should have failed.
Do not drive the vehicle any more as this could constitute acceptance of the fault as well.
Take it directly to them, with someone with you, outline the faults and demand it be repaired. If they refuse then you will need to formally reject the vehicle, in writing), then report to VOSA and Trading Standards. Take a note of the mileage and park it up. Inconvenient I know but best way, especially bearing in mind it is not road legal.
Good Luck