VW Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 5dr - Tyre pressures on my new MK7 car. - oldgit
I bought this new car about a fortnight ago now and was surprised at the recommended 'normal' tyre pressures.

When I open my driver's door, on the 'B' pillar is a sticker giving various pressures depending on load etc. as per usual. My 'normal' recommended pressure with two up is 35psi, which seems high to me and does make for a somewhat hard ride.
There is also a tyre pressure listed with an exclamation mark against it and in the user's manual, this refers to a 'Comfort Tyre Pressure' of 30psi for some models which can be used to some detriment in the fuel consumption. To my mind I think that this would make for a more forgiving ride on our appalling roads but wonder whether something between 30 and 35psi could be a compromise - say 32/33psi?
Initially the salesperson, on handover, didn't really comment on this but I was wondering if the higher pressures is something to do with trying to contribute towards the good fuel consumption achieved by these cars in addition to Start/Stop etc.
My model is labelled 'Bluemotion Technologies' but hasn't got the full spec. the true Bluemotion Golf has.
Any views. My heavier MK6 Golf on Michelins ran at 30 psi for 7 years but this new car is fitted with Hankooks!
VW Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 5dr - Tyre pressures on my new MK7 car. - RT

Bluemotion doesn't necessarily include all 4 points of it - Brake Energy Recuperation (Smart Alternator) - Stop/Start - Low Rolling Resistance Tyres - Aerodynamics.

Stop/Start is fundamental to BMT and the Aerodynamics are the same for each model - so the Smart Alternator and Eco Tyres are optional.

I recently had a New Beetle as a courtesy car - the ride was over-firm but fuel consumption good at 65mph - checking the tyre pressures, they were set to 40psi instead of 30 on the sticker - reducing them improved the ride comfort but consumption dropped to 50mpg.

Stop/Start is fundamental to BMT and the Aerodynamics are the same for each model - so the Smart Alternator and Eco Tyres are optional.

Ah, yes that good old Stop/Start the most irritating feature. Except for longer journeys where one won't be so away of it, I disable it as the engine that keeps cutting out and re-starting goes against my old thoughts on how an engine and its components should be treated.
VW Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 5dr - Tyre pressures on my new MK7 car. - Avant
I would try 32 all round and see how you get on. If the manual quotes 30 for 'comfort' there can't be any sort of risk.
I would try 32 all round and see how you get on. If the manual quotes 30 for 'comfort' there can't be any sort of risk.

All this business about 'correct' pressures is a very hypothetical subject isn't it? I mean today it would be remiss to adjust any pressures with any car sitting in these sort of temperatures and so I wonder just at what temperatures are we owners expected to set our tyres correctly. Obviously pressures shouldn't be set if a car has been driven for a number of miles. I don't know what the correlation between tyre pressures and temperatures is but I would think that it could amount to several psi with tyres set on a day when the temperature is 10C compared with today at 30C+
VW Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 5dr - Tyre pressures on my new MK7 car. - HandCart
And when one is pondering over a difference of 2 PSI,
do you know how accurate your gauge is ?

- at all points over the range of say 25 to 40 PSI ?

And what is meant by "cold" ?
5 Celsius?
12 Celsius?
18 Celsius?

Air temperature? Or the concrete the tyres are standing on?
And when one is pondering over a difference of 2 PSI, do you know how accurate your gauge is ? - at all points over the range of say 25 to 40 PSI ? And what is meant by "cold" ? 5 Celsius? 12 Celsius? 18 Celsius? Air temperature? Or the concrete the tyres are standing on?

Yes, what you have just said confirms the nonsense that is tyre pressure recommendations without stipulation of temperature and I don't just mean checking them on 'cold' tyres on cars that have not been driven for some hours. How many just turn up at a garage and check their 'warm' tyres and put air in?
VW Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 5dr - Tyre pressures on my new MK7 car. - 72 dudes
You're right of course, but to come back to your original question:

Unless you regularly carry heavy loads or backseat passengers, I would try the fronts at 32 and the rears at 30 and see how it feels.

Most FWD cars have a weight distribution of 60/40 to the front, so I like to have the fronts at a slightly higher pressure, with the rears softer.

I've done this for years as I prefer this setup to a harsher ride, even if it does mean a slight reduction in MPG.