02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - Bazzajames
Hi, I have a problem with my focus. While driving home on the motorway on Friday the car broke down, the glow plug coil light started flashing and the engine died. After about 20 mins the engine restarted and I managed to get off at the next junction before the same thing happened again. The AA came out and towed me home stating it was probably the fuel pump or injectors. The next morning I managed to drive the car to my brothers house and once again the engine died. It now won't start at all.

Does anyone have any ideas what the fault is likely to be. Having done some research some people were suggesting it might be the in tank fuel pump. Does the TDCI have an in tank pump? Or isn't that just a fuel gauge unit in there?

Any help would me much appreciated the car was a great car with only 80k on the clock would be a shame to break it if it is something simple to fix.

Thanks
02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - hardway

Well at least the AA towed you home,

But not much use after that.

Guessing is an expensive way to procede.

And guessing it's the pump/injectors is just that,

A guess.

Get it scanned for fault codes,

there has to be something in the memory if the coil light came on.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought thanks mr AA man, a friend of mine has a fault code reader don't think it's compatible with my car, but will ask him to take a look for me. Am I right in thinking that there isn't an in tank fuel pump on a TDCI?
02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor

No Ford diesels of this era have an in tank pump.Get the system tested by some body who understands the workings of a Crd engine.When was the fuel filter last changed?No cheap code readers will work on this car as it is not eobd compliant.

I've had the car about a year and haven't changed the fuel filter myself so allow the car has been well maintained I am not sure when it was last changed. It couldn't actually be that simple could it? Would that explain the symptoms?
02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately with modern day plug in diagnostics it is all too easy to overlook the basics .A lack of fuel supply to the injectors could cause the system to shut down.So yes,it could be that simple.

Ok well I will give it a shot, I will change the filter tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Someone else on a different forum suggested that trying to start the car with the fuel pump disconnected might prove if the pump was faulty. Apparently diesel should squirt out of the connection when the fuel is under pressure. Does this sound right? And is it advisable to try it?

Thanks for your advice

Unfortunately google fix does not tell you how dangerous opening a hi- pressure fuel line can be.If you are not sure ,leave well alone.I do not advise any messing with fuel lines on the high pressure side.The filter can be changed by yourself as it is on the low pressure inlet system.Just make sure you prime the filter with diesel,otherwise you will never get the engine to start.

02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - 3uga

Do not change the fuel filter because its a waste of money, I have the 1.6 tdci and does not have a warning light when fp goes out of diesel. Considering that you have the aluminiu capsulated filter with only a heater on it.
First check fuses but i.m at the point of thinking that its a dpf related problem or a fried injector coil or frp sensor.

When I first had problems with fueling, the car staled, had limited power, and died at moderate-hard accelerations.

A first thing to do GET YOUR CAR TESTED WITH A SCANNER. It will be less expencive on the total repar instead of throwing parts at it.

Edited by 3uga on 10/07/2016 at 20:56

02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - Gibbo_Wirral
The AA came out and towed me home stating it was probably the fuel pump or injectors.

That's their stock reply. Twice they've told customers of mine that when it wasn't - one was a blocked filter, the other was weak current to the pump due to an old battery.

02 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - Ford Focus TDCI Starting problem - 3uga

Find any solutiin to your problem?