SEAT Leon SC - Non-starting Seat Leon S 03 1.6 16v - C0nfu5513d

Wonder if anyone has some experience with the problem I'm having and provide the best place to look for faults that may be causing this.

Have a 2003 Seat Leon S 1.6 16v petrol, which won't regularly won't start. Seems worse on wet/damp days. Put in the key and a horrible whining starts coming from the engine. Turn the key to turn the engine and it just goes but doesn't fire up. When it does fire, it normally cuts straight back out a few times, then the engine starts and idles around 2-300 revs then cuts out. Finally, if it starts, it will again idle at 2-300 and the accelerator won't work, then finally shoots up to about 1k revs and goes.

I have given up on working the issue out, so passed it to my mechanic who is also bemused as to what is causing it. Sparks, coil and ht leads are all OK. New alternator and battery has been fitted. O2 sensor and ECU maybe faulty, but don't want to go down the route of sorting that out unless needed, as have already forked out over £400 trying to fix this.

Any advice on faults that may be causing this or anyone who has experienced similar issues and knows where to go, would be much appreciated.

SEAT Leon SC - Non-starting Seat Leon S 03 1.6 16v - RobJP

Has the fuel filter ever been changed, and if so, when ? If so, was a proper OEM one used, as a lot of cheapie aftermarket filters don't have the one-way valve fitted.

SEAT Leon SC - Non-starting Seat Leon S 03 1.6 16v - Metropolis.

Good call re fuel filter. Commonly overlooked!

Don't think so actually. Will check with my mechanic tomorrow, as it's his old car. Error messages have shown a crank angle sensor and o2 sensor as not working. Also intermittent fault on the ecu too. Crank angle was replaced and still the same problem. HT leads, coils and sparks checked and working, so it's basically a case of not spending a fortune on parts which might not fix it. Good place to check though, so hopefully will see what he says

Mechanic changed it about a year ago and fitted a new OEM one. Have just spent a good hour with the electrics diagnostics person and cleaned out throttle body which led to throttle not working and revs jumping. Reset a few times then it settled and started behaving. Lambda sensor was showing as to rich a fuel mixture, but gases where running clean. She reckons it could either be the fuel pump, ECU or the wiring to the ECU. So still at a loss to what may be causing it. So the hunt goes on

SEAT Leon SC - Non-starting Seat Leon S 03 1.6 16v - elekie&a/c doctor

Has anyone checked the operation of the coolant temp sensor?.It may not show a fault on the diagnostic system,but it may be operating out of range.The actual value of the sensor needs to be checked engine cold.

Thanks. Will give that a try.

Checked and showed higher temps than actual temp of engine. Replaced and so far no problems. Cheers for the advice all