Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - john1704

Dealer claims they have done a 90k service on my car and I am not convinced. No proof of the service. Would timing belt be inspected?

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - RobJP

Even if it was inspected, there would be no evidence of this. Eyeballs don't leave marks ...

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - Bromptonaut

Petrol or diesel and how old?

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - elekie&a/c doctor

What are you not convinced about??

I wasn't given any proof of the service..the car is petrol and 9 years old..and it was a pre sale service

Edited by john1704 on 16/06/2016 at 20:00

So,looks like you bought a 9 year old car from a second hand car dealer.A pre-sale service would probably be an oil and filter change at the most and a checkover of other items.Realistically what were you expecting?Is there any record of a previous cam-belt change?

No proof of cambelt change...the dealer said they had done the service but I wasnt given any proof of it..I thought the cambelt would have atleast been checked..it snapped 10 weeks after I bought the car..

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - galileo

No proof of cambelt change...the dealer said they had done the service but I wasnt given any proof of it..I thought the cambelt would have atleast been checked..it snapped 10 weeks after I bought the car..

A 9 year old car without a valid service history? When I bought similar (presumably fairly inexpensive) cars within one week I took them to my trusted independent for a cambelt change and a general MOT type check.

The dealer may have looked at the cambelt and judged it OK, belts can fail even if they may have looked serviceable.

Fair comment..but surely at 90k it would look worn?and the dealer is now denying it was serviced at all at 90k..even though the advert stated it had been!

Unfortunately cam belts very rarely "look" worn.I replaced the cambelt on my old Honda Accord (1999 model)last year,the old belt I took off did not look much different to the new one.

Really?!I didn't expect that..I'm guessing that cambelts are not covered under a standard three month warranty either?

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - Bromptonaut

What does the Peugeot service schedule say needs to be done at 90K?

More specifically, what is the replacement interval for the cambelt?

Unless (a) the service interval is 1yr/10k miles and/or (b) cambelt replacement is mandated at 9yrs/90k and (c) vehicle was sold with clear statement that 90k/9yr service was done to mfrs spec you're going to struggle.

What was the damage when belt let go?

Well peugeot says every 2yr/20k miles, autovista says cambelt change at 72k and the car was sold having been services at 90,000 miles..but no proof of the service. I trusted the dealer to get me the proof and he didn't.

Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - oldroverboy.
Mistake no1. Trusting dealer.
Mistake no2. Buying an old car without researching it first.
OOPS!
Peugeot 307 SW - what would be done in a 90k service? - Gibbo_Wirral

If there was no history of the cambelt being done anywhere after 60,000 miles then I would have either walked away from the sale, or negotiated it being done for a price, or haggled in some way and got it done the week after I bought it.

Well I have definately learnt my lesson that's for sure...autodata says it should have been changed at 72k miles,peugeot says 80,000km!!which is about 50kmiles so maybe again at 160k km/ 100 miles?

Edited by john1704 on 17/06/2016 at 20:27