vw with idle and decelerating problems - fluff
I have just purchased an approved used vw bora 1.6 S (registered in 2000). It seems to have a regular miss when idling (that is noticable inside the car) and also I it is impossible to get the car to decelerate smoothly.
When the car is in neutral if I increase the revs to 2200 and then try to ease off to 1800 the revs just drop to idle and the accelerator pedal is pulled away from my foot! When driving in 4th or 5th and you ease off the pedal still moves away. In 1st or 2nd if you just accelerate and then ease off the car nose dives and almost stalls (it does stall if you let it).
This is the best bit, I took the car back to the dealership and they have told me that these are "normal characteristics of the Volkswagen 1.6 SR engine".

Has anybody got/had a similar vehicle and are these normal characteristics?
vw with idle and decelerating problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
An air leak into the inlet manifold seems possible, this would give the 'miss' you describe and also upset the fuelling causing the near stalling. Careful application of carb cleaner around the inlet manifold to head joints would show it up.
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
vw with idle and decelerating problems - floggit
I have a 12 month old 8000 mile golf 2 litre. The engine has been replaced (twice) now and the car now judders on decelleration from 2000 to around 1000 revs. The fuel consumption is noticeably affected. The dealer says the engine is 'hunting' and is a feature of golfs.
regards andy williams