New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - Krell

Hi there. Owned Honda CR-V 2012 2.0 Petrol version, which i sold like year ago.

Thinking to buy a new car, and seem that we like Kia Sportage with 1.7 Crdi.

I read around that 1.7 Crdi is very sluggish, so can someone compare this 1.7 Crdi Kia to Honda CR-V 2.0 Petrol in term of performance?

And what real fuel consumption of this 1.7 Crdi in Kia Sportage i can expect?

The other option that we think about is Suzuki Vitara, but if i pick Diesel Engine and similar Equipment they are similar price to Kia, and Look that Sportage offer more space and comfort than Vitara so im not sure that we should think about Vitara at all.

Opinions? :)

Thanks a lot

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - RobJP

The only opinion that will matter is yours. So go do some test drives.

Some people might find the Sportage 1.7d sluggish, but you might think it's perfectly adequate. Again, you might drive the Sportage and Vitara and decide that there's no (or lots!) of difference in space and comfort. It all depends on what you need out of it.

Remember, most motoring journalists drive a car for a few hours, then go and write a review. You will drive it for a few years.

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - Gage

I've owned my Kia Soprtage 1.7 CRDi for 3months after coming from a Honda Jazz 1.4 automatic and in terms of performance its got enough power for me (I'm not a boy racer so not concerned about any 0-60 stats). You have to remember its a mini suv packed with a slightly smaller diesel engine so don't expect to be anyones get away driver.

in terms of fuel consumption, theres 2 readings on the car, one for the average and one for the trip you've made. My average at the moment is 42.7 which seems to be climbing everything time I drive (I'm guessing the engine is breaking in) and on trips I get around 53 mpg. My weekly commute consist of a 8 mile trip there and back from work consisting of A roads in light to medium traffic and and some weekends travel up to Birmingham on the M40.

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - badbusdriver

The other day I found a copy of car magazine from about 10 months ago, still in its cellophane bag (its on subscription). Anyway, I've been reading it and there was a 3 car test between the then brand new sportage and VW tiguan, with the BMW X1. The BMW and Kia (top of the range 2.0 diesel with 4wd) had similar power outputs of 187bhp and 180bhp respectively, while the VW had 148bhp. However, against the stopwatch, the Kia was well off the pace of the BMW and only 0.1 seconds quicker than the (158kg heavier) tiguan!. But hey ho, this is only of any consequence if you are bothered by such things. Unsurprisingly the Kia was placed 3rd, but it was pointed out that this was mainly due to that particular version being too expensive, and the sportage 'sweet spot' was further down the range with a lower spec, front wheel drive 1.7 diesel version.

But maybe the question should be regarding whether or not buying a new diesel SUV, regardless of brand or model. If you are a regular visitor to this forum, you can't fail to have noticed the general advice being offered is to steer clear of diesels unless you really need one.

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - SLO76
It might not be a ball of fire but it has substantially more torque than your old CRV so it will offer better day to day performance and much improved economy. It's a solid option with a good reputation and may have some of that excellent 7yr Kia warranty left if you buy one with a full Kia service history. It's not an entertaining drive but will compare ok with your CRV.

I wouldn't touch the Vitara diesel as it uses a Fiat engine which is guaranteed to go wrong later in life.

As for other options, it's all down to budget. How much are you thinking of?

Edited by SLO76 on 24/06/2017 at 20:07

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - Brownboy

I'e recently bought a 2 ltr auto AWD sportage. It drives ok but is no powerhouse. Comfort is similar to most I should imagine in its class but wish I'd gone for mazda cx5 as AWD system matches the forester. I was going to buy the forester but the chain driven cvt auto gearbox apparently needs changing every 50k and is around 4k to replace the box as they don't replace just the belt. So yeah go for cx5 (more oomph and better finish inside and it' jap so should be as reliable as all other jap brands.

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - madf

I'e recently bought a 2 ltr auto AWD sportage. It drives ok but is no powerhouse. Comfort is similar to most I should imagine in its class but wish I'd gone for mazda cx5 as AWD system matches the forester. I was going to buy the forester but the chain driven cvt auto gearbox apparently needs changing every 50k and is around 4k to replace the box as they don't replace just the belt. So yeah go for cx5 (more oomph and better finish inside and it' jap so should be as reliable as all other jap brands.

So you advise not to buy a Forester as the chain driven CVT needs a new belt but all Japanese cars are reliable.

:-)

New Kia Sportage 1.7 Crdi - skidpan

So you advise not to buy a Forester as the chain driven CVT needs a new belt but all Japanese cars are reliable.

The OP appears to be saying it needs a new gearbox every 50,000 miles "I was going to buy the forester but the chain driven cvt auto gearbox apparently needs changing every 50k and is around 4k to replace the box as they don't replace just the belt"