ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - tigertankA1

I purchased a ford focus 1.6 tdci which has had a stupid amount of work done to it and now is time to get rid. The problem is the engine management light stays on and was going to purchase a code reader to save expense and dont know which one to buy off ebay as there are lots of different ones. Can anyone suggest which one to buy that will work on this model and will it eliminate the fault so i can sell the car. The car itself drives like new but i aint gonna sell it with this engine light on. thanks anyone who can help.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - phillip b

All eobd code readers will read and reset trouble codes but if there is a problem it will just come straight back on again where abouts in the UK are you?

ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - elekie&a/c doctor

As i have said many times previously,cheapo code readers are only generic tools that very often give incorrect and inadequate info,especially on diesel vehicles.A code reader will not fix the car,it may put the mil light out,but not more.

I completely agree with inadequate data but with regards to incorrect data all eobd code readers should legally give emissions data by eu law but they do not have to give anything else but not everyone has the spare money to buy an expensive machine and a half decent code readers will pay for its self in the long run just make sure you at least get one that can read live data

ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you will find that the car has to provide emissions data by EU law not the scan tool.

And if you have an eobd reader then I can't see why you would not be able to access this obligatory info maybe not live data on the cheap models but at least the function to read and reset po codes

Just to clear this up read below if you buy a new scan tool now even the cheap one it will give po codes emissions related data but any enhanced dealer specific codes will not be read by all scan tools it's worth spending more if you can but if not a cheap one may or may not help you out just because the engine management light is on it doesn't mean it's emissions related

There are two types of OBD II diagnostic trouble codes: generic “P0” codes and enhanced “P1” codes. All vehicles use the same basic definitions for the generic codes, but the enhanced codes are vehicle-specific and may vary from one model year to the next. So it will likely be out of date by the next model year and have to be updated or replaced. What’s more, some types of faults will set a P1 code but not set a P0 code. That’s why you need a tool that can read both types of codes, not just the generic ones.

birmingham

its not an emissions problem as its had a new dpf filter and oil change as well as a new starter motor, new alternator, new battery, the list goes on. On rare occasions the engine management light will go off leading me to think its some minor fault that needs resetting, hence why i was going to try a code reader.

also could you be more specific to which code reader to buy, like a name or make please. Thankyou anyone that could advise.

The code on the dash reads d900 when you do the test with the ignition on and keep reset buton in and go through the menu.

What is your budget for a code reader?

about 20 quid

This is probably the best for the price, £33 well worth the extra £13

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B011KOP8T2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1...1

VS600 VgateScan Features:
1.Works on all 1996 & later OBDII compliant US, European vehicles & Asian vehicles made in US/Europe
2.Easily determines the cause of the "Check Engine Light (MIL)"
3.Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3, & U0) & manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) codes, and pending codes
4.Turns off Check Engine Light (MIL), clears codes & resets monitors.
5.Displays DTC definitions onscreen.
6.Views freeze frame data.
7.Displays monitor & I/M readiness status (emissions).
8.Identifies pending codes.
9.Reads live PCM data stream.
10.Displays live O2 sensor test data.
11.Graphs data - (1996 and newer).
12.Reads, stores & playbacks live sensor data.
13.Bilingual interface & definitions-English/Spanish or other combinations.
14.Performs modules present test.
15.Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CID and CVN).
16.Supports CAN (Controller Area Network) & all other current OBDII protocols.
17.Built-in OBDII DTC lookup library.
18.Large easy-to-read backlit LCD screen.
19.With a CD, Prints data via PC.
Supported Languages: English, Dutch, Deutsch, Espasol Fransais
Package List:
1 x VS600 Scan Tool
1 x OBD2 Cable
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Nylon Carry Case
1 x CD

ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - Gibbo_Wirral

If it were me I'd get a proper diagnostic, get a report on what's faulty and then either be honest with the seller and show them the printout.

Hiding a fault by resetting the fault indicator and hoping the new buyer doesn't see it until its sold is pretty low.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - engine management light - Fiesta-Ranger

The engine management light can be turned off for a cost between £10 and £20, but you are trying to hide a fault with a vehicle while up for sale. Like poor old me at the wrong end of the sale, turns out the seller also turned off the engine management fault light, hiding the fact that The Catalytic Converter was on its way out !!!!!!! £450-00 including MOT was the amount to put the vehicle right. There is a high risk after test driving the vehicle, and if the vehicle hits the 40 mph mark, there will be a kickback pull in power and the engine management light comes back on. Thanks a bunch to the seller !!!!!!!!

Edited by Anthony Jenkinson on 11/11/2016 at 20:08