Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - b80

Hi,

Looking at diving in for a petrol Avensis. Noticed that the 2nd service interval was missed by 6 months, as the owner decided to wait until it hit 20k instead.

From a warranty point of view, will Toyota still cover it, as technically it has missed the 2nd interval??

Car is 4 years old and has been serviced at dealership since.

Thanks.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - brum

Looking at diving in for a petrol Avensis. Noticed that the 2nd service interval was missed by 6 months, as the owner decided to wait until it hit 20k instead.

From a warranty point of view, will Toyota still cover it, as technically it has missed the 2nd interval??

I'm no expert on Toyota, but from a legal standpoint, I would have thought any items that break that could be associated with the missed service will not be covered.

i.e. engine problems due to missed oil change e.g. cam chain, etc no longer covered.

But other unrelated items, e.g. window motor etc would still be covered.

Things like failed ignition coils might be a grey area.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - NARU

When I was buying, some of the toyotas in showrooms were late with their first service. I wasn't able to get a straight answer - all the dealer would commit to was that they would look after me.

I would assume that the warranty was void unless you had something in writing, preferable from toyota UK.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - Auristocrat

Toyota servicing is either 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Leeway is either 1 month or 1,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The vehicle in question hasn't technically missed the second service - it has missed it and by a substantial margin.

The fact it may have been dealer serviced since is a red herring.

The new car warranty is void as the car hasn't been serviced according to the terms and conditions of the new car warranty, and Toyota can refuse to cover any warranty work on the car. Presumably the price reflects the void warranty.

As the car is four years old, and presumably should have been serviced using the time based regime, has it had the four year service? Or is that overdue?

I would continue looking around ........

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - b80

Cheers chaps. I will continue the search!

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - Falkirk Bairn

Why take the risk of buying a car that has a voided warranty - unless it is stupidly cheap & thereby worth the risk.

There are shed loads of Avensis cars for sale - you might have to travel a few miles to get the model/engine /gearbox you want but that is hardly onerous.

Probably be better to get a car with a proper services history and then you will sleep at night.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - craig-pd130

Is it for sale at a Toyota dealer? If so, this could be worth a try: ask if the dealer will put in writing to you that it will honour the remainder of the warranty, even though the 2nd service was outside the specified interval.

If the dealer won't, just carry on looking elsewhere.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - brum

Afaik comments that the warranty is void are probably incorrect. Certain components maybe declined warranty repair, if they are critically reliant on the missed service. But the paint/corrosion warranty is still in place. Basically everything bar the engine parts reliant on engine oil lubrication should still be covered including fuel injectors, sensors etc.

I had this explained clearly to me by the service manager at a vauxhall dealer who stated vauxhalls policy is dictated by EU law. He also explained block exemption rules and the requirements re using third party servicing/repair.

Common sense really.

Toyota Avensis - Still Covered by Manufacturers Warranty? - Auristocrat

I specifically described the new car warranty as being void - not the corrossion or the paint warranty. The paint warranty, being three years on Toyotas, would have expired on a four year old car.