Suzuki - Buying used low mileage vehicle or is it? - carpathianangel

Hi

Ive recently called a dealer to query the mileage on DVLA website. They told me it all looked good it calculated correct and its written on the MOT certificates as KM for the higher readings. I paid a deposit.

Ive been into the dealer and the MOT certificates do have KM written on next to 14,684 in PEN, the dealer thinks as the vehicle wasnt flagged as being clocked that this has been viewed as a mistake and not as a clocked vehicle. He showed me their HPI check and the mileage is clear. This does appear genuine as a mistake at the MOT station who would clock a low mileage vehicle. My question is am I safe to buy it, will it affect insurance in the event of a claim or warranty / breakdown cover purchased. Any help would be appreciated.

Vehicle is 2008 registered

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date January 2016 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 12,076 miles MOT

Test date January 2015 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 11,002 miles MOT

Test date May 2014 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 10,513 miles

Test date March 2013 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 14,684 miles

Test date March 2013 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 14,684 miles Reason(s) for failure
Front Tyre tread depth is below minimum requirements of 1.0mm (4.1.3(ii))

Test date March 2012 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 8,649 miles Advisory notice item(s)
Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.3(ii))
uneven wear to front tyre

Suzuki - Buying used low mileage vehicle or is it? - RobJP

First off, I would not buy a car that was 8 years old but with only 12k miles. It's done 1500 miles a year. Lots of potential problems. Probably as many as you get with a high-mileage car.

It won't affect insurance. You don't even mention it, as it is not a relevant fact. It might affect an insurance payoutamount, but even then only by a few hundred pounds at most.

As to warranties ... well, a warranty on an 8 year old car won't cover much. And (for a lot of warranties) you need to declare the actual mileage when starting up a warranty. Which you can't actually do, as you've got no absolute proof of the mileage.

Suzuki - Buying used low mileage vehicle or is it? - Happy Blue!

Strikes me as being more 'cock up' than conspiracy on this one. The 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 mileages look kosher so the 2013 is odd. Probably the system has converted the real miles into kilometres for whatever reason. The 14,684 km = 9,124 miles. Looks OK doesn't it when viewed with the other mileages around it.

Having agreed to buy a 12 year old car with only 10,500 miles, I would say buy the car on its condition and for the right price. Low mileage does not always mean a bargain, so make sure everything works and have the car fully serviced immediately.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 30/05/2016 at 22:51