Theft Insurance - Alfafan {P}
This is a question about a general principle, I dont have full details as the incident happened 200 miles from here, so I can't look at the policy.

My daughter's car (a J reg Nova) was stolen at the weekend. It's since been found,having crashed into another car. The culprit got away. My daughter's coverage is TPFT only and my questions are: Is she covered for the damage?

The car has been towed to a local garage for inspection by the police and she's concerned that she'll have to pay the towing charges. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Theft Insurance - Mark (RLBS)
Really you do need to read your specific policy conditions, but in principle she is insured against theft. This includes damage done to the car and expenses incurred recovering, storing, and if appropriate, repairing the car.

It is *porbably* subject to an excess, but you\'d have to look at her policy to discover how much.

probably, even!! DD o;)

you go your way, and I\'ll go mine. I\'m porbably correct.
Theft Insurance - DavidHM
Looking at my insurance thread, I decided to see how much the premium would change if I went for third party only, instead of TPF&T. It went down by about £70, so I looked at the likely outcome if my car were stolen.

Basically, it would work as follows:

Value of car £400 - likely payout, plus any recovery charges (it'd be scrapped if it were damaged in any way)

Minus

Loss of no claims - £200 next year, who knows after that
Extra premium to pay - £70
Excess (compulsory) - £100

Net benefit to me - £30! Therefore I'm going to go for TP only, and she should probably consider whether or not to make a claim based on the likely value of the car. Depending on spec and condition, this will be £300 to £900 unless it's heavily modified (and she's told the insurers about the mods).