replacing discs and pads - John
I was just wondering if anyone would recommend a certain brand of replacement discs and pads to directly replace (i.e. not uprated in diameter, etc) OEM componets.

Cheers
Re: replacing discs and pads - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
I have been using "Apec" branded discs and pads very successfully for the past 5-6 years. Pads are excellent quality often with the anti-squeal pads already fitted.
Pads & Discs - David Lacey
In my experience there isn't a lot of difference between cheap discs and OEM discs. We have used both in ther same applications and have achieved comparable service lives.

Cheap brake friction material is another thing though, the cheap ones wear alarmingly quickly and give a fishy smell when hot - not nice! Also they don't seem to come with the anti squeal bits. Cheap linings also tended to be noisy in terms of excessive squealing.

There was a big concern with reference to brake judder caused by Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) when asbestos free friction materials were introduced in the early 90's. We had many instances of discs suffering from excessive DTV. On-car skimming or replacement was the only answer - on car skimming being the preferable option as it machined out any hub run-out.
Our on car lathe was in huge demand back then. We don't seem to see this problem at all these days - the £1500 lathe is just attracting dust in the corner of the workshop.

Anything supplied by Partco/Motquip/Unipart etc will be of decent quality and will be keenly priced.

Rgds
David
Re: Pads & Discs - Guy Lacey
Unipart discs are made by Brembo so they can't be bad.
Re: Pads & Discs - Michael Thomas
I'll echo the Unipart discs and pads remarks. I've got them on my Rover auto which eats pads like no tomorrow. The best in terms of value and slowish wear are the Unipart ones.