Peugeot 406 - Fuel problems 2.0 HDI 110bhp - gazO

Hi

I have a 1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp and i am having fuel problems.

It started a few weeks ago were the car broke down, RAC identified it as being the in tank fuel pump failed.

I have installed a new pump and the car was running great again. However yesterday the car broke down again in similair circumstances.

Lifted the back seat and exposed the top of the pump and it works fine, even removed the pipes to see fuel being pumped out seems to working fine. I then went to turn the car over and for a split second it felt the car was going to fire as if it had managed to get a drip of fuel !!

I then disconected the pipework to the fuel rack under the bonnet and turned the key so the fuel pump kicks in, but no fuel comes out of the pipes ?

Just wondering have i managed to get air into the system ? if so how do you bleed the fuel system ?

or is their a fuel solenoid somewhere between the tank and fuel rack ??

Any help is very much appreciated, Gaz O.

Peugeot 406 - Fuel problems 2.0 HDI 110bhp - elekie&a/c doctor
If fuel is coming out the in tank pump,then there should be fuel at the filter inlet pipe.There is nothing in between.The system will self bleed if the in tank pump is working adequately.
Peugeot 406 - Fuel problems 2.0 HDI 110bhp - Gibbo_Wirral

Check the wiring to the pump. I've seen a 406 like this and there was virtually no current getting to the pump because it had chafed somewhere further up the loom.

Peugeot 406 - Fuel problems 2.0 HDI 110bhp - Peter.N.

The 406 2.0. Hdi was probably the best car Peugeot made in recent years but it is still an Hdi and although a relatively simple one.

The in tank pumps can fail and deposit metal filings into the fuel system which can cause problems, but as already mentioned if the fuel pump is running you should have fuel at the filter, if you haven't it probably isn't, or at least its not pumping anything.