Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - V4 Heaven
Hi all,

Rumour has it that the Toyota Prius eats brake discs and pads in an effort to regenerate the batteries.

I'm looking at maybe a 10 plate Prius or a 12/13 plate Auris.

Does anyone here have any specific knowledge of this on either the Prius or Auris, ie owners old and new or technical experts.

I'd like to try and find a definitive answer before I spend my pennies!

Many thanks.
Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - RT

That's illogical!

Regeneration during braking should be reducing the use of the friction brakes, not increasing them.

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - RobJP

1. Do a search on here. If it's true, then undoubtedly a number of owners will have reported the same.

2. Go the the reviews section. Again, if people have reported this, then it will most likely have been added to the 'what's good / bad' section.

A few reports can be ignored. If a pattern starts to build then it's time to be concerned.

Do also bear in mind that if a car is little-used (I know someone with a 2013 plug-in Prius that's only done 14k miles) then the brake discs will be more likely to get corroded and worn out, simply due to rust forming on the discs and not being 'scrubbed off' by the brakes being used. The rust then goes deeper, and eventually the discs/pads need replacing.

Finally, if it was true, then it would be clobbering the CO2 / 'official' mpg figures, as well as the reported 'real-world' figures in the 'RealMPG' section of this site. Which you can also look up.

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - Big John
Hi all, Rumour has it that the Toyota Prius eats brake discs and pads in an effort to regenerate the batteries.

Er - it's the opposite. You only use the brake pads/discs when the regerative braking can't slow you quickly enough.

Ie it wears discs and pads much less - so much so you don't get the usual black brake dust on your alloy wheels and pads/discs last for years

I've got two friends with Toyota hybrids (one on his second)and they have been bullet proof. Another good indicator that they are great cars is many taxi drivers are now buying them. They are capable of doing starship mileages. The PCV vlave can fail at 100k miles which can cause the engine to burn oil (blows oil past the valve seals) - cheap fix though

Edited by Big John on 26/05/2016 at 15:19

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - bathtub tom

The only reason I can think of them wearing brakes more quickly is the extra weight of the batteries, but then the regenerative braking should compensate for that.

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - gordonbennet

That rumour sounds like the sort of guff some sales bod for another make might come up with

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - mark999
It's quite the opposite we've had new pads and discs due to corrosion on the front disks (pads not worn at all at 14k miles and 3 years old . The Toyota forums reccomend occasionally braking with the gearbox in neutral so the rust on the discs can be cleared off.
Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - RT
It's quite the opposite we've had new pads and discs due to corrosion on the front disks (pads not worn at all at 14k miles and 3 years old . The Toyota forums reccomend occasionally braking with the gearbox in neutral so the rust on the discs can be cleared off.

That begins to make sense

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - gordonbennet

Anybody still go out to deglaze their brakes by a few repeated hard stops from speed? best combined with a swift Italian tune up.

Sounds like these Hybrids are a prime case for the odd hard stop to keep things right.

Toyota Hybrids - Toyota Hybrid - Brake Disc and Pad Wear? - bathtub tom

I like to give mine a hard brake now and then.

The OP states it's only done 14K miles in three years and needed new discs & pads due to corrosion of the discs. I wonder if it's driven gently, with the emphasis on economy? It is a hybrid.