n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - focussed

Due to strike action and blockading of fuel depots and refineries, anybody planning to travel to and within France may have a problem obtaining fuel at the moment and until the dispute is settled it seems.

Many filling stations ran dry over last weekend and Monday and Tuesday.

Don't arrive with an empty tank and expect to fill up with cheap french diesel, there may not be fuel available where you need it-also there may be a limit on how much you will be able to buy 20 - 30 litres is common.

To stop repeat fuel buying stations have disabled the 24 hour pumps as well.

Best advice is to fill before you get on the ferry and top up as you go in France wherever you can find fuel on your journey.

Diesel is the first fuel to run out at fuel stations, about 70% of cars are diesel over here. UL95 seems to be more readily available

The shortages have been worse in the north and north-west but are spreading south.

The unions have also threatened to shut down power stations and power cuts are expected.

There is an interactive map of fuel stations here,

www.ouest-france.fr/economie/transports/penurie-de...3

but not all stations are on it and the accuracy is doubtful IMHO.

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - brum

zut alors.....

Cue music: (lost in france by Bonnie Tyler)

zut alors.....

I've never actually heard a French person say zut alors!

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - craig-pd130

My old satnav had Bonnie Tyler's voice, but it was useless when I was driving abroad. I kept getting lost in France.

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - Big John

Yup, I've experienced this. I was told off at the cheap Cite de Europe petrol station near Calais for putting too much fuel in. Fortunately :-

A) I hadn't understood a written sign (oops)

b) The petrol was already in my tank

I'm now in the Dordogne - doesn't seem a problem down here yet - I've just filled up OK tonight

However if you are leaving Blighty for France I would suggest leaving with a reasonably full tank

Edited by Big John on 25/05/2016 at 23:45

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - Smileyman

Just received a tweet from Kent based media advising of delays on the ferries between Dover & Calais - very worried if this is related to the fuel situation or any sympathy action this might lead to the imposition of "Operation Stack" when the M20 is closed to be used as a HGV park, or worse still the new scheme of using the runway of the former RAF Manston airport as a lorry park, with all the congestion this will cause on the M2, A299 and other local roads in Kent.

The dock workers are striking as well, there are delays to some Brittany Ferries cross channel ferries and ferries to Le Havre have been cancelled today.

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - RT

This strike is another good reasoin for us to Leave the EU - the dispute is about the French government trying to reform it's labour laws to be like the UK - just another demonstration why countries in the EU will never reform sensibly so we're better off out.

Holidaymakers will still be welcomed in Europe even if we leave.

n/a - Petrol/diesel can be hard to find in France. - wrangler_rover
You don't have to holiday in France, buy French cars, French wine or French fruit.
If the weather could be guaranteed, the U.K. Takes some beating.
There are plenty of British made or non French made cars to choose from.
I for one am bored with the French striking and causing misery to all and sundry.
But, at least the French have the courage to stand up and be counted rather than simply taking it.

Due to strike action and blockading of fuel depots and refineries, anybody planning to travel to and within France may have a problem obtaining fuel at the moment and until the dispute is settled it seems.

Many filling stations ran dry over last weekend and Monday and Tuesday.

Don't arrive with an empty tank and expect to fill up with cheap french diesel, there may not be fuel available where you need it-also there may be a limit on how much you will be able to buy 20 - 30 litres is common.

To stop repeat fuel buying stations have disabled the 24 hour pumps as well.

Best advice is to fill before you get on the ferry and top up as you go in France wherever you can find fuel on your journey.

Diesel is the first fuel to run out at fuel stations, about 70% of cars are diesel over here. UL95 seems to be more readily available

The shortages have been worse in the north and north-west but are spreading south.

The unions have also threatened to shut down power stations and power cuts are expected.

There is an interactive map of fuel stations here,

www.ouest-france.fr/economie/transports/penurie-de...3

but not all stations are on it and the accuracy is doubtful IMHO.

The situation has eased considerably, diesel and petrol are more widely available, the authorities have cleared the blockades at the fuel depots.

But, the 24 hour pumps are still disabled, so fuel is only available during shop hours except on autoroutes, you won't get any fuel on a Sunday out in the rural areas, and the ban on filling cans with diesel remains.