Used automatic car advice - peterboet

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me with some advice.

I am looking to buy a comfortable automatic car for under £2000 pref under 90k miles with max tax £180/year.

I plan to drive a long distance commute by the end of the year as I am moving out of London and will drive in for work.

I also need something that I can sit in, I have an arthritic condition where maintaining my posture is vital. I recently suffered from a lot of nerve pain and found automatics to be a viable alternative when I rented them abroad on holiday. As my left leg gets a lot of pain from using the clutch I am unable to drive my current Toyota Corolla 1.3 SE (2001) for more than 15mins without it affecting me for the whole day. I have tried cushions etc.. but it doesn't help.

I have also found that seats, where you can adjust the tilt of the cushion you sit on, are the most comfortable however I have only found this on newer cars and I do not have that amount of money to put down at the moment.

I was advised to only stick with Japanese, BMW, maybe ford focus and Volkswagen auto boxes.

If anyone here could help me out with anything more info that would be a great help. Thanks in advance
Used automatic car advice - Avant

The automatics to avoid when buying used are the ones that aren't proper automatics, such as the VW Group DSG and the Powwershift fitted to some Fords.

As seat comfort is important, this isn't a Japanese strong point, so maybe look at a Volvo S40, V50 or S60. Volvos have for a long time had some of the best seats in the business, and there should be some in your price range.

Thanks, unfortunately all those Volvos fall above the £180 tax bracket, I only pay 145 now so going up to 180 is Max. On another note do you mean semi auto boxes are the ones to avoid and so Volvo are reliable.

Used automatic car advice - galileo

Thanks, unfortunately all those Volvos fall above the £180 tax bracket, I only pay 145 now so going up to 180 is Max. On another note do you mean semi auto boxes are the ones to avoid and so Volvo are reliable.

The difference in road tax is £35 per year: every time you fill up it will cost more than £35 so on 20,000 miles a year the road tax is hardly relevant.

The difference in road tax is £35 per year: every time you fill up it will cost more than £35 so on 20,000 miles a year the road tax is hardly relevant.

Sorry I just saw this now not sure how I missed this, your right , I got an estimated MPG and I just figured out that if I improve this(I think I can with diesel) I can add the difference to the Car Tax. I been looking at this so long could not see the forest for the trees :). Thanks, I kept forgetting that my annual mileage is going to go up a lot.

Edited by peterboet on 24/05/2016 at 17:21

I think the ones you were thinking of are the diesels which are the newer and out of the price bracket the seats do look comfortable though.

Used automatic car advice - RobJP

So you want comfortable, automatic, relatively cheap car tax (so good fuel economy), reliable, and under £2000 to buy.

Might I suggest you're being a bit optimistic to expect all of those ?

Draw a triangle. At one corner label 'cheap'. At another label 'reliable'. At the third label 'economical'.

Realistically, you can have any 2 of those, at the expense of the third.

So buy a cheap, reliable car. But expect to fill it up a lot.

Or buy a cheap, economical car. But it's going to be on it's last legs, and break down frequently.

Or buy a reliable, economical car. But it won't be cheap.

While that lot is not set in stone, and you MAY get lucky, it's a pretty reasonable guide to reality.

Used automatic car advice - gordonbennet

Never heard the eternal triangle in quite those term before, but that, Rob, is brilliant.

Used automatic car advice - John Boy

+1

Used automatic car advice - RobJP

I first heard it 25 (or more!) years ago, from an uncle who was a building contractor. In construction, the corners are labelled 'quick', 'cheap' and 'good'.

Same principle applies. You can have any two, but only at the expense of the third.

So you can have your extension built quick and cheap. But materials, tradesmen and finishing will be dire.

Or it can be quick and good. But you're going to pay a premium for top-notch people, and high quality materials.

Or it can be cheap and good. But it'll take forever.

Used automatic car advice - John F

I heard it applied to diesel engines, as in quiet, economical, powerful.

Yeah I have been torturing myself over that triangle (I had not realised it in those terms yet) hence why I posted on here, basically I am looking for more Auto options, as while looking I have found excellent manual cars for that price that tick all 3 but I know nothing about old automatics and whats good whats bad....what do people think is bad but actually good. The ones I listed are the only ones. No one had for instance reccomended Rover till I posted on here. I suppose I could extend the budget or wait for the bargain , my mechanic has said he will use his trade licence to bid if I want ( he knows nothing about autos though - how to service but not history etc..)

Once I have finally narrowed it down then I will make peace with myself about price etc.. so for now I suppose I should ask what other names or particular models could be added to the list than all japanese, bmw , ford focus and now rover. I could even up the mileage if I thought it could last me 2 years. I am currently saving up to get on the property ladder and already this will eat into my meagre deposit but I am going to need it as the move and the commute is a go. I could also probably raise the tax if I saved on mpg in the long run. Sigh so much juggling on such a tight budget. Really what I need is the ToyotoaQuest 1.6 saloon but its not sold in this country :(

How about a reccomended car next to each of your triangle options lol :)

Edited by peterboet on 23/05/2016 at 20:16

Ok I think I am looking for a Cheap, Reliable auto diesel. I think it might make the filling up less painful

Used automatic car advice - slkfanboy

While VW DSG up until recently had a string of major issues. Most Ford powershift work fine with a hickup in 2012 when early all dry plate powershifts often had oil leak issues, but others years are ok. Ford retrospectively gave the gearbox a 5 year warranty. VW on the other hand gave extended warranties in other countries but not the UK.

The key point you need to decide is do you like this type of auto that regardless of make is less smooth and need some getting use too. It very much all or nothing in terms of the clutch.

Used automatic car advice - Paulsxf

At that budget and your condition I would look for a Zafira or C-Max auto. The higher up position should make getting in and out easier. Just keep a fire extinguisher nearby at all times (for the Zafira)!

For the C-Max only look at the 2.0 engines. Avoid 1.6 CVTs at all costs.

wow a quick google on zafira fire and OMFG, I think I will pass, lol Apparently people are only going to recieve letters in August of this year stating the required work on the car. Scary stuff.

Used automatic car advice - Paulsxf

But on the positive side it makes them cheap.

Yeah if you literally have cash to burn :)

Used automatic car advice - Cyd

Have a look at Saab 9-3's. The seats are superb in most versions. I have a Aero petrol which has leather sports seats and are superb. They don't have tilt adjust but do have height adjust which might be a viable alternative.

You don't specify if you're looking for diesel or petrol, but there was a diesel Aero and available in automatic (which is at least 5 speed and maybe six speed).

It sounds like you may need something reasonably 'supportive', so this may push you toward the slightly sportier variants. These tend to have more sculpting on the cushion and better bolsters. A left foot rest would strike me as a good idea too (the Saabs have one, but a lot don't).

I would venture to suggest you concentrate on finding a model you can truly get comfortable in. Everything else is secondary.

Petrol or Diesel are fine. Thanks for the Saab tip. Your right at the end I have to get something comfortable that is what counts the most. Thats why I am looking for more car makes to add to the list :). Thanks for the help.

Heres a question. Should I raise my mileage , it may sound stupid but the only reason I had my mileage set at 90k was thats about where my Corrolla got to. How much is to much mileage for a used car? I mean the limit where you think thats it because some cars you see still getting sold with 150k mileage?

Used automatic car advice - HandCart

Maybe have a look for a Kia Carens 2.0 diesel auto.

Cheap relative to many cars, diesel for fuel economy, possibly/probably no DPF on a Kia of circa 2007 vintage, proper torque-converter auto box, AND it's only £180 a year tax.

I don't know how good the seats are, but it's 'high-up', so may suit you better.

But try to gain good proof of the mileage being valid - in case it's a clocked taxi.

Alternatively, as mentioned, Volvo S60's are good value, very comfortable, and solidly built. But the tax is well over £200 a year. But if you're doing "a long commute", the extra £2 a week on tax will pale alongside your fuel bill anyway.

Which reminds me: What's that idea floating around about car tax rates all being altered in 2017 anyway (or was that only on new cars?) ?

Used automatic car advice - Cyd

My Saab has just turned 104,000 miles at 9 years old. It's still a superb car and has been utterly perfect. I do about 22kpa and fully expect at least another 5 or 6 years out of it. Now they're gone, I'm struggling to see what I might replace it with that will give the same levels of performance yet solidity combined with decent refinement and comfort. Probably a Octavia VRS - I've been in a couple and they are good, but not a patch on the Saab.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage in absolute terms. Most well cared for cars could circumnavigate the globe a dozen times easily. Condition and service history are much more important than numbers on the odo.

Used automatic car advice - corax

My Saab has just turned 104,000 miles at 9 years old. It's still a superb car and has been utterly perfect. I do about 22kpa and fully expect at least another 5 or 6 years out of it. Now they're gone, I'm struggling to see what I might replace it with that will give the same levels of performance yet solidity combined with decent refinement and comfort. Probably a Octavia VRS - I've been in a couple and they are good, but not a patch on the Saab.

What do you find lacking on the Octavia VRS compared to the Saab?

So I have taken everyone's comments onboard and have decided to go with BMW they are really comfortable so far have tried the 5 and 3 series bothover 10 years old, I can raise the tax for that, the 5 series was a2.5l so I might look at the 3 series but there seem to be a lot of them. Anyone reccomend an old 3 series? Should I make a new BMW thread?

Used automatic car advice - phil_z70

If it's the 3-series E46 range their are loads still on the roads, still in good condition some with starship mileage on them, I don't think you will find a newer E90 for that money

Have a read through the car by car good/bad section so you have an idea what to look for, they can be a bit rusty

My Mum had a E46 320i SE for years I know she regretted selling it, years later when she had a E92 320D m-sport coupe I still think she prefered the old E46

Used automatic car advice - madf

My son bought a 316i when 9 years old and 57k miles. Has had it 5 years.

New brakes has been his major expense: disks all round £1k...

Used automatic car advice - TheBroker

Hi, there isnt really any such thing as a cheap reliable auto under £2,000.

The reason i say this is that all auto boxes have a lifespan on no more than 60,000 miles (This is an industry insider quote) Which is why they are advertised as sealed for life units (e.g. not on the service schedule) as the life is of the 'box not the car.

Anything over 60,000 is a bonus for a modern automatic gearbox. Your lowest chance of failure woud probably be a Mercedes or perhaps Volvo as someone else said, but at that age the road tax would be prohibitive for you.

Even with the Volvo and Mercedes I have experienced failed gearboxes and they are not cheap to fix (Min £2000).

If you can get a manual you will be much 'safer'

Back wise, I agree with the Volvo statement, they are the most comfortable car I have driven. Japanese car seats are saggy and horrible in my opinion. Audis and VW's are firm which can be good for certain back issues.

Good luck

The reason i say this is that all auto boxes have a lifespan on no more than 60,000 miles (This is an industry insider quote).......

I think this is nonsense. Indeed, it could be argued that an autobox, especially an older torque converter one, is likely to be more reliable than a clutch/manual box as it is more idiot proof. And they also protect the engine from mechanically unsympathetic drivers.

Try searching a well known site for a Ford Focus 1.6 auto, 80,000 or less (ours has done 114,000) and no more than £2000. There are dozens to choose from. The 1.6 engine will not have stressed the box as much as the bigger engines. If the seat is not to your liking, use cushions until it is. Can't be too choosy with such a low budget!

Used automatic car advice - Mike H

The reason i say this is that all auto boxes have a lifespan on no more than 60,000 miles (This is an industry insider quote) Which is why they are advertised as sealed for life units (e.g. not on the service schedule) as the life is of the 'box not the car.

Anything over 60,000 is a bonus for a modern automatic gearbox. Your lowest chance of failure woud probably be a Mercedes or perhaps Volvo as someone else said, but at that age the road tax would be prohibitive for you.

My Saab 9-5 Aero auto, with 420Nm of torque for most of its life, was running fault-free with just two oil changes after 230,000 miles.....

With all due respect, your comment re the lifespan of a modern auto being 60,000 is a load of t*** where TC autos are concerned IMHO. TC autos are less troublesome than manual boxes as a general rule, given proper maintenance such as regular fluid changes - they are not all "sealed for life". They have the added benefit of ensuring that the rest of the drive train components are not abused. If you are addressing your comments to automated manuals such as VW's DSG and Ford Powershift, it may be true, but I would suggest there is an element of doubt there.

Used automatic car advice - madf

"<i>Anything over 60,000 is a bonus for a modern automatic gearbox.</i>

I suggest you ignore any advice from anyone who makes such sweeping - and incorrect - statements.

Used automatic car advice - expat

I am at 180,000km on my auto box and it is fine. I put on a transmission cooler so as to avoid the dreaded oil and water problems you can get if the cooler is part of the radiator. My auto is supposed to be sealed for life but I get the oil changed every few years.

As for seats - I believe that some companies like Recaro make after market seats that can be swapped into a car. Probably expensive though but you might get something like that from a wrecker.

The automatic mechanic I spoke to said that he has more Mercedes auto's in his workshop than the Merc Dealership has and warmed me to stay away from them.

Used automatic car advice - Happy Blue!

Very odd comment given than most Mercedes are automatic and are very reliable. When was the last time you saw a Mercedes stranded at the side of the road?

Very odd comment given than most Mercedes are automatic and are very reliable. When was the last time you saw a Mercedes stranded at the side of the road?

I think they can usually limp home when the coolant water mixes with the gearbox oil.

Used automatic car advice - Metropolis.

I disagree with the pessimistic replies you have recieved. I'd suggest either you get a Volvo S40 auto, very cheap on auto trader. this one for example: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160525430...6

Saab have also been suggested, good cars and also typically have good seats being swedish but a bit too GM for my liking.

Alternatively, go for a Toyota and adapt the seats with some sort of orthapedic seat cover.