Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - Scott H

The 2007-2013 Auris 1.6 petrol has a dual mass flywheel according to the Good & Bad section of the review on this site.

Any ideas as to Toyota's reasoning for fitting one alongside such a modest petrol engine?

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - steelghost

Even a small petrol engined car can benefit in NVH terms from the fitting of a DMF, especially at relatively low RPM load conditions.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - jc2

The first cars to use DMF were petrol.

Even a small petrol engined car can benefit in NVH terms from the fitting of a DMF, especially at relatively low RPM load conditions.

Interesting.

Do you know of any other smaller (< 2 litre) petrol-engined cars that come with a DMF? Currently I'm looking at used compact cars and from everything I've read, DMFs are something I'd prefer to avoid.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - RobJP

I wouldn't be that worried about avoiding DMFs in smaller engined petrol cars.

Quite simply, they'll help with smoothness of moving off, but the engine doesn't produce the huge torque levels that can eventually tear apart DMFs in diesels.

I wouldn't be that worried about avoiding DMFs in smaller engined petrol cars.

Quite simply, they'll help with smoothness of moving off, but the engine doesn't produce the huge torque levels that can eventually tear apart DMFs in diesels.

That's good to know, thanks.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - Judith Westgate

Although not a toyota I have just spent a lot of money replacing the dmf and clutch and gearbox on a 900cc fiat panda, petrol. So dmfs are a problem in petrol cars. In the garage, a dealership, next to my car is another fiat panda with the same problem.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - RobJP

Although not a toyota I have just spent a lot of money replacing the dmf and clutch and gearbox on a 900cc fiat panda, petrol. So dmfs are a problem in petrol cars. In the garage, a dealership, next to my car is another fiat panda with the same problem.

DMF clutch AND gearbox, all at the same time ?

Fault somewhere or lack of previous mechanical sympathy, I'd suspect. The DMF is there to protect the gearbox from the engine torque, almost like a shock absorber for it.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - galileo

It is generally believed in the trade that Toyota engineering and durability is significantly better than Fiat durability.

Next time you pass a taxi rank (not black cabs) count the relative numbers of Toyotas and Fiats.

Toyota Auris - Auris 1.6 petrol DMF - Cyd

Do you know of any other smaller (< 2 litre) petrol-engined cars that come with a DMF? ..... DMFs are something I'd prefer to avoid.

Although not "smaller" in the terms you asked, my Saab 9 3 Aero, 2.0T HOT petrol engine has a DMF. Standard output 210hp/300Nm. Mine is tuned for mid range performance and is up to 280hp/380Nm. I bought it nearly 6 years ago and tuned it straight away. It also had a new clutch under warranty just after I got it (it used to live in Scotland). I've done 65k mostly "spirited" miles and the LUK clutch is in fine fettle as is the original DMF (now 104k old).

I suspect the quality of DMFs varies considerably from make to make (probably depends on who is the supplier).