Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - strange but true
I think I've found a 2 year old prestige car to lease with all the reversing cameras etc I want.
It seems a good deal. £500 deposit
Does anyone have any recommendations for the above ( ie companies or any tips)

Edited by strange but true on 12/05/2016 at 22:36

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - Bromptonaut

I think the jury might need some clues about make/model, lease term and monthly repayments before a verdict.

I was looking for a company recommendation but here goes
Bmw series 1 , automatic, diesel , with reversing camera and parking sensors, 5 doors
4 years max £300 , max 10,000 miles per year
Max 2 years old ish
I've got a good credit history
I don't want to put down more than £500

Edited by strange but true on 12/05/2016 at 22:57

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - RobJP

Do you mean £300 per month for a 4 year deal, with £500 deposit, 10k miles pa limit ?

Yes

OK, that seems expensive for a used 1 series diesel

Do bear in mind that most manufacturers give large deposit contributions on new cars, and nothing at all on used cars. Add in the fact that interest rates are often lower on new cars than used, and leasing something brand new could be a lot cheaper than something used.

For example : A new (and bonkers) M135i 5 door hatchback on a 4 year deal, 8k miles per year. £2,000 down, £300 per month. That offer is live, right now, on a dealers website.

If you're doing low mileage, then diesel isn't cheap. The car is more expensive, and (especially if lots of urban driving) you risk DPF problems which can cost a fair bit.

Here's another example of a new car :

118i SE 5 door hatch. 4 year deal, 8k miles a year. £499 down, £269 per month.

In addition, if you are a good negotiator, interest rates can be lower, dealer contributions higher, etc.

Ok thanks.
It's a series 1 I'm looking for.
I do want reversing cameras and parking sensors.
I don't really know where to look
Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - Falkirk Bairn

2 year old!, £300 for 10K a year

Either the car buy price is wildly over priced, the interest rate is way way too high or the residual value is too low..............I would suggest that it is all 3.

Neighbour leased a Brand new, facelifted 320D, Xdrive, M-sport, Auto + special paint for £400 down & £400 per month just a few months back. I know it is £100 / month more than your budget BUT strip off 3 series premium over 1 series, Xdrive, M-Sport goodies and the price comes down - sometimes there are models that they need to shift & the price falls. The list of the above car was ~£35K - the finance figures were based on <£30K as there were BMW price cuts, BMW finance cuts to Interest rate & the dealer took something off as well.

The 3 series was advertised nationally as approx £1,000+ down & £438 per month but he played off 3 BMW local dealers against each other & pricing via a Broker. Nearly £40 per mth for 48 months = ~£2,500 less by negotiating hard.

1 series diesel Brand new £308 down, £308 per month - maybe not your spec but looking at Broker quotes I am sure you could get a new car near the £300 mark with negotiation.

www.petervardy.co.uk/bmw/new-car-offers/118d-sport/

I honestly haven't got another £ 100 a month to play with.
Where do I look for things like this. I'm looking for a series1 though. I think
Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - Falkirk Bairn

1 series diesel Brand new £308 down, £308 per month - maybe not your spec but looking at Broker quotes I am sure you could get a new car near the £300 mark with negotiation.

CLICK Here

www.petervardy.co.uk/bmw/new-car-offers/118d-sport/

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - csgmart
I honestly haven't got another £ 100 a month to play with. Where do I look for things like this. I'm looking for a series1 though. I think

Hmm, well, I would personally suggest you can't afford a car in this price bracket. I know times are tough for many but what happens when you need new tyres etc? If you can't afford an extra £100 a month it suggests you are getting too close to exceeding your income.

I know from personal / bitter experience of what happens when you regularly spend more than you are earning - I sincerely hope you won't get into the same trap I was in for many years (I'm glad to say those days are well past me but it was hard work and not pleasant at all).

Sorry let me rephrase that-I don't want to pay another £100 a month, not I can't afford to.
I've always driven prestige cars.
Sorry let me rephrase that-I don't want to pay another £100 a month, not I can't afford to. I've always driven prestige cars.

Thanks for the clarification - puts another perspective on it.

Have you tried the car broker sites (as other have suggested). Carwow is pretty good (but BMW dealers are not allowed to quote through this service). Other brokers out there who might be able to help if you have decided on a BMW..

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - gordonbennet

Prepare for flashing lights but Ling takes some beating

www.lingscars.com/BMW/1-series-leasing/cheap-contr...s

Another possibility is coast 2 coast car sales (I'm not going to put what may be a competitor's web address on here, so ggogle them).

They do straight sales, but also do finance - all with very heavy discounts.

Alternatively, a BMW owner's forum : f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/

Though this is a 3 series forum. Register, go to the UK section, and post to get details for 'TRL', name is actually Tony Lewis, I believe. He's new car sales for a BMW dealer, and seems to come up with astounding discounts for people. Not just for 3 series, but for everything in the range.

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - galileo

Am I the only one who is concerned by the OP's plans? He wants a 'prestige' car with reversing camera and sensors, but can only scrape up £500 deposit and £300 a month will stretch his budget. What if his employer goes bust, happens too often now (BHS, Tata)?

It seems a common approach now among younger people, some students in particular spend their loan money like water, maybe the prospect of repayment seems a long way off.

For many years I ran old used cars, repaired them myself because it was cheaper to buy haynes manual and spanners. Yes, I would have liked nearly new prestige cars with all the bells and whistles but was realistic about the cost, avoided getting locked into HP or Credit deals, paid cash out of savings or a small bank loan, until better jobs and paid off mortgages meant I could buy new.

Or am I just a dinosaur?

Lol.
I'm selling my car and the money from that will sit in a savings account.

I'm a grandmother , not in need of a hand out, though I appreciate your concern that I might buy something I can't afford.
That's just the teeniest bit patronising?
Do you usually guess at peoples finances?
I've only just started looking and don't intend to pay any more than I need to.
My budget is simply what I decide to pay , I'm not in any financial need at all .

Edited by strange but true on 13/05/2016 at 16:45

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - retgwte

Lingscars dot com

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - galileo
Lol. I'm selling my car and the money from that will sit in a savings account. I'm a grandmother , not in need of a hand out, though I appreciate your concern that I might buy something I can't afford. That's just the teeniest bit patronising? Do you usually guess at peoples finances? I've only just started looking and don't intend to pay any more than I need to. My budget is simply what I decide to pay , I'm not in any financial need at all .

My comments were not specific to your good self - apologies if I gave offence - the point was that a 'prestige' car is usually more expensive to run and not necessarily more reliable or comfortable than a 'lesser' brand, which could be better value for the budget you have decided on.

I hear many cases of young folks signing up for PCP deals because they must have the latest trendy wheels, maxing out credit cards and then visiting the bank of Mum and Dad when things are tight. (We brought five kids up, by the way, some are sensible with money, others failed to follow our advice, so been there and done that).

Can I assume you are registered as 'tigereyes' on F30 forums now ?

In which case, I see someone has provided you with TRL's email address on the thread you started.

Good luck !

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - catsdad
Hi "strange but true"

Please stick with us. I dare say most of us make assumptions about our fellow posters. We're bound to be wildly out sometimes.

For example, few will have guessed but I am a hugely successful thirty-something multi-millionaire with the looks of a young Sean Connery and the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton.

Honest ;-)

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - John F

Astonishing thread, this. Effectively approx £4000 per annum depreciation for wheels covering 'max 10,000m a year'. ?????!!!

Clearly PCP drivers inhabit a different financial universe. After 4yrs they are happy to have spent around £16,000......and then have NO CAR! Since 1980 I have spent a total of £28,000 on my 4 cars, and still have two of them, and will hopefully still have them after another 4+ years.

I suppose it's OK for ultra-high milers on expenses.....

Yes, but some of us think it's mad that others only do an oil change a couple of times a decade.

Quite simply, a lot of people like having a relatively modern car. They have far more safety gear, they have crumple zones that actually protect the driver and passengers, they are structurally a lot more durable than cars built in the 1980s.

For that, people are willing to pay, and some have the disposable income to do so. Others may get into debt doing so. But that is their choice.

I'm sure they look at you with your old cars, and think to themselves "I wouldn't want to be in an accident in that".

I'm sure they look at you with your old cars, and think to themselves "I wouldn't want to be in an accident in that".

Really? In a RTC I would rather be in my old large Audi A8 than a new tiny BMW series1. Still, as you say, each to their own.

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - Cyd

Really? In a RTC I would rather be in my old large Audi A8 than a new tiny BMW series1. Still, as you say, each to their own.

Just goes to prove what I've always known. You know everything and nowt!

I an a professional Automotive Engineer with over 30 years experience working for a well known OEM in the Midlands.

in the past I've been involved with safety related design. I've been at MIRA and watched vehicles smash into 'the block'. I've been at a supplier in Detroit watching airbag development testing. I've seen the data from more crash testing than you've had hot dinners. The vehicle safety team are only a few yards from where I sit at work now.

If I had to have a crash in a car, I'd take that BMW over your old A8 any day of the week.

Oh, and I know full well what it's like to be injured. I had a nasty mountain biking accident last September and as a result of my injuries I still cannot drive. Luckily (so say some, not luck at all - I simply know better) I was wearing an appropriate helmet which saved my life (along with the actions of my 15yr old son).

Some motoring program proved this by crashing a newish Scenic against a Disco series 1. Look for it on Youtube.

Just goes to prove what I've always known. You know everything and nowt!

I an a professional Automotive Engineer .....

....If I had to have a crash in a car, I'd take that BMW over your old A8 any day of the week.

I find it hard to believe that such a post would come from a genuine professional Automotive Engineer. Do you actually have a degree? (see below)

Qualifications

You usually need to have a degree to become an automotive engineer and relevant subjects include:

• automotive engineering;
  • electrical/electronic engineering;
  • mechanical engineering;
  • production and manufacturing engineering.

PS........

The 1 Series has a very strong and stable passenger safety cage but it did not achieve the highest 5 star rating which is disappointing for a new car model.

Source, AA. Live and learn, Cyd. And have a look how good the Audi A8 aluminium spaceframe is in crash tests.

While we're at it John F, what's you professional basis, or is it just your 'opinion' that you'd rather be in a crash in an old A8, rather than a new 1 series ?

John F, what's you professional basis, or is it just your 'opinion' that you'd rather be in a crash in an old A8, rather than a new 1 series ?

My 'professional basis' is 13 'O's and three science 'A' levels by the age of 17 followed by a Russell group uni education and lifelong interest in anything with engines and gearwheels, especially cars, which I have been maintaining and repairing for nearly 50yrs.

I am not a MechEng (there are far too many in the UK who call themselves 'engineers' when they are nothing of the sort) and have nothing to do with the motor industry, so my opinions have no conflict of interest.

Well, you're only on this planet once (uness you believe in reincarnation). If you have the money (and many people evidently do) why shouldn't they have a nice new car every 3 or 4 years? I agree that financially it doesn't make sense in many respects but not everything is measured by how much it costs.

Can't take your money with you when the time eventually comes.....

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - Avant

You're so right. Finance is of course an essential consideration in that you can't (or shouldn't) buy a more expensive car than you can afford to buy and run.

But it isn't the only consideration: there's the size and type of car you need, the potential for driving enjoyment, reliability, comfort, etc., etc.

Some of us are lucky enough to have new cars: some choose a more upmarket car and buy it secondhand; some (such as GB and John F) for good reasons like older cars and cherish them; some go the bangernomics route either through necessity or by choice. Everyone is equal on the forum, and I hope we all respect each other's situation.

Leasing a not quite new car and pcp - TheBroker
Hi, I would be happy to help if I can.

Looking at your op and follow ups it doesn't seem like a good deal.

A new car would be likely the same or cheaper.

Pm me if you want to have a chat, no pressure from this end, it's not what I'm about

Good luck either way