Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - bazergan

Will soon need a "new" vehicle ; am I asking the impossible with the following ?

Max 8000 miles per year so not too worried about mpg ,petrol , chain cam , NON flyby wire accelerator , ....and high seating position .Wife would prefer a bit of comfort . . . just would like to know what to look after in second hand market .

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - elekie&a/c doctor

Austin Maxi??

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - daveyjp

Good look finding a non ECU throttle on any modern vehicle.

Mercedes A class - W169 - meets your other requirements.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - gordonbennet

I have a feeling early V70 Volvos still used a simple non troublesome throttle, but don't quote me.

To be fair most petrol Japanese cars give little in the way of trouble, so long as you avoid any automated manual boxes which even Toyota couldn't get to work properly for long.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - oldroverboy.

Read my kia review, plenty around used manual,chain cam, long warranty, bags of room and comfy for me 6'2" or swmbo 5'5 and a bit.

from about £5000 still with warranty, but get service history...

sensible wheel /tyre sizes.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - elekie&a/c doctor

I think one of the last of the chain cam and throttle cable equipped cars would be the Mk3 Mondeo from around 2006 with the 2.0 petrol engine.Very durable and can be bought for peanuts now at 10 years old.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - focussed

Austin Maxi??

Possibly-but the gearbox was like a tin of quality street.

"You don't know which one you'll get"

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - brum

Austin Maxi??

It wasnt so much the gearbox but the rats nest of gearbox linkage cables designed by a 10 year old and made from old recycled piano wire that spoilt what could have been a good car. "Good" being a relative term for the 70s where tin worm ruled and cars rarely lasted more than six years.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - focussed

Austin Maxi??

It wasnt so much the gearbox but the rats nest of gearbox linkage cables designed by a 10 year old and made from old recycled piano wire that spoilt what could have been a good car. "Good" being a relative term for the 70s where tin worm ruled and cars rarely lasted more than six years.

Yes the concept of the thing was good - hatchback/estate type of thing, the one I used to frequently borrow was the works hack, used and abused by all and sundry, it could be rowed along fairly quickly as I recall.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - 72 dudes

Austin Maxi??

Yes the concept of the thing was good - hatchback/estate type of thing, the one I used to frequently borrow was the works hack, used and abused by all and sundry, it could be rowed along fairly quickly as I recall.

Off topic, but not a patch on the Renault 16! I had one of each back to back in the early/mid 80's. The R16 rode, steered and drove far better. It's worst feature was its pathetic heater which gave out about as much heat as four candles.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - Bilboman

The Maxi's rats nest of gearbox linkage cables was soon replaced by a conventional linkage (almost as bad - I passed my driving test first time despite rather than thanks to that awful thing!) Toyota finessed cable linkages not long afterwards, and my father-in-law's cable-geared Safrane (now 18 years old) still slots into gear smoothly.
Not only could the Maxi be rowed along fairly quickly , it actually popped up as the getaway car of choice for a couple of assassins in one episode of The Professionals back in the day! ("Quick, the Kalashnikoff, pass it to me it NOW! What do you mean it's under the rigid one-piece parcel shelf and you can't fold the back seat forwards because it's fouled by the rear door armrests? I told you we should have hotwired that Renault 16 at Watford Gap, idiot!")

Edited by Bilboman on 05/05/2016 at 21:04

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - bazergan

Thank you for all suggestions re non fly by wire , chain cam etc have found solution :)

Comfort ....... Deep high cushions and found a 51 plate 11,000 mile full history 1.8 Primera " suits me " but I,m not fussy ......... the complaint on fly by wire accelerator........... was that at 115000 miles on a VW caddy diesel a £350 bill for a Bosch sensor was not in the brochure but seems it happens according to Google .............. Happy trails

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - Ian_SW

What's wrong with fly-by-wire accelerators?

Of all the 'innovations' in modern cars I'd put that and CANbus lighting controls as the two genuinely better things which have been added to cars in the last 15 years.

I wasn't aware of there being a general reliability problem with these, but there certainly was with the old throttle cable.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - corax

What's wrong with fly-by-wire accelerators?

Of all the 'innovations' in modern cars I'd put that and CANbus lighting controls as the two genuinely better things which have been added to cars in the last 15 years.

I test drove an Audi 100 considering a change from my 90 2.2 and I couldn't believe it was the same engine. Beautiful throttle response from my K Jetronic equipped car, the KE Jetronic in the 100 had a horrible pause and slight jerkiness before it decided to do anything. I kept my 90.

Granted they got better.

Everything considered - Suggestion on following please - Avant

I agree - I don't think I'd like to go back to the old-fashioned linkage. the only time in 50 years of driving that I had a problem was with the Espace (in which I think I'd done about 90,000 miles, so forgivable) when a clip of some sort in the accelerator linkage broke (c. 25 years ago so memory is a little hazy).

I'm no mechanic but I was quite proud of myself for managing to tie it together with the cord from some swimming trunks that I had in the car. It got me home and to the garage.