2005 VW Passat 2.0 TDI - 2005 VW Passat emissions garage - pspace

Hello, I bought a 05 MY VW Passat 2.0 TDI yesterday. On my way back home after refuelling at a motor way service, Emissions Garage Warning light came up on the cluster. The car was fine until till I joined the motorway from the service exit. Is this anything to do with the Shell diesel I put in the tank - though I filled in only for around £10. Please advise on how I can get this rectified. Appreciate teh help and thanks in advance.

Edited by pspace on 02/05/2016 at 11:04

2005 VW Passat 2.0 TDI - 2005 VW Passat emissions garage - elekie&a/c doctor

You will need to get a diagnostic check done to establish what faults are logged.

2005 VW Passat 2.0 TDI - 2005 VW Passat emissions garage - Railroad.
This is an 11 year old car. Problems of this kind are to be expected. Browse the VAG forums for someone near you who had VCDS. Many people including me do, and most will be willing to help.
2005 VW Passat 2.0 TDI - 2005 VW Passat emissions garage - Big John

Presume you did actually put diesel in?

Did you buy from a dealer? If so take it back - you have rights

At this age I think it's the 2.0 pd engine - the turbo variable vanes can seize up throwing up an error when you call for a lot more power (overboost).

The pd installation can also suffer from leaks from the vacuum system which can also throw up errors (EGR & Variable Vanes/overboost). Does the engine shudder when turned off?

As previously mentioned diagnostic test required

Edited by Big John on 02/05/2016 at 22:58

2005 VW Passat 2.0 TDI - 2005 VW Passat emissions garage - pspace

Thanks for the response! Got this checked via a diagnostic tool from a friend and EGR valve blocked was the code seen. He advised me to get the valve replaced. The engine does not shudder when turned off but it shudders a bit for about 2-3 seconds when started and is fine after that. Thanks in advance.

Edited by pspace on 06/05/2016 at 18:58