Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - focussed

This advert appeared on our local expat forum.

Overvalued or cheap?

2006 Silver Renault Megane Scenic Break - Spares and repairs

CT until March 2017, two bar, electric windows, remote central locking, CD, AC etc

Gasket went this week - still drives

Currently has half a tank of diesel

Will swap for a bottle of decent wine and a bar of chocolate.

- See more at: www.angloinfo.com/brittany/classifieds/ad/brittany...f

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - gordonbennet

Renaults of those years, especially Laguna 2 and 3 are silly cheap.

Lag 3 i have a sneaky feeling could be a bit of a bargain for those brave enough, you can pick them up for about 1/2rd of what a Mondeo of the same year would cost and probably 1/4 what an Aldi might cost, the living nightmare that was Lag2 ruined whatever reputation they had left.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/04/2016 at 18:45

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - oldroverboy.

Now if they give me a bottle of wine....

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - daveyK_UK
Laguna 3 avoid the automatics like the plague
Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - Fernando P

"Laguna 3 avoid the automatics like the plague " - Why?

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - daveyK_UK

Because the autobox self destructs, it happens quite alot with laguna 3 automatics

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - RobJP

Someone I used to work with bought one of the Laguna's at auction for a ridiculously cheap price. He asked a friend of his (a mechanic) why they were so cheap.

The answer : so many electronics problems, especially with the key cards, that could only be solved by main agents. Thus most in the trade wouldn't touch them, and they were just left for private buyers to bid for.

He ran it for 3 years without any problems. then it just died. Spent £200 on diagnostics, only to be told by Renault that it would need another £1k spending on it to get it back on the road. So it went to the scrappers.

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - focussed

Just out of interest I searched a well-known French site that is similar to ebay called LeBonCoin.

There are 8526 Renault Lagunas for sale in the whole of mainland France on that site.

78 are for sale for €250 or less - amusingly two of those are dealers!

But 944 of the total had done more than 250,000 km

I picked one at random that had done 300,000 km and still had an mot!

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - davros

Because the autobox self destructs...

You sure? I thought it was the manual box that had problems. The autobox is a Nissan (?) box, isn't it (Or JATCO?). Juts change the fluid every few years to be on the safe side. In my admittedly brief experience, the Laguna III is quite impressive (very comfy).

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - Steveieb
When. I bought my Espace I didn't realise that it's one way to get to know all the local recovery agents by first name.

I'm surprised the AA RAC etc don't charge a premium to cover French cars.. Such a shame to see them judged like this when you look back at the brilliant Renault 16 and 12.
Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - gordonbennet

Indeed, and one of the best cars i owned was a Renault 21 Savannah with the good old 2068cc Diesel, one of the most striking things being how such a soft ride could be combined with on-rails stability as well as being able to corner without any fuss whatsoever at quite amazing speeds...and without needing elastic bands stretched over umpteen inch wheels either.

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - DirtyDieselDogg

Ditto for the Renault 18 with the same diesel engine I imagine, bullet-proof bodywork and mechanicals, as tested by Father and 3 in turn adolescent Sons.

Sommat about the rear suspension failed somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 miles and, the engine still being sound, she was bought to (probably/almost certainly) finish out her days running on red diesel in the Glens(our local equivalent of Armagh's bandit country)

I still remember the boot-lid describing neausating/hypnotic circles as she was driven away by the quite unconcerned new owner.

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - HandCart

Sounds like that should have been a 'keeper', GB -

- just curious as to what happened to it ?

;-)

Renault Megane. - True value of a s/h Renault revealed. - glowplug

Having run 3 Scenics and also a Zoe it's interesting to note that most major parts are sourced from Bosch, Delphi, Siemens, Johnson Controls, etc.