20k a year - suitable car? - Project C

Hi all

I am sure this sort of thing gets asked all the time but it's nice to get up to date advice

My commute is about 60 miles a day on motorway and A roads, occasionally my wife will use it to go to one of her company's depots so on those days it will be a 130 mile round trip, again mostly A roads

We have a very limited budget and I certainly couldn't afford to go above 4k at the moment having just replaced our other car (wife uses for short journey to her main workplace)

I was thinking perhaps Diesel for this sort of annual mileage (20k) but hear no end of negative views on modern diesels

Do you think I should go diesel over petrol, and in which case are there any models you would recommend?

My main priorities are low costs and reliability, being fun to drive is an after thought. Having lived with a rather dull (but fairly reliable) picanto for 4 years anything would be more fun to drive, and certainly quicker :D

Advice appreciated :)

I should probably add - having done a few searches the same makes & models keep cropping up

Corsas

The odd Agila of Fiesta

Kia Rios

A variety of Cat Ds and French models

20k a year - suitable car? - bazza

I would choose a small to medium petrol engine.. You'll get 40 to 50mpg and will avoid the diesel pitfalls you may or may not encounter. So maybe a Yaris 1.3, Auris 1.33 or 1.6, Civic 1.8 ( more powerful but a v nice car) , Suzuki Swift 1.2, Fiesta 1.25 or 1.4. Any of these should last 150K with proper servicing and plenty around for your budget, with full service history (essential)

20k a year - suitable car? - John F

We have a very limited budget.....

I was thinking perhaps Diesel for this sort of annual mileage (20k) but hear no end of negative views on modern diesels....

Do you think I should go diesel over petrol......?

Yes. Try to find an old Skoda or Passat with the bullet proof untweaked 1.9

Hi

Thanks for your replies so far

Same question went to HJ & co and they suggested the Rio pre 2010 would be a good bet

How do people feel about the Agila, they were generally held in good regard on the reliability front as they were Suzuki built if I recall

I think a Diesel would make more sense for me given the nature of the driving

Do you think DPF really matters that much? That's considering the fact the car will be used for almost exclusively long runs, we can use the petrol car for the short drives into town

Thanks

20k a year - suitable car? - chriswales

Poor diesels, they seem to have a bad name these days. I’ve owned turbo diesel cars for 16 years and they’re normally ideal for a motorway commute.

I don’t have firsthand experience of a DPF but from what I’ve researched your driving routine should passively regenerate the DPF. If you buy a car that has an average 10k miles a year (use the MOT history website to confirm this). Hopefully you’ll avoid a car that’s mainly driven in towns and has done too many active regens.

From my understanding a DPF does have a limited life even if the car is driven in ideal conditions. During a regeneration the soot is burnt into a ash, since the filter is a sealed unit this cycle can only happen a finite number of times. But I haven’t been able to find much information on the possible service life of a DPF.

20k a year - suitable car? - John F

Poor diesels, they seem to have a bad name these days. I’ve owned turbo diesel cars for 16 years and they’re normally ideal for a motorway commute.

Quite right too - fuel of satan. Ideal for company car drivers who own them from 0 - 4yrs and dispose of them at 80,000m or so. However, the average punter spending their own money is more interested in next 8yrs/80,000m with the risk of a £1600 repair bill cancelling tuppence a mile fuel saving - quite apart from the perpetual guilt of antisocial emissions which should be more embarrassing than a transient f*** at a funeral.

20k a year - suitable car? - chriswales
- quite apart from the perpetual guilt of antisocial emissions which should be more embarrassing than a transient f*** at a funeral.

Used to find it rather amusing with my French diesel, when the turbo spooled up after town driving. There could be a noticeable amount of black smoke out the back, Did make me smile to see the expression of drivers behind change, if they’d been tailgating me through a 30mph area.

My current 1.9 TDI VAG engine despite not having a DPF doesn’t emit a similar smoke screen. So these days I just have to shake my head disapprovingly when I’m tailgated for sticking to the speed limits in urban areas.

20k a year - suitable car? - Wackyracer

During a regeneration the soot is burnt into a ash, since the filter is a sealed unit this cycle can only happen a finite number of times. But I haven’t been able to find much information on the possible service life of a DPF.

According to some sources 100,000miles minimum. But, cars that are neglected are likely to suffer earlier failures.

20k a year - suitable car? - Big John

I agree with John F - Look for a car with the 1.9 pd (100-130 bhp) VAG engine, no dpf and the 5 speed box (avoid the 6 speed at this age and keep clear of the more powerful version - 150bhp). The 130bhp feels rapid

At this price/age condition/service history is all

Edited by Big John on 30/04/2016 at 11:24

Hi all

thanks for your replies so far.

I looked for 1.9 vag engined cars recently and unsurprisingly they are hard to find

my options seem to be

vag 1.9

rio 1.5s

small petrol engine ie fiesta

anyone think it's worth keeping corsa or fiesta diesels in mind?

Edited by Project C on 30/04/2016 at 11:35

20k a year - suitable car? - John Boy

"How do people feel about the Agila, they were generally held in good regard on the reliability front as they were Suzuki built if I recall?"

I think I may be the only regular visitor to the forum who has an Agila B. You can read my assessment in the Owners Reviews here. Bear in mind that the Suzuki Splash is virtually identical.

I think HJ has got the Good and Bad sections for each, in the Car by Car reviews, about right. I also visit Suzuki and Vauxhall forms and the ABS issue crops up for Suzuki, but not for Vauxhall. A common problem is a rattle on tickover. On my car it sounded terminal and attracted a lot of attention, but in all cases it turns out to be a heat shield around the exhaust. The clips, which attach it, corrode - easily sorted with a couple of jubilee clips.

20k a year - suitable car? - RT

The Agila-A had excellent reliability with very low warranty costs for Opel/Vauxhall.

Suzuki built both the Splash and the Opel/Vauxhall Agila-B in Hungary, both versions using GM petrol engines and a Fiat diesel.

Suzuki replaced the Splash with the Celerio and Opel/Vauxhall replaced it with the Karl/Viva which is a Chevrolet Spark built in Korea by Daewoo (now known as GM Korea)

Hi all

have spotted a 2009 ceed 1.6 with fsh at a dealer we've known for years (therefore trust) only downside is it's a bit miley for what I need it to do (80k) but I guess you can't have it all

anyone got any experience of the 09 ceed, I would imagine they are fairly reliable?

I should add it is the diesel ceed

20k a year - suitable car? - ifekas

I have a 10 plate diesel Ceed which I have had for a couple of years, mine is an automatic, though. I have had one repair done under warranty, but it was for something minor; the doors occasionally wouldn't unlock when the key was removed.

It has the only car I have owned where I would have the same or another KIA. The 1.6 diesel is particularly impressive.

Thanks for the input so far.

rio 1.5

ceed 1.6

older vag 1.9 cars

any other suggestions for a cheap to run reliable diesel?

20k a year - suitable car? - Avant

Don't ignore Fords: their big advantage is that there are more of them out there to choose from, at all price levels, and I think the only one to be careful about is the 1.6 TDCI engine which had problems some years ago. There'll be information in the car-by-car review section of this site.

You'd find a 2-litre Focus very little more expensive to run than one with a smaller engine.

Thanks

the more I read about all these expensive diesel ailments the more I think a petrol fiesta might be the answer

A petrol Fiesta a consideration but for me it would be a bit too small for a 20k miles a year commute and not that economical

As previously mentioned another suggestion would be a Kia diesel (Ceed, etc...) as they weren't fitted with DPF's until mid 2010 (MY 2011). They are also very reliable and good value

Edited by Big John on 02/05/2016 at 23:23

Thanks

Having had an entirely unsuitable 1.0 Picanto for the last 4 years I can attest to the reliability of them (apart from a random coil pack issue which may be linked to the ECU). Not fancy cars but it doesn't need to be. Reliability is king here.

Lot of positive things about Kia diesels then - I'm leaning towards the Rio 1.5

Hi all

I saw an ad for a skoda superb 1.9 2008 and was wondering does anyone know if this is the famed bulletproof 1.9?

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI PD Classic

excuse my stupidity it was an octavia not a superb

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI PD Classic

Yes it's the reliable 1.9 Pump deuce . Just avoid any versions with a DPF such as Superb 1.9 Greenline - the PD engine is a great engine without DPF but it's base design struggles with and active regeneration when DPF fitted as the unit injector pumps are cam pressurised (once per cam rotation/ every two crank rotations), and electronically fired

Make sure you drive one.. It's reliable but may seem unrefined compared to later CR engines

Edited by Big John on 07/05/2016 at 22:19

Thanks for your input!

Looks like my definitive final list is something like this

Fiesta 1.4 (I can cope with the lack of power) from around 2006-8
Rio 1.5 from around 2008-10
Cee'd 1.6 from around 2008-10
VAG 1.9 units as discussed above

Will be a case of trying to find one that's been well looked after as I intend to keep it as long as humanly possible, and so it's likely to end up (all being well/subject to reliability) with 150-200k on the clock

Cheers

Hi all

update. I have seen the following cars, any I should avoid?

2006 skoda octavia 1.9tdi PD 65k miles

skoda fabia1.4tdi PD 2008 55k miles

fiesta1.4tcdi 2007 50k miles

kia rio1.5crdi 2008 60k miles

another rio 2007 74k but 700 quid cheaper

ceed 1.6crdi 2009 80k

ceed as above 2007 55k

20k a year - suitable car? - steelghost

Don't overlook the mk1 Hyundai i30 - diesel or petrol, it's essentially the same car as a Kia Ceed. We had a diesel one on an 09 plate which was absolutely reliable. We sold it last year as we needed a bigger car but it felt like it would keep going for a long long time. Really economical on a run (and not at all bad around town either). If you get one with a 5 speed box it should be without a DPF - we bought ours at about 8 months old in January 2010. If I recall correctly, they went 6 speed / DPF from summer 2010 production. Even so, the DPF ones have still been pretty good if the "car-by-car" on here is anything to go by. The base spec ones are on nice comfy 15in wheels and still have everything you need to be comfy on a commute.

Edited by steelghost on 17/05/2016 at 11:00

20k a year - suitable car? - gordonbennet

Don't overlook the mk1 Hyundai i30 -

I suppose most private buyers prefer the Ceed for the extra 2 years warranty, not many private ownere would be better off with the unlimited mileage of the Hyundfai cover over 5 years.

Personally i prefer Kia designs too, if there's little to no difference in the cars underpinnings i'd probably buy a Kia in preference, as always one mans meat etc.

20k a year - suitable car? - RT

On a pedantic note, Kia's are essentially the same as Hyundai's - when Kia was in financial trouble the South Korean government got Hyundai to take them on and all their new model engineering came from Hyundai from then on.

again thanks for your replies!

I see very little negative feedback regarding the Ceed/Rio and i30/i20 (although the Kias seem more plentiful and slightly cheaper on the second hand market)

Does either the Ceed's 1.6 or Rio's 1.5 have any known issues engine wise? I've struggled to find any, especially for the Rio, which I guess is positive!