Ford Focus vs Seat Leon - Heraclitus

Hello HonestJohn people!

I am in a delema atm, looking to buy a either a petrol 1.6 Ford Focus or a petrol 1.6 Seat Leon but unsure which one to go for.

Ford Focus (autotrader link)

Seat Leon (autotrader link)

Any suggestions would be very very welcome!

Thank you

Edited by Heraclitus on 28/04/2016 at 12:32

Ford Focus vs Seat Leon - RobJP

At that sort of price, history and condition are most critical. If one of them has got (for example) a massive folder of past receipts, etc, then that's the one to realistically go for.

If pushed to decide just from the adverts though, I'd edge more towards the Ford. Those alloys on the SEAT say 'boy racer' to me.

In addition, the Ford comes with a 3 month warranty, the SEAT with 1 month. While technically both of those are actually illegal (the selling garage is responsible for faults that happen within 6 months of sale) the Ford one does have a little more cover.

Thanks for the informative reply!

I agree with the "boy racer" statement, the car must have be driven pretty hard during those 90k miles.

I'm probably asking to much but could you please take a look at these other ford focuses?

Version - Seller - Milage --- Cost -- Insurance -- Tax -- Total

Zetec C. --- T --- 74000 --- 2495 ---- 1400 ------ 180 -- 2675

Zetec C. --- T --- 65000 --- 2495 ---- 1398 ------ 180 -- 2675

Zetec C. --- T --- 55000 --- 2495 ---- 1347 ------ 180 -- 2675 (the one linked above)

Zetec C. --- P --- 72500 --- 2150 ---- 1403 ------ 180 -- 2330

Thank you!!

Edited by Heraclitus on 28/04/2016 at 13:18

If I was going to see any of those, I'd go and look at the private sale one. Newly serviced, new cambelt and waterpump.

Though do be aware that the MOT runs out in 2 months. But you could always offer to pay for it to be tested now. Could be a very worthwhile £55.

Thanks, I really appreciate you spending the time to see these cars!

I'll probably go and see the private one tomorrow!

Good luck.

Remember, when you're there, don't get attached. It's a piece of metal. If possible, take a friend who knows their way around cars.

A few (very) basics. take off the oil filler cap. Look at the underside of the cap. A failed head gasket will mean there will be a 'mayonnaise' there. Though that can also happen with cars that aren't getting much use (in which case it's being caused by condensation)

Check the depth and condition of all the tyres - the spare too. Including the make. Good condition tyres, and a good brand, means the owner has been willing to spend on the car.

Check receipts for the cambelt / waterpump and recent service.

If the owner takes it for a drive with you as passenger, wind down your window. It's amazing what you can hear (wheel bearings on the way out, etc).

Also remember : what do you think of the seller. Do they seem trustworthy ? Because you may be buying a car partly on that trust.

Finally, don't be scared to walk away if it isn't right. Too many people buy trouble.

But it 'looks' like a good honest advert.