Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - daveyK_UK

vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-news/new-vans/2016-04/cv.../

Great news!

LDV are back and as it appears beter than ever (not hard!).

The UK has been crying out for a cheap new medium and large van, there is no equivalent of a Dacia in the commercial market.

Some people might point out DFSK www.dfskuk.com/ , but their vehicles are the smallest commercials around, and while selling better than expected, are for a very limited market.

Lets hope the Chinese have improved the build quality, component quality and reliability.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 27/04/2016 at 23:50

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - Wackyracer

Dacia did (maybe still do) make a van version of the old shape Dacia Logan. They never bothered to make new side panels for the van version so it has 4 doors with the rear door windows panelled in.

Edited by Wackyracer on 28/04/2016 at 01:49

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - Auristocrat

Toyota make a van version of the Auris hatchback for some markets (eg Ireland) - five doors, load area in place of rear seats, mesh bulkhead, etc.

SAIC actually bought the production line for the Maxus and shipped it out to China from Washwood Heath, Birmingham.

Edited by Auristocrat on 28/04/2016 at 10:53

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - mhenderson

Certainly not hard to make it better ! The ones I used at work were awful things.

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - Cris_on_the_gas

yes if they are like the old ones look out for one broken down near you

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - galileo

yes if they are like the old ones look out for one broken down near you

When the firm I worked for opened an assembly plant in China they were meticulous in checking the components we sent them - unless parts were spot on mid-limit of drawing dimensions they would ask why and expect the next delivery to be better.

I hear that in the arms market, Chinese made AK47's command a higher price than any others (except Russian originals) and Norinco (Chinese arms maker) could (a few years ago) sell their products in the USA, where customers are keen on quality.

Some of the reports from those press reporters who attended the commercial show have commented how impressed they where with the LDV MPV and G10 panel van they had on display.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 01/05/2016 at 08:02

Finally spotted one today, 66 plate being used as a courier van

Has the DFSK vans UK importer gone bust?

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - Fishermans Bend

LDV = Large Dreadful Van.

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - badbusdriver

The trouble is, like the DFSK, the list prices are still too high, especially for the age of the design. Just out of curiosity i had a look on autotrader at the V80 swb. Cheapest was £12995 (delivery mileage). If i go on the new van finder on autotrader, i can find a new swb citroen relay, fiat ducato, peugeot boxer, nissan nv400, renault master or vauxhall movano for less than a grand more. Granted the LDV has a more powerful engine (136bhp), but still, i cant see many punters buying them unless they base their decision solely on the list price and dont actually have a proper look to see what else is available. It seems the LDV's are all pretty high spec, which seems to be a strange route to take. They should make a basic, bog standard version with the 95bhp engine, and price them under £10k. Then they would fly out the door, esp with the 5 year warranty being offered.

Advertised on billboard I passed at £168 a month plus VAT including 5 year warranty, 5 years breakdown and I think it was 5 years servicing?

Agree about list price, they need to flog them for a year or so at cost to get market penetration.

SAIC can afford to play a long term game
Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - Chrome

Certainly not hard to make it better ! The ones I used at work were awful things.

We have a couple of LDV's as second vehicles on the works fleet, these vans were old when they were new! Ours are 13 years old with rust / doors that don't shut properly/ a bonnet that requires 2-persons to open/ horrid seats/ trim that is warped and cracked/ the horrible rubber dash insert that hides the fuse box/ miserly cab storage space/ a fuel tank filler with silly angle meaning forecourt fuel pumps constantly click off/ door mirrors positioned for impact at normal car mirror height/ heater that is permanently on. I could go on....

However they do keep going and are easily repaired when (not if) they go wrong. I also like the driving position and visibility, these vans make my humble Rio feel like one posh drive :)

I must admit a prior hatred of LDV's - 20 years ago I was a passenger in a mini-bus variant which broke down on the way to Manchester airport.

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - JEREMYH

I think you are top people on this site

but you are just too fussy

Just drive the thing

If it will start !

Finally LDV is back - the UK has cheap vans again - badbusdriver

When i think of LDV,i think of the pilot, and when i think of the pilot, i cant help thinking of Richard Kiel squashed into the cab of a leyland sherpa bouncing across the sand in 'The spy who loved me'!

But thats possibly just me!?

But i wouldnt have any qualms about the reliability of the LDV pilot, not with that indestructible 1.9 peugeot diesel under the bonnet!

DFSK have a new UK importer

no news story on HJ, so here is a link

www.autoexpress.co.uk/dfsk/99277/dfsk-budget-van-r...k

the sandwich delivery van owner will be happy, he swears by his one