Astra damaged spark plug thread? - Andrew Scott
On replacing the sparkplugs on my 1.4 Astra 1993 Model yesterday, I found that I couldn\'t tighten 1 new plug properly. The other 3 had a nice solid feel, the forth not.
Obviously I realise I have an alloy head, am I being neurotic in refusing to tighten the plug fully? or by stopping am I saving the spark plug thread from being stripped?.

If the thread needs to be replaced is this a head off job and a trip to an engineering works, or can the job be done without any dismatling?

What are your views?
Astra damaged spark plug thread? - Peter D
How did they feel when you took them out and were you using a torque wrench to tighten them in. How far has the plug got to go and have you tried tighening up when the engine is hoy. Did if feel ok all then way to the last turn or was it wrong from the start. Regards Peter
Astra damaged spark plug thread? - Paul F
try refitting the old plug to see if the problem re-occurs, if it does, i'm afraid that the thread may be stripped. I seem to think there is a product that is called a helicoil insert that may help. In future, it's always best to lightly grease the thread on the plug before fitting it.
Good luck
Paul
Astra damaged spark plug thread? - orack
try cleaning out the thread with a "thread chaser" from most acc shops. If req.ti can be helicoiled in situe But the kit is exprnsive expect £30-40 + labour
Astra damaged spark plug thread? - Dynamic Dave
There's a previous thread somewhere in here - quite possibly to do with a stripped plug on a Ford Ka engine. Anyway, IIRC one of the suggestions made was to cut a slot in the old spark plug thread and use that to recut the thread in the head. If I can find it, I'll post the link later.