Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - hyb

I get a flashing coil light on my dash if:

I leave the car stationary with engine running, after exactly 40 seconds it comes on with Engine Fault - Workshop

Or

If I drive the car for longer no fault message but as soon as the revs drop below 10k revs it comes on. I have reproduced this behaviour when stationery too. As long as the revs stay above 10k the car is happy.

Drives fine regardless of message.

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Wukl

I suspect any diesel kept above 10,00rpm will very soon expire.

Is the coil light you describe what VW use to signify glow plug operation?

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like a brake light switch fault.Common issue on this model.Check operation of the brake lights.Even if they are working ok,it can still be a switch fault,as it is a multifunction device.

Sounds like a brake light switch fault.Common issue on this model.Check operation of the brake lights.Even if they are working ok,it can still be a switch fault,as it is a multifunction device.

I've looked into this today, I don't think the mk5 has this switch unless you say I'm wrong but I couldn't find it on my brake pedal

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Big John

If not above the brake pedal, look a the base of the master cylinder

Yes glow plug icon flashes

This is the fault code

wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18995/P2563/0095...1

Car had a new actuator and given the behaviors as described above do you think it's a vacuum issue? Would a wiring issue not be more inconsistent.

I made it all the way to work 15miles on main roads keeping above 1k revs and as soon as I had to stop at a roundabout it came on.

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Big John

Hmm,

Reading further - think your turbo variable vanes have gummed up. You probably need a new turbo although there are reports of using mr muscle oven cleaner to fix:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUAfzi5BdM

Edited by Big John on 30/04/2016 at 12:00

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Cyd

Yep, variable vane turbos are prone to the vanes gumming up. try an italian tune first. Then get a quote for removing and cleaning.

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Railroad.
Try Innotec Turbo Clean and follow the instructions to the letter. I've used it a few times and it's never let me down yet.

www.innotecworld.com/products/sets-systems.php?pro...6

Something I have missed off the original post is that the turbo is 4months old.

I have been giving it a good drive lately but still coming on consistently

Fuses all checked.

Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Vw Golf mk5 TDI Sportline - Flashing coil - Railroad.
Check ALL vacuum hoses for security and condition. Or better still buy a length of suitable hose and replace them all. It is essential that they are all in perfectly good condition for the turbo actuator, EGR valve and anti-shudder valve to operate correctly.

Just to give you an update. Car was examined by vw dealer and turbo actuator (also less than a year old) was replaced under warranty and has resolved the issue.