Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - james0151

I have had my cambelt changed on friday just gone, when i dropped it off all was fine.Picked it up on monday and was asked if it had been smokey on start up and i replied yes for about 2-3 seconds. I started my van up to be greeted with a james bond smoke cloud and it also sounds like it is mis firing . I called the guy over who did the belt change and asked him why it was like this to which he replied (it may be your injectors ). Ffs i didnt bring it in to you like this. Anyway i needed the van for work so took it home. Now i serviced this van 2 days earlier and was underneath it and all was ok except a bit of an oil leak front and rear. When i got the van home and popped the bonnet i was greeted with an injector leaking and the pump leaking aswell , i rang the garage up and was told to bring it back the next day. They have sorted the leaks but not the smoke and have now been told it may be the injectors again, i have explained that the van has no power and these type of injectors don't just go like that and they go over time. Well its booked in again tomorrow. I have suggested fuel pump out of sync but was tolt they have checked it three times.

Before cambelt change When drove in was a bit smokey on acceleration also on first start up.

Now . Smokes like its been on 60 woodbine a day for a 100 years , down on power , drinking diesel like its going out of fashion.

Any input off you guys and girls will be much appreciated

Edited by james0151 on 13/04/2016 at 22:17

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - focussed

It sounds like the spanner monkey got the pump and/or the cam timing seriously wrong.

Find another workshop where they know what they are doing is my advice.

Basic workshop practice says "If it doesn't work properly after you messed with it don't go looking for other reasons why it doesn't work - go back to what you did when you messed with it and check that what you did was correct"

Of couse, this approach may involve having to admit that you screwed up first time round-instead of making excuses.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - Peter.N.

Agreed, sounds as though injection pump is running one tooth retarded.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - Fernando P

"Agreed, sounds as though injection pump is running one tooth retarded."

I also agree. The injection pump is retarded and sounds like the wrong mark on the flywheel has been used - perhaps the "0" serial number.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - gordonbennet

Have a feeling you're going to end up at a proper Diesel workshops getting the whole thing retimed.

This isn't one of those engines with no woodruff key so the camshaft sprocket can be anywhere on the shaft i suppose? similar to that wonderful bit of VW design on the otherwise superb 2.4 6 pot LT van lump? no one could ever get the timing out on that.../face palm.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - james0151

Cheers guys, it went back in this morning. They're gona check the timing again even tho they said it's been checked twice. Will keep you informed

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - Wackyracer

Sounds like one of those garages that thinks that a bottle of tipex and twist it 90 degrees is a perfect substitute for correct tools and proceedures on belt changing.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - John F

Heigh ho - yet another sad story. I do wonder if these post-inept-service disasters would outnumber the disasters that might occur if everyone just left their cambelts alone until they started making an odd noise or looked significantly worn. That's what I have always done and I haven't yet had a disaster in hundreds of thousands of miles and 35yrs. Although I do pick my engines very carefully.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - gordonbennet

I have had one belt snap, on a Volvo 245 i'd only just bought.

Non interference engine, new belt marked with three different markers which coincided with same markers found on the approriate pulleys which in turn lined up with marks on engine casting, nothing could be simpler no workshop manual needed self explanatory, once i'd got the kit probably half an hour saw the job done all cars should be like this.

The engine in my Landcruiser is supposed to be non interference, but quad cam, fed by two timing belt camshaft sprockets, i preferred not to get involved with thanks all the same, Toyota charged me just over £300 incl coolant renewal, which was cheaper than any indy quote, not worth not doing IMHO.

Quite why some makers have made their vehicles so difficult to work on i have no idea, as JohnF, there are many makes and models i won't go near because of such design.

Seen some pics on another forum, starter failed on footballers Bentley, front of car off, engine completely removed, then dismantle plumbing and manifolds etc from one side to access the starter...who dreams up something like this, not as i'd want one of the horrid things i hasten to add.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - Wackyracer

I have had one belt snap, on a Volvo 245 i'd only just bought.

Non interference engine, new belt marked with three different markers which coincided with same markers found on the approriate pulleys which in turn lined up with marks on engine casting, nothing could be simpler no workshop manual needed self explanatory, once i'd got the kit probably half an hour saw the job done all cars should be like this.

I've done some that are remarkably simple to do, and have a spring to set tension and then the tensioner is bolted solid in the right place and does not rely on the spring to maintain tension.

The engine in my Landcruiser is supposed to be non interference, but quad cam, fed by two timing belt camshaft sprockets, i preferred not to get involved with thanks all the same, Toyota charged me just over £300 incl coolant renewal, which was cheaper than any indy quote, not worth not doing IMHO.

That is a very good price.

Seen some pics on another forum, starter failed on footballers Bentley, front of car off, engine completely removed, then dismantle plumbing and manifolds etc from one side to access the starter...who dreams up something like this, not as i'd want one of the horrid things i hasten to add.

There are some Audi's that require a similar amount of work to change the thermostat that lives behind the timing belt. front of car off, radiator out, timing belt off etc. Rather stupid design in my opinion and if they are going this route, why not use a better quality thermostat? I suppose we already know the answer to that, it only has to last until the warranty runs out and then they can scalp the cars owner for replacing it.

There are some Audi's that require a similar amount of work to change the thermostat that lives behind the timing belt. front of car off, radiator out, timing belt off etc. Rather stupid design in my opinion.......

As always, it's a compromise. Packing a 12cyl engine plus quattro under the bonnet is a fantastic piece of design and engineering. If you are a low mileage driver and like such cars the best way to afford one is to find a well kept low mileage model for tens of thousands of pounds less than many folk seem happy to spend on new/nearly new more mundane machinery, gamble that they will be reliable and be prepared for a four figure bill if they are not.

Peugeot Boxer 2.5 2001 smoking after belt change - csgmart

Heigh ho - yet another sad story. I do wonder if these post-inept-service disasters would outnumber the disasters that might occur if everyone just left their cambelts alone until they started making an odd noise or looked significantly worn. That's what I have always done and I haven't yet had a disaster in hundreds of thousands of miles and 35yrs. Although I do pick my engines very carefully.

Had one go on an XR3i (remember those?) - I was lucky it snapped when idling and after replacing the belt (which had stripped several teeth) it worked fine afterwards.

I have to say that was the worst car I ever owned - hardly ever on the road due to breakdowns - I was glad to get shot of it after only a short time.

Had one go on an XR3i (remember those?)...

Yes I do! And here's an old post on the subject!!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7920

I think I might be the only surviving poster from it - my current cambelt (16yrs and counting) has clearly lasted longer than they have!