carburetted engines. MAYBE coked DI - DOT 3 Carb Cleaner - edlithgow

I'm trying DOT3 as a carb cleaner right now and it seems very effective, though it might have been an idea to soak test on some expendable aluminium and brass before going "Live".

Since its not designed for this use, I can't rule out lurking gotcha's, but advantages include:-

(a) Much less volatile, so you can leave it to soak-in and it wont evaporate.

(b) much less toxic, and ventilation isn't so critical.(see above)

(c) water-miscible, especially useful if you wash parts (or the whole thing) in boiling laundry detergent, which was my standard procedure with motorcycle carbs.

(Dunno if I'll try it with this one (which is a lot more complicated) though.)

(d) rubber-friendly in general, and specifically, hypodermic-syringe friendly. I use syringes to blow out small passages/jets (formerly with water/detergent). You can't do that with carb cleaner because it attacks the piston rubber.

(e) Free (if you use used fluid) and almost free if you use unused fluid since it has a limited storage life once opened. (This assumes you change your own brake fluid)

Doesn't repel mosquitos though frown.

I suppose not many people have carbs on cars anymore so it isn't of much contemporary relevance ("Delayed Developments : Solving Yesterdays Problems, Today") except maybe for motorcycles.

However, I'm told that current DI engines suffer from coked-up intake valves, because there isn't any petrol in the intake tracts to clean them, and the blowby from the EGR/crankcase ventilation system makes them dirty (I'd expect it to have been happening to diesels for ever, then, but dunno if it has)

Perhaps a soak in brake fluid, followed up by a water spray in a running engine, might help with that too?

(Dunno how it'd affect a catalyst though.)

Edited by edlithgow on 06/04/2016 at 15:47

carburetted engines. MAYBE coked DI - DOT 3 Carb Cleaner - hardway

Interesting,

though I do recall a TV demo where what looked like an XR3 with a smoking hot engine with the bonnet open,

Anywoo TV guy poured about a 1/4 liter of petrol onto the very hot exhaust manifold,

cue huge clouds of smoke and not much else.

Very different story when he did the same with brake fluid,

WHOOSH flames going above the open bonnet lip!!

Brake fluid really like to burn.

And there was a fire brigade guy there not just for saftey but to tell that Brake fluid leaks onto hot exhaust were a huge problem for them,

instand BBQ.

So be careful.

Good for getting bonfires going though.

carburetted engines. MAYBE coked DI - DOT 3 Carb Cleaner - Bolt

Almost all underbonnet fluids will flash given the correct temps, including coolant.!

Well, given what a carburettor is for, if I'm putting brake fluid in it, IF I didn't wash it out afterwards (which I do) , the fact that it burns shouldn't really be that much of a problem.

Not that it really matters, but I don't think I accept the implication that brake fluid is more flammable than petrol. Or carb cleaner for that matter.

I vaguely remember seeing an MSDS for brake fluid and (IIRC) it didn't give a flash point?

Even if it was more flammable, I'd still be more likely to start a fire with it while flushing my braking system, than while cleaning a carburettor.

The biggest risk with that (whatever you use) is getting stuff in your eyes.

Before and after pictures of DOT3 cleaning in my recent The Snake Pit post.

DOT4 might work too. DOT 5.1 (IIRC the silicone stuff) probably wouldn't, and I've read somewhere it turns into synthetic sand if ingested into an engine, so it'd be a bad thing in your carburettor.

If you want to talk about FIRE HAZARDS, I can post my recent neochoke experiment for your entertainment.

Watch this space (above)

I looked it up (sad, I know)

Flash point of Valvoline Brake Fluid was given as 133C.

(Presumably higher once its absorbed some water, as old brake fluid will have.)

Flash point of petrol was given as -43C

carburetted engines. MAYBE coked DI - DOT 3 Carb Cleaner - Bolt

Far from sad, the flash point isnt allways given as it can occur at lower temps and depends on various conditions.

you usually find after an accident where the master cylinder has sheered its mounting the brake fluid flashes before the fuel, so their is no given flash point it depends on circumstances at the time

Far from sad, the flash point isnt allways given as it can occur at lower temps and depends on various conditions.

you usually find after an accident where the master cylinder has sheered its mounting the brake fluid flashes before the fuel, so their is no given flash point it depends on circumstances at the time

I'm pretty sure flash point will be quoted under defined laboratory conditions. The Valvoline site quotes ASTMS D93.

www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/brake__45...d(554)/product-information

Of course those conditions won't necessarily apply during an accident, and I am not suggesting that brake fluid can't burn.

I'm suggesting that its flammability isn't likely to be a safety issue while cleaning a carburettor, especially when compared to the usual alternatives.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/04/2016 at 17:11