Continental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - Eddy56

a while back I was here lamenting the lack of decent quality foot pumps (and 12v compressors). I was cursing again on the weekend as I tried to inflate the tyres on my knackered old B5.5 Passat which was being collected for scrap. My Machine Mart 12v compressor packed up before it had inflated the first tyre, the plastic piston seems to overheat and sieze. Anyway, I had a brain wave - the wife's C-max had one of those useless puncture repair kits which I replaced in favour of a space saver. I found the kit in the garage and the compressor which came with it - a Continental ContiMobility - and it turns out it's actually pretty good. It feels re-assuringly heavy and by the sound in use has metal working components. It sounds like a compresor should when on, not a strained death rattle like the plastic jobs. It inflated each tyre from flat in under a minute. You can pick them up for £20 on ebay and my impressions are these are a much better quality item than the usual Chinese made 12v jobs. I've purchased another to keep in our Outlander. The only criticsm so far is the pressure gauge was flicking around all over the place in use but settled when you turn off and compared with a small digital gauge I use for my motorbike, was accurate.

Continental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - daveyjp

I've had similar experience with an Audi pump supplied with my A2 and a Mercedes compressor I borrowed at Christmas.

As my manual pump had failed I bought a Ring electric model and this also feels solid. It has pressure set and auto cut off and when I checked the pressures my pen type gauge gave the set reading - about £25 from Amazon.

It also works very well when I'm inflating rugby balls to just 10-11 psi.

Continental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - Steveieb

I imagine you were quite upset to say farewell to the old Passat.

Perhaps you may get picked up in it when you call an Uber taxi or when you visit Romania on your summer holidays !

Continental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - Eddy56

yes, I will miss the Passat, was a good car and served me well for 8 years but suddenly everyting started to go wrong and it just wasn't viable to repair. It will be sold at the Copart auction of sheds, insurance write-offs and stolen/recovered vehicles in Sandwich (I sold it to Car Take Back but Copart collected it), which does a good trade in sending stuff over to eastern europe given the proximity of the auction site to Dover. It may well end up as a Romanian taxi, I rather hope it does..

TContinental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - Steveieb
Thanks Eddy.

Ive ordered one.

Did your Passat have a cam let and clutch change and if so at what mileage ?
TContinental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - Eddy56

Passat was running orginal clutch, but I did a lot of motorway miles in it. Cam belt was changed at approx 75k, was about due another but delayed as I knew it was on borrowed time with a gearbox bearing problem getting worse. Nail in the coffin was recurrence of the cursed water ingress around the pollen filter housing and then emergence of a mis-fire. And the alloys corroded and weren't holding air. Decided it was time to call it day. Shame, was a decent motor and I'd hoped to get 200k out of it, just bad luck.

Dear Eddy,

The compressor has arrived without instructions and I can't work out how to use the device without the sealant bottle which it didnt come with.

Can you tell me how to operate the compressor without the bottle ? Is there a switch or do you operate it the same?

it works fine without the sealant bottle. Just connect the hose to the tyre and turn it on at the switch. cheers.

Got the unit on eBay and when I connected up and switched on the pump the gauge did not register and the tyre started to deflate.

Any ideas what could be wrong Eddy ?
Tried the compressor on another tyre and the same thing happened. So it's off to the garage to use their pump .

The connection on the valve is fine yet the air rushes out through the unit.

It must be faulty !
TContinental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - hillman

I'm still using the foot pump that my father gave to me during the 1950s when he no longer needed it. It still works fine. He advised me to oil the bellows occasionally - I didn't think that wise, but as I said, it still works fine. I have the tyres filled with nitrogen so I only use the pump for emergencies. Emergencies like when I went to the Screwfix store to buy something for someone else and picked up a screw. The old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" proved true. That cost me a new tyre, as when some scrote stabbed the offside front tyre.

TContinental ContiMobility Compressor - good! - alan1302

I have the tyres filled with nitrogen

I have mine around 80% filled with it :-)

sorry to hear you're having bother Stevie. I wonder if yours has been used with the slime? Is the orange cap fixed in place over the socket where the gloop bottle would be attached? Mine has never been used with the slime and the orange cap is in place in the slime socket..