Consumer Rights Act in practice - scot22

I was recently interested in a car. Before going to see I decided to check warranty on offer.

Reference was made to being available up to 24 months costs varying as to cover, time etc. No mention was made of dealer warranty.

I have read cases here of dealers trying to push complaints towards warranty company. Posters received good advice.

I now have no intention of going to see the car, on the basis that seeking redress for any faults might be stressful ! My understanding is that there must be a guarantee for 6 months. If this is the case why don't dealers acknowledge it ? ( it would be good for reputation )

Is my understanding correct ? Has anyone experience of difficulties using this legislation ?

Consumer Rights Act in practice - gordonbennet

There's dealers and dealers.

The Benz we bought some 13 years ago, the dealer told us the warranty supplied with the car wasn't worth the paper it was written on, can't say fairer than that.

The dealer we bought the Landcruiser from was quite up front, it was 15 years old but he was quite open that anything serious going in the first 6 months was down to him (i doubt he'd have been interested in a leaking rad nor would i have expected him to), no aftermarket offered nor wanted.

As with most things in life, if the person before you walks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

If you want a decent warranty then its either within the makers warranty period...this is where Kia beat the rest into a cocked hat...or buy a makers approved used, the warranties of which are normally as good as they come.

I use an excellent indy garage, so outside of 3 years no benefit, because I've got a garage that treats me well, so I'm loyal.

Approved used does appeal.

Thanks for your usual well informed comments.

Consumer Rights Act in practice - pd

There is no requirement for a "warranty" for 6 months.

There are rights under consumer legislation but it isn't a warranty and what those rights may consist of vary enormously.

Time wise it may, in practice, be a lot less or a lot more than 6 months.

Consumer Rights Act in practice - slkfanboy

I would suggest going to a main dealer and rely on the sales of goods act. that is quite strong rather than a warranty, unless you buy new.

I suspect I may be a little muddled with the semantics. I have considered the entitlement to repair/replacement to be a guarantee. However, I now appreciate rights for goods supplied differfrom the nature of a guarantee.

It is a pity that legislation is not clearer and practical implementation enforced without creating a lot of stress for a buyer.

Let's have clarity !

Consumer Rights Act in practice - gordonbennet

I would expect people like you Scot, who investigate things sensibly and thoroughly before dishing out your hard earned are less likely to buy a poor car from an unsrupulous dealer in the first place, these pages have been littered with threads over the years with people who bought first and then when their purchase went awry decide to do the searching they should have done first.

Buyer beware has always been valid, that will never change, but maybe today with cars you have to be doubly wary, whereas there might have been a few shall we say independantly minded motoring journalists about, the HJ's of modern motoring journalism are few and far between...as witnessed by the utter worship of the VW and other makers cash machines by much of the motoring media, the unwary buyer who reads certain magazines and didn't look elswhere, such as here, could imagine they are buying into motoring utopia simply by investing in certain badges.

Thanks.

Its because I was taken advantage of a few occasions that I became cautious. I found the HJ site and my knowledge has increased significantly. There are a few 'prawns' on the forum but far outweighed by the others.